The Soulja Boy Appreciation Thread.

aaron11193

Hey Telstra, I Hate You.
Website
www.geocities.com
I can't help but love Soulja Boy's music, it is beautifully crafted with very meaningful lyrics and well written instrumentals....

All sarcasm aside, is it just me or is hip-hop and R&B getting more and more shit every day?

And more importantly, how the hell do 'artists' (if you can call him that) like Soulja Boy get a recording contract?

Most R&B isn't even R&B anymore, more like a few synthesized drum beats and somebody talking about alcohol, clubs, booty and drugs...

I won't even start on hip-hop...

What happened to all the old school stuff?

Why is the rum gone?
( :p Couldn't help myself )

Yes yes yes, you echo everything I complain about on a daily basis. Rap is absolutely awful now, and the south is to blame. I used to live in NY and listen to the station there. I would hear some biggie, pac, nas, snoop, even some old school shit like Rakim on occasion. Sure, it was mixed in with the usual mediocre ganster rap, but it was pretty decent over all. Now that I live in Atlanta (the heart of crunk, unfortunately), ALL they play is the CRAP that comes out of the south. Soulja Boy is a staple on the radio. T-Pain and his stupid vocorder are playing almost every time I pass through the stations. I've stopped listening to the hip hop channels here because of this.

It's sad, but there's little we can do. I reckon (hope, actually :unsure: ) that Soulja types are just fads for the teens who don't know good music from a hole in the wall. Until the world realizes that "YAHHH TRICK YAHHH" isn't real music, the best we can do is support the good stuff. I just picked up new Nas. I bought the new Wu Tang when it came out. It's unlike me to buy my music (*achem*), but this is the only way to show my disdain for the current state of hip hop.

Ps: Last I checked, Soulja isn't signed. He made some crapola beats on his computer and posted them to myspace. Somehow, against all odds, he's selling more albums than most musicians :(

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Yes yes yes, you echo everything I complain about on a daily basis. Rap is absolutely awful now, and the south is to blame. I used to live in NY and listen to the station there. I would hear some biggie, pac, nas, snoop, even some old school shit like Rakim on occasion. Sure, it was mixed in with the usual mediocre ganster rap, but it was pretty decent over all. Now that I live in Atlanta (the heart of crunk, unfortunately), ALL they play is the CRAP that comes out of the south. Soulja Boy is a staple on the radio. T-Pain and his stupid vocorder are playing almost every time I pass through the stations. I've stopped listening to the hip hop channels here because of this.

It's sad, but there's little we can do. I reckon (hope, actually :unsure: ) that Soulja types are just fads for the teens who don't know good music from a hole in the wall. Until the world realizes that "YAHHH TRICK YAHHH" isn't real music, the best we can do is support the good stuff. I just picked up new Nas. I bought the new Wu Tang when it came out. It's unlike me to buy my music (*achem*), but this is the only way to show my disdain for the current state of hip hop.

Ps: Last I checked, Soulja isn't signed. He made some crapola beats on his computer and posted them to myspace. Somehow, against all odds, he's selling more albums than most musicians :(
BTW if you look up the lyrics for most of Soulja Boy's songs he extensively uses his own name as a lyric,, and is very fond of the word 'bitch'.

It's very saddening to see the majority of teenagers (I'm one of the more normal ones ;) ) have turned to 'popular' hip hop 'beats' (yep,, thats pretty much all they are,, with a bit of shit-talking and self-loving of course :p )

Glad to see im not the only one :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soulja Boy vs. Ice T is the most hilarious fight ever. That little retard confused him with Ice Cube and wasted five minutes throwing out insults that didn't apply. It's too bad i would feel stupid being the only white guy at a concert because the Nas/Talib Kweli/Jay Electronica tour sounds awesome. Just downloaded Nas' untitled album and there's some seriously good tracks on there, I should probably go buy it so Def Jam doesn't use bad sales as an argument for further censorship.

People like Soulja Boy get contracts because their music is very cheap to make so it maximizes their company's profits. With the right amount of advertising these big companies can make anyone a rap hit easy. I've learned to stop caring about what hip hop is on the radio and focus on the artists who aren't. ;)

If you guys are after good new hip hop, Joell Ortiz is worth checking out. You've probably already heard a song or two, he's on the GTA4 soundtrack. But yeah, most mainstream rap is shit and has been for a while. This is true of most music. There's a lot of great stuff out there if you're willing to stray from the beaten path, but most people are too lazy and just accept whatever they're fed.

Soldier boy, however, was epic.
ANYWAY
generally, the closest i get to hip hop is gorillaz/gnarles barkly, because the vast majority of it sucks balls. (which you could say about most genres, sadly)
ortiz seems pretty awesome, i just grabbed his stuff from rhapsody, which i love.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back