The results of rescuing a kitten.

I don't think there is a written warranty.  I suppose I could check my manual.  Edit: All I see in there is a list of things not to do.  I see not to use it while driving, and not to let water get into it, but nothing about urine, or swallowing a Pandora.  I know what I am trying tonight.

As I understood things, the warranty covers normal use for a period of 1 year.  So if something goes wrong during that time, as long as you haven't dropped it, disassembled it, gotten it wet, etc, it will be repaired.  I am probably wrong.

Edit, again: The manual thingy says contact ED if you need further help.  ED said send it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there is a written warranty.  I suppose I could check my manual.  Edit: All I see in there is a list of things not to do.  I see not to use it while driving, and not to let water get into it, but nothing about urine, or swallowing a Pandora.  I know what I am trying tonight.

As I understood things, the warranty covers normal use for a period of 1 year.  So if something goes wrong during that time, as long as you haven't dropped it, disassembled it, gotten it wet, etc, it will be repaired.  I am probably wrong.

Edit, again: The manual thingy says contact ED if you need further help.  ED said send it in.

This.

Instead of arguing the point.. Send it into ED before it's too late.

Well... I'm not sure what special kind of warranty you're looking for?

In Germany, it's the same for every device (and I guess it's similar in most other countries as well):

If a device has issues without the first two years that are not caused by the user but due to a quality issue in production during normal usage, you get a free replacement / repair.

Except for parts that wear out (i.e. on the Pandora: nubs, etc.)

For example: If the shoulder button stops working, you get a free repair.

If it stops working because the unit fell on the ground, you don't get a free repair.

It's as easy as that.

I cannot imagine that there's a country where you get free repairs if it breaks due to abnormality...

Companies CAN offer that for free, but I don't think a lot of them do.

Maybe you're confusing it to some insurances that dealers call "extended warranty", where you pay a bit more and get free repairs even if your device fell on the ground.

That's actually an insurance, the dealer just gives it a misleading name.

I've seen several straight answers about your warranty here in this thread...?

What exactly are you missing?
That you finally accept to take this into the warranty. Else why would he insist that much...
No, that is not what I want. Again, the subject of my OP is being ignored. I'm willing to pay for the repairs; I just want to know exactly what is and is not covered.

I thiink maybe he wants to read the warranty information, not how it relates to liquid damage.

What country are you from?
Finally, someone gets it! I want to read the warranty! And, I'm in the US.

And to everyone else posting snarky/sarcastic comments, different companies and countries have different warranties, and I've only had to deal with one: Geek Squad. As such, I do not have much experience, and do not know how they all work. That is why I have been asking to see the full document. In my OP, I clearly stated that it was my request to read the warranty being ignored that was initially pissing me off, and yet everyone continued to ignore that request, and are now acting like I'm demanding the warranty cover liquid damage. I AM NOT DEMANDING THAT. I just want to read the warranty. The full document. That's all. Seriously, why is that so hard? That's all I've been asking for is to see the freaking warranty! Why can't someone just link me to the warranty?!

Also, I know ED said he would repair it at no cost if the damage wasn't too extensive, and I told him in a PM that I'd rather not get it for free if it isn't covered, so stop accusing me of trying to get something I'm not entitled to, because I'm not doing that. I don't care if I have to pay, as long as it's within my price range, say like 200$ or something, since that's the lowest I've been able to find an full unit on eBay. I don't want a free repair, I just want to read my warranty information, and get my Pandora fixed for whatever it'll cost, if I can afford it. I'm not asking for a handout. You guys keep taking what I'm saying out of context, and I'm sick of it.
Good for you for not wanting a handout. Says good things about your character.

Your animal tipped your Pandora of your table and then decided to pee on it. Do you really need to comb through a warranty to see if that's possibly legally covered so you can then pursue a free repair/replacement? Because as you probably could have gathered from the earlier answers in this thread it's certainly not in the spirit of normal use and none of the other people on here think it's covered under common sense. And what would possibly be another reason for you to want to comb through a warranty of something that right now is an expensive piece of plastic in your house?

Just send it to ED, he offered you something that's above and beyond anything he both morally and certainly legally has to do and you can repay him by buying a Pyra and maybe some extra accessories once it's ready for shipping. It's really the best possible outcome of this situation for you.

Good luck!

Finally, someone gets it! I want to read the warranty! And, I'm in the US.
I don't know how things are in the U.S but in Germany (where EDs company resides) you have to differentiate warranty and guarantee (the last one is a literal translation). Warranty in Germany is regulated by law of obligations. It basically says that till one year after purchasing a product the one you buy your product from is obliged to either rerpair or exchange the product you bought if its faulty and the fault was not caused by misuse. Additionally there is a small constraint, that after six months the burden of proof moves over from the seller to customer."Guarantee", or extended warranty on the other hand is something a manufacturer/seller can offer to "extend" this period as (s)he sees fit - usually for marketing reasons > "we believe in the product we produce/sell".

Ed is getting at the first one, and as this is already covered by the text in the applying book of law, there is no obligation for a seller to deliver that text during purchase and or delivery, as the principal is simple.

The second one however needs some form of warranty paper/card/leaftlet/whatever as the rules for an extendend period differ from one manufacturer/seller to the next. As you got none, I conclude that only the normal warranty applies to your case.

What this essentially boils down to is:

1) The information you are requesting does not actually exist in an official concrete format.

2) Any and all information you could possibly need regarding the Pandora is readily and dynamically available via interaction with this community. ... patience is required because often the information required is reached in a round about way, but just as often you may get an immediate and concise response to your query.

3) This community is very helpful... but also very cheeky. ;)

=~. O =

It would surprise me if Germany only have a one year guarantee. It wouldn't have any effect anyway as the minimum guarantee in the EU is two years and EU law takes precedence over national law in these cases. See for instance http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm.
Oh, thanks mixed that up with the common rule of one year on used goods (which has to be stated in the standard form contract). But as after six months the burden of proof shifts, it rarely matters to the end user

But as he got it from link in the usa as a reseller, this should be handled with american law.

From a quick wiki. it seems the Magnuson-Moss act is most likely to apply, assuming no state laws also apply here (I don't know off hand what state Link is in).  Oddly though, the magnuson-moss act doesn't contain an implied warranty/guarantee in the same EU laws do, just has limitations on what you can put in your own written warranty.  In the end though, it seems to boil down to much the same as the EU/UK laws.

FWIW, I was under the impression that in UK law at least, the guaranteed period depends on the product, so a banana isn't guaranteed to stay fresh for two years.  Commonly, larger electronics manufacturers used to consider 12 months the period for most electronics, but the EU laws may have superceded that since, I dunno.

So nobody's been telling me where it is because it doesn't exist? Well, at least that's been explained. OK then, so does anyone know where I should send it? ED hasn't replied to my PM yet, which is understandable; I'm sure he gets tons of PMs each day.

Also, I'm sorry for being rude here. I've been really stressed out over this, among other things, and it was wrong of me to vent my frustrations on the community.

Please download and fill out the following RMA sheet: http://www.openpandora.org/downloads/RMASheet.pdf...

Strip your Pandora "naked": no stylus,no  SD-Card, no battery (except if your are thinking its damaged too), package up your Pandora, include the filled out RMA sheet into your package and send it to:

OpenPandora GmbH
Schäffbräustr. 11
85049 Ingolstadt
Germany

Please put down 300USD as the value of the device for customs declaration.

Just to clear things up for myself, is there any sort of legally required warranty for refurbished items sold by the manufacturer, say a Classic Pandora, sold from Germany to the US?  I ask because it is refurbed, but also because it seems the warranty discussed in this thread is for the EU, so I would think there would be no required legal obligation for a product sold to a customer elsewhere.

Thanks for clearing up that the the warranty is for a period of 2 years, not 1.  Not sure where I came up with that number.

So nobody's been telling me where it is because it doesn't exist?
It does, and I think people have pointed you toward it (I don't know German, there could be translation errors, and I didn't actually read the whole thing), but there isn't one that explicitly says "Pandora Warranty".

Just to clear things up for myself, is there any sort of legally required warranty for refurbished items sold by the manufacturer, say a Classic Pandora, sold from Germany to the US?  I ask because it is refurbed, but also because it seems the warranty discussed in this thread is for the EU, so I would think there would be no required legal obligation for a product sold to a customer elsewhere.

Thanks for clearing up that the the warranty is for a period of 2 years, not 1.  Not sure where I came up with that number.
Everything you get in a shop has by default guarantee, but it can be 1 year instead of 2 in case of used products. If you buy in the EU but not from a shop (like from private seller on ebay) you do not have any EU guarantee.

And the 2 years are a minimum. In the Netherlands the first 2 years the shop has to prove that the product was not faulty and is not covered by guarantee, after two years the buyer must provide the prove the product is faulty (the limit of time depends on the expected life time of a product, so a expensive washing machine can claim guarantee even at 6 years for example).

I am not sure how the guarantee works for foreign buyers, but I think it wouldn't matter. The seller always has to provide a decent product as he's based in the EU, I would think he would only circumvent the EU guarantee by actually having a different company selling his product in a non-EU country.

This sounds nice. I'm pretty sure we don't have such long warranties here (CH), only maybe in rare cases where the manufacturer does it to advertize their product.

When you buy a refrigerator/oven/washing machine/etc you have two years, and then you are fucked if it breaks.

Maybe it's time to join the EU, but have fun getting that through to those SVP nationalist fuckheads... :) (really, if some higher power magically removed the political rights of every SVP follower, Switzerland would be a much better place... hey, God, wouldn't that be a nice occasion to make me believe in you?)

while I can't disagree on the political aspect, you are wrong on the warranty, we also have 2years of mandatory warranty in swiss T4b...

Non EU member reporting in. Norway has 2 years standard warranty on everything, even if you buy it online from abroad. 5 years on things expected to last, like bikes, expensive electronic equipment and such. If you buy something online you can return it after 14 days. If the seller fails to inform you of this, it is extended by default.

In addition to this the producer or seller can offer a guarantee, like a lifetime guarantee or something else that exceeds the standard.

For the US i found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

http://pandorawiki.org/User_manual#Warranty_Information Also if you increase the voltage (OPP level) too much when you overclock that breaks warranty. Which is under fair use, something that applies in all jurisdictions. If you buy something and put it through not normal use, or something it can be expected to handle without breaking, the warranty is void.

while I can't disagree on the political aspect, you are wrong on the warranty, we also have 2years of mandatory warranty in swiss T4b...
I was talking about this:

And the 2 years are a minimum. In the Netherlands the first 2 years the shop has to prove that the product was not faulty and is not covered by guarantee, after two years the buyer must provide the prove the product is faulty (the limit of time depends on the expected life time of a product, so a expensive washing machine can claim guarantee even at 6 years for example).
So even longer than 2 years for expensive stuff, which makes a lot of sense.

I bought an expensive bike about a year ago, it had different warranties for different parts, but one expensive part (Alfine gear hub) had only one year (and it was replaced on warranty two times in the first three months. Since then it was okay, but I'm still a little nervous about it breaking now that the warranty is over). So I guess for some stuff the minimum isn't two years.

I guess in two or three years I'll see whether I can recommend that gear hub, but by then there will be a newer model anyway... It's supposed to last for at least 20Mm to 30Mm. If it breaks in 3 years I'll probably have 20Mm on it, that would be okay, but any sooner...

Back