The PawByte Codenamed "Flyght" Console

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do feel that a lot of reality checking needs to be done in this project :(

Its a distinct lack of clarity, stated aims, names of possible hardware suppliers or companies involved in making the proposed console, names of other team members, their roles and areas of expertise, a possible defined niche for this console. What if any software that will be developed etc.

To be successful selling computing equipment, either your hardware or your software must be new and exciting.

So far I see a generic PC with a nondescript controller with no special software.

Without either you are very unlikely to enthuse the nerdy FOSS crowd (which I gather is the aim of the PB)

I suggest that you come back in a year's time when the pawbyte is more than a dream. From what I can see in this thread, there are plenty of grand plans, but no cold-hearted, down-to-earth practicalities.

A console for open/indie development sounds great, but for are you planning to attract devs? How are you going to attract customers?

I don't really understand how exclusivity is a good thing. You're basically just limiting the choice of the customer. It won't take your nerdy audience an hour to set up any PC they want (be it as cheap and/or as powerful as they see fit) with a TV, any controller they want and a TV-centric Linux distro with any game that runs on x86 Linux. Why should they buy your console instead?

They could probably even play your exclusive games, what keeps people from buying them and installing them on other hardware? DRM? On an open source friendly system?

Developers have lots of SDKs cheaply/freely available for x86 PCs, why should they limit themselves to your console and your software?

I don't really understand how exclusivity is a good thing. You're basically just limiting the choice of the customer. It won't take your nerdy audience an hour to set up any PC they want (be it as cheap and/or as powerful as they see fit) with a TV, any controller they want and a TV-centric Linux distro with any game that runs on x86 Linux. Why should they buy your console instead?

They could probably even play your exclusive games, what keeps people from buying them and installing them on other hardware? DRM? On an open source friendly system?

Developers have lots of SDKs cheaply/freely available for x86 PCs, why should they limit themselves to your console and your software?
This.

Exactly this.

I don't really understand how exclusivity is a good thing.
It's a calculable number and a fixed target for producers. You don't understand how it's a good thing because you're a consumer. As a consumer, I'd think it would be a good thing if everything was entirely free, but that's not going to happen, the producers need their money. In a similar way, the producers need certain guarantees and exclusivity is one of the ways they get those.

Great speech, but I'm sorry to say that he will probably just answer "thanks for your feedback"   ^_^

More popcorn \o/
quote++

Announcing a product so long before you have anything to announce is a bad idea. Sort of like crying wolf:

Look! Cool new product coming soon!

OK, I'll wait

We're designing a wonderful console!

So where are the designs then?

New console will be available soon!

Yeah, whatever, boring, we've heard that one before...

This post just nail it.

Specially now, when we already have GPUs with GDDR5 like GTX 670 DC in a Mini-ITX form factor on the market.

asus_mini_gtx670_dc-600x523.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We will never need a console if you just by solely hardware.

Sorry for the late replies guys, still debriefing and processing Flourish! 2013.

Also, this was an early thread, but it produced and still produces what is needed, early feedback.

We will never need a console if you just by solely hardware.

Sorry for the late replies guys, still debriefing and processing Flourish! 2013.

Also, this was an early thread, but it produced and still produces what is needed, early feedback.
I think the problem everyone is having, or perhaps I should just say myself, is that you haven't shown us anything to comment on. There is no console or controller. That's fine if you just want peoples opinions on what they believe a console should have, in that light perhaps just ask that question directly.

I must admit I was annoyed when you made us wait saying there will be an announcement in the future which we assumed to be the console reveal, only for that announcement to come by and there was no console or even the  controller . I imagine I wasn't the only one annoyed

So unless you want some feedback on what the console should have feature wise , I'd suggest not posting in this thread again until you do have a physical console to show. It will save anymore negative comments being added to this thread.

If his console is nothing more than a pc made with off-the-shelves components running a slightly customized linux with a slightly customized repository, he'll still get negative comments  ^_^

And if the tower design is more or less inspired by the "gamepad" it's going to be a cardboard box  :p

@Thinkpad : nice, I didn't know they were making ITX-sized video cards. The time is back for me to think about buying and making a compact gaming rig and connect it to the TV!

They are just normal full height PCI-e cards, can get them in half height too. That GTX670 happens to fit the length of a mini-itx card (17cm) but that rather depends on what chassi you put it in, (or if you dont.)

They are just normal full height PCI-e cards, can get them in half height too. That GTX670 happens to fit the length of a mini-itx card (17cm) but that rather depends on what chassi you put it in, (or if you dont.)
I found a nice case that can manage to fit large graphical cards and large CPU heatsinks, moreover it's got a mac-like design that I quite like:

Bitfenix_Prodigy_GTX690.JPG

It's quite larger than most HTPC cases, I have to admit. But at least, no overheating problems because the case is too cramped  :p

Could also be nice to make a large NAS since if you don't need a large graphical cards, you can fit 1  2.5" SSD, 5  3.25" HDD and an optical drive (or forget the optical drive and add one more HDD :D )

This case will perfectly do the job. Specially if you gonna use full size GPU.  :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back