The Quality Of Pandora

Still Fresh
Can the "makers" rate somehow the quality of the plastic used in the pandora case? i mean.. it's cool it has all those wonderful specs but.. it would be nice if it was durable too

Hurray for search function: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43239

It's my friend, and I'm sure it would be yours too if you just gave it a chance.

Note: That topic does not completely answer your question, but it covers the same topics, and it would not have been gravedigging to post in that topic.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
Hurray for search function: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43239

It's my friend, and I'm sure it would be yours too if you just gave it a chance.

Note: That topic does not completely answer your question, but it covers the same topics, and it would not have been gravedigging to post in that topic.

-God Ginrai

thanks "god ginrai"
i was looking for a ..short, precise answer. but ..i'll check that topic

I don't think that this is something you're really going to judge until you get the unit in your hands. Perhaps you could ask for some kind of test in the form of a video when they are released, i.e. light pressure applied to various areas of the case... I dunno.

I really don't understand these threads at all. Craig and team are unlikely to go with some hideous, cheap-ass plastic case when it's something they've been working on for so long, but even if they were for some reason, do you really expect them to come out and tell you so? "Yeah guys, the build quality's on par with an Elbonian outhouse. Get your pre-orders in now!".

deja vu. ;)
TaG said:
cosurgi said:
What will be the durability of this keboard?
Very poor. The developers have gone to great lengths to ensure they last between 366 and 367 days to maximise future revenues. As none of us have an actual Pandora with keyboard we can neither confirm or deny these rumours. And if it were poor, which I'm sure it's not, the developers wouldn't publicise it, would they?

the only things I really worry about are the Analog sticks and the keyboard / buttons. The buttons are on the mainboard itself rather than on a separate PCB, so I worry that the PCB will bend over time or buttons will wear out. The clamshell worries me a little, too.
Fortunately, I don't have to worry about the headphone jack, as craigix has continually stated that the Pandora team will not repeat the GP2X disaster ;).

waffles said:
hope its ABS plastic, ABS is amazing.
Indeed, Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene is an ideal material wherever superlative surface quality, colourfastness and lustre are required. Unfortunately it's not open source. ;)

TaG said:
waffles said:
Indeed, Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene is an ideal material wherever superlative surface quality, colourfastness and lustre are required. Unfortunately it's not open source. ;)
I hope that's just a bad joke.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
TaG said:
waffles said:
I hope that's just a bad joke.Its not just a bad joke, its a really bad joke. ;) but then again a thread discussing the type of plastic used in a handheld? Just when you think there is nothing left to discuss we get another exciting topic to keep us going. ;)

TaG said:
God Ginrai said:
TaG said:
waffles said:
I hope that's just a bad joke.Its not just a bad joke, its a really bad joke. ;) but then again a thread discussing the type of plastic used in a handheld? Just when you think there is nothing left to discuss we get another exciting topic to keep us going. ;)
Well at least we're not getting troll topics along the lines of: "The PSP is better!!!!!!11111oneoneone"

-God Ginrai

AireTamStorm said:
the only things I really worry about are the Analog sticks and the keyboard / buttons. The buttons are on the mainboard itself rather than on a separate PCB, so I worry that the PCB will bend over time or buttons will wear out.
I don't think the PCB can bend, carbon fiber is just PCB material with carbon instead of fiber, strong stuff.

Besides that I believe that it will be supported by the shell properly.

Having opened many game controllers I see no reason for a PCB to bend when pressed by a rubber membrane switch. The only way would be to completely collapse the membrane and then continue applying force until the membrane was under enough pressure to be squeezed aside and allow the PCB to be bent. I am pretty sure you would need to use several hundred pounds of force to get that to happen, and at that point you would probably be breaking the entire unit in half. Besides the fact that the key would be pushed under the surface of the unit by that point, making it difficult to continue pressing with a normal sized digit.

The GP2X had all its buttons on the PCB, and I don't recall anyone having a problem with it.

nubie said:
AireTamStorm said:
the only things I really worry about are the Analog sticks and the keyboard / buttons. The buttons are on the mainboard itself rather than on a separate PCB, so I worry that the PCB will bend over time or buttons will wear out.
I don't think the PCB can bend, carbon fiber is just PCB material with carbon instead of fiber, strong stuff.
Ummm...
bent.jpg

:lol:

That being said, nubie is right in that PCB won't just bend or warp over time. The only way it can feasibly "wear out" is if the contact becomes worn down or corroded, in which case a light application of sand paper is all that's really necessary to make amends. Though you shouldn't have to do that for quite some time if it's built solidly.

Well at least we're not getting troll topics along the lines of: "The PSP is better!!!!!!11111oneoneone"

-God Ginrai

When did we start referring to weak minded people or stupid things by with the descriptor "troll" you sound like someone out of a harry potter movie.

Tozarian said:

-God Ginrai
When did we start referring to weak minded people or stupid things by with the descriptor "troll" you sound like someone out of a harry potter movie.

Troll isn't a reference to the mythological creature, but the fishing style. It started as a verb, but it has sense gained usage as a noun in the form troll (one who trolls).
Of course, if you've never been trolling for bass (or other fish), I can see how that might be confusing.

In addition to that, to answer "when", the earliest known example of its usage on the internet, in a sense derived from the fishing verb, is from 1992, although it's been claimed to have been in online use since at least the 1980s. :p (The association with the mythical creature sense of the word evolved later because it was an appropriate additional meaning that people found amusing.)

So, a fair bit before Harry Potter, methinks!

The system is designed to literally fall apart is seven days so we have changed the warranty to six days to cover our asses. :p Just kidding.

Seriously though, a lot of consideration is going into the design to make it sturdy and "flex proof". It might add a several grams to the weight by not going with a hollow tube with a PCB in it, but I prefer it that way. I have taken apart many, many electronic devices over the years to learn what works and what doesn't, plus we have a great mechanical engineer on the task of solid case design.

Our assembler and manufacturers make products for companies like Nokia so this won't be some two bit operation in the back of someone's garage. We will be able to provide a great quality product because we are making commitments with these companies well beyond the first 3000 so that pricing will be reasonable and we don't have to build junk in order to make a buck! Having said that, spread the word! Get as many people interested in purchasing or pre-ordering one. :D It will take many, many sales to start making money on a big project like this.

Back