The Quality Of Pandora

Oooh! This is the first I've heard of a definite continuation of the line! My biggest secret hope is that the pandora becomes more popular than the gp2x. That sounds like the second step in making it come true! (the first step being creating a great device!)

@"Quality of the Pandora":
I'm sure the Case will be very durable and I hope the Buttons will be to. One reason why I wanted Metal D-Pad and Action Buttons in the past is my experience with the GP2X Buttons:

buttonsey1.jpg

Durable but after 2 Years you can see that I really often use my GP2X :lol:

fusion_power said:
I'm sure the Case will be very durable and I hope the Buttons will be to. One reason why I wanted Metal D-Pad and Action Buttons in the past is my experience with the GP2X Buttons:

buttonsey1.jpg

Man, you've really been nomming on that B button!

However, it's great to hear the type of manufacturer you are using. It's also interesting to hear that commitments beyond 3k units have been made to ensure low prices. It will be very interesting to see how all of this shapes up! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
MWeston said:
The system is designed to literally fall apart is seven days so we have changed the warranty to six days to cover our asses. :p Just kidding.

Seriously though, a lot of consideration is going into the design to make it sturdy and "flex proof". It might add a several grams to the weight by not going with a hollow tube with a PCB in it, but I prefer it that way. I have taken apart many, many electronic devices over the years to learn what works and what doesn't, plus we have a great mechanical engineer on the task of solid case design.

Our assembler and manufacturers make products for companies like Nokia so this won't be some two bit operation in the back of someone's garage. We will be able to provide a great quality product because we are making commitments with these companies well beyond the first 3000 so that pricing will be reasonable and we don't have to build junk in order to make a buck! Having said that, spread the word! Get as many people interested in purchasing or pre-ordering one. :D It will take many, many sales to start making money on a big project like this.
Speaking of take apart, is the case going to be a "screw on each corner, lift off" kinda deal, or "stupid friggin clip thingy on one side that doesn't let go and then you accidentally break it" thing?

WizardStan said:
Speaking of take apart, is the case going to be a "screw on each corner, lift off" kinda deal, or "stupid friggin clip thingy on one side that doesn't let go and then you accidentally break it" thing?
Nah! They're gonna epoxy it shut. You'll need a Dremel to open it. ;) :D

fusion_power said:

buttonsey1.jpg

Damn, Man! Are you teething?

Chilly Willy said:
WizardStan said:
Nah! They're gonna epoxy it shut. You'll need a Dremel to open it. ;) :D

lol

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
lol, that's what I was wondering. But yeah, I've never actually touched a GP2X, but from the looks of those pictures it looks like moderately cheap plastic

God Ginrai said:
No, I am GAMING! :lol:

But the biggest problem is, that my GP2X Stick turns 360°. Not the plastic cap but the entire metal stick interieur. The Stick still works but sometimes you have to turn it a little bit so the Directions fit exactly and working better.

I've unmasked you!

You are really Wolverine! :D

Seriously though, I am glad a real pad will be on the Pandora, and I am pretty sure that Craig will honor a request for a sturdier button, or a replacement pack/install if they happen to crap out. (although I doubt the plastic will be that crappy on the Pandy)

@Fusion: Question on that B button, are you hitting it with your fingernail?

One of my huge problems with the GP2X was the Asian standard of Right button for main action or select in menus. My thumb would cramp into a 90° bend and require a lot of force to snap it out and pop the joint.

I prefer a natural resting of the thumb as the action button (AKA the X button on a PSX pad, and the leftmost button on a small pad like the GP2X ), and I hope pandora devs will take this into consideration and make sure an "occasional" button isn't mapped as main fire in a shooter.

the rightmost button usage drove me nuts. the original Xbox got me back into gaming, so it's what i'm used to, and on the Xbox that is the "B" button which cancels or backs out of menus. i never did get used to it.

nubie said:
@Fusion: Question on that B button, are you hitting it with your fingernail?
Exactly. My nails are not long but over the time thy leave marks onto this Button. I think it's because I hit the B-Button with my thumb-tip sideways (rolling the thumb over the button instead of raising the thumb and pressing straight downward).
I'm sure Cave Story is the cause, I was close to demolish my GP2X during all the stressful Boss-Fights. But later I changed the button settings and since Y and A are the gaming Buttons, everything is fine. :)
But I still have no clue why the X-Button looks so damaged. ^^"""

nubie said:
One of my huge problems with the GP2X was the Asian standard of Right button for main action or select in menus. My thumb would cramp into a 90° bend and require a lot of force to snap it out and pop the joint.

I prefer a natural resting of the thumb as the action button (AKA the X button on a PSX pad, and the leftmost button on a small pad like the GP2X )

I cannot stand X as select, too many Japanese consoles. I'd rather hope that it is user configurable.

AireTamStorm said:
nubie said:

I prefer a natural resting of the thumb as the action button (AKA the X button on a PSX pad, and the leftmost button on a small pad like the GP2X )

I cannot stand X as select, too many Japanese consoles. I'd rather hope that it is user configurable.

All I can think is that my thumb is bigger or longer than the standard asian thumb, because it isn't easy for me to use that button. If I do use it is with the absolute right corner of my thumb, while rolling off of the X button.

It must simply be a logical thing. I find that the easiest button to press should be "forward" button, whereas the logic that these import games go by is that right is forward in menus and left is back in menus.

Either is OK, but it irks me that they seem to be confusing a GUI with a controller, (and since the GUI might not even have a forward/back button they assumed people would hold up the controller to the screen and start using it.)

If it was configurable then it would be good. Especially for the stock GUI, this is very important on feel/comfort with using the system.

Back