The Sun - Animal Cruity Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres ways of testing WITHOUT doing it on animals, Thats why almost 50% of high street stores now are animal testing free (boots, body shop, lush, tesco, asda)

geekylad posted on Oct 15 2005 at 09:36 AM said:
Theres ways of testing WITHOUT doing it on animals, Thats why almost 50% of high street stores now are animal testing free (boots, body shop, lush, tesco, asda)
No there isn't. There is no good way of testing new drugs that could potentially cure diseases. Don't cite me 'but magic computer modelsl!', because theory does not always translate to reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Klown posted on Oct 15 2005 at 11:49 AM said:
geekylad posted on Oct 15 2005 at 09:36 AM said:
No there isn't. There is no good way of testing new drugs that could potentially cure diseases. Don't cite me 'but magic computer modelsl!', because theory does not always translate to reality.

But let's be fair, neither does animal testing.

To save a lot more animals from a nasty death maybe you should campaign against halal meat - something disturbingly popular in the UK. PC bragade decided Muslim religious rights were more important than animal suffering.

To kill the animals they cut their throats and let them bleed to death, if you ever see video of this its very disturbing, infact they were not allowed to show it on TV in a program about it. This is the only way muslims will accept their meat in the UK. Most takeaways also only sell this meat. Its banned in most euro countries.

This method I think is just wrong, it should be quick and sudden.

This all said I still eat meat. Although I would avoid halal if i had a choice.

-Craig

Klown posted on Oct 15 2005 at 11:57 AM said:
Yeah because animal testing doesn't often and still doesn't continune to produce life saving drugs and disease cures!

Idiot.

I was saying that it doesn't always translate to reality. I'm not aganist it in any way, shape or form, but you critisise the 'computer model' (I've never even heard of this) and I'm pointing out the flaws of animal testing. So, why am I an idiot?

And Craigix, the Koran actually says that animals should be treated as you would want to be, with respect and love until they are killed. Then, no other animals should be present.

It's not a ritualistic killing as such, just that they believe the kindest way to kill an animal is to slit it's throat. In these times there are more humane ways and that's something that isn't right, but Halal animals are often treated far better than the one's most people in the west eat every day.

iignotus posted on Oct 15 2005 at 03:46 AM said:
Eating meat is totally and utterly unnecessary
Meat naturally contains complete proteins. Vegetables do not, save legumes and tofu. It is much more logical and healthful to obtain them from meat. Also, opposed to veganism, milk (real milk) is necessary for bone and nervous system development in children.

A good vegetarian diet can EASILY provide all of the protein the body needs. A good vegetarian diet is healthy.
Vegetarians have longer life expectancy than carnivores.
Yes, children need milk, but this should be provided by their mother's breast milk if possible. It is totally unnatural for adult humans to drink any type of animal milk.

lubidog- A fox is clearly a predator- it has the ability to catch it's prey, tear the flesh apart, and digest the raw meat without being sick. We don't.

If humans really are different from other species, we should use this 'higher intelligence' to realise we dont need to eat meat at all, and that doing so is morally unnacceptable. Our intelligence, ability to have morals and ease of living without meat should lead to a meat-free future.

Technically if we started eating each other it would be natural, since we are but creatures of nature.

declaration posted on Oct 15 2005 at 01:48 PM said:
A good vegetarian diet can EASILY provide all of the protein the body needs. A good vegetarian diet is healthy.
Yes, children need milk, but this should be provided by their mother's breast milk if possible. It is totally unnatural for adult humans to drink any type of animal milk.

lubidog- A fox is clearly a predator- it has the ability to catch it's prey, tear the flesh apart, and digest the raw meat without being sick. We don't.

If humans really are different from other species, we should use this 'higher intelligence' to realise we dont need to eat meat at all, and that doing so is morally unnacceptable. Our intelligence, ability to have morals and ease of living without meat should lead to a meat-free future.
Mind you, human is biologically omnivore.

I don't have problem with vegans, vegetarians or any other special diet people. What I have a problem with, is them telling me how and what I should, or how and what I must eat.

And I would not say humans eating meat and dairy products is unnatural. We have been doing it since the dawn of time. What makes it unnatural? :huh:

Goity posted on Oct 15 2005 at 02:07 PM said:
Technically if we started eating each other it would be natural, since we are but creatures of nature.

Not that many animals are cannibals...

Like most people here I enjoy eating meat. I think if I actually had to kill to eat meat rather than buy it from the local supermarket I’d turn veggie in an instant. There’s no way I could pop into the backyard and slaughter a creature for food. Not unless it was that or starvation (which doesn’t happen in this part of the world funnily enough).

Back on topic I think they should make the punishment for animal cruelty much harsher. If these people can kill an innocent puppy for kicks what’s next when the novelty wares off?

declaration posted on Oct 15 2005 at 11:48 AM said:
EASILY? No. Possible? Yes. I have had this explained to me from numerous people and the truth is, in order to get all of the nutrition your body needs WITHOUT meat, is very difficult. You can easily live without eating meat, but you will not be nearly as healthy as you would eating meat unless you either eat a lot of a select few things that can give you the nutrients in meat, or if you take supplement pills (which was probably tested on an animal :eek: , so you wouldn't want to do that :p ).

Vegetarians don't necessaraily live longer because they're vegetarians. Its most likely because they are health conscious. If you compare omnivores (not carnivores like you said above, humans are omnivores) that are very health conscious to vegetarians, i'm sure the life expectancy would be very close.

I think you need to look up the meaning of unatural.

And we're not clearly predators? Instead of using our teeth, we use our hands to create weapons to kill other animals (and sometimes other humans). Just because our tactics are different doesn't mean we're not predators.

Actually, we use this 'higher intelligence' to realise that meat is one of the few things that contains certain nutrients that we NEED to be healthy. Oh, and we also use it, along with animal testing, to create cures for diseases so that people don't have to suffer as much.

deadlychicken- you are so wrong.

following a healthy vegetarian diet is as easy as following a healthy meat based one. Whether thats difficult or not is debatable.

If you think that we are natural predators because we are intelligent enough to make weapons and kill animals this way, this makes anything done through science natural. Therefore everything we do is natural. Cannibalism is natural because we can, using tools, kill and prepare human flesh for consumption. And even if you believe this, does that make it right? As I said, many things can be argued as "natural", but are still considered morally wrong in society. Eating meat will be like this in the future.

And once again, we don't NEED meat to be healthy at all. That's a blatant lie, whichever way you look at it.

craigix posted on Oct 15 2005 at 11:18 AM said:
To kill the animals they cut their throats and let them bleed to death, if you ever see video of this its very disturbing, infact they were not allowed to show it on TV in a program about it. This is the only way muslims will accept their meat in the UK. Most takeaways also only sell this meat. Its banned in most euro countries.
Thats how Jews make their meat kosher too. if you cut the main artery in the neck it is a quick and painless death.

Oh wait sorry, FUCKIN MUSLIM PAKI FOREGINEDRS!

declaration posted on Oct 15 2005 at 02:14 PM said:
And once again, we don't NEED meat to be healthy at all. That's a blatant lie, whichever way you look at it.
We don't NEED to be vegitarian to be healthy either. It's a fucking choice, not a required lifestyle for everybody which you need to ram down their throats.

We've evolved jackass. Humans are omnivores. WE DESCEND FROM ANCESTRY THAT EAT MEAT. It is natural and don't debate that.You can dislike it and the way we do it if you like, but Humans are meateaters!

Klown posted on Oct 15 2005 at 03:40 PM said:
declaration posted on Oct 15 2005 at 02:14 PM said:
We don't NEED to be vegitarian to be healthy either. It's a fucking choice, not a required lifestyle for everybody which you need to ram down their throats.

If I have an opinion, what is wrong with me expressing it and engaging in debate? How do things change otherwise?

Klown posted on Oct 15 2005 at 03:40 PM said:
We've evolved jackass. Humans are omnivores. WE DESCEND FROM ANCESTRY THAT EAT MEAT. It is natural and don't debate that.You can dislike it and the way we do it if you like, but Humans are meateaters!
Yeah, we've evolved from ancestry which did all sorts of other things too. Things we've stopped doing because our evolution has made us more intelligent and therefore aware that those things are wrong.

Any human act is natural if you count acts determined by tools built because of intelligence.

lubidog posted on Oct 15 2005 at 07:20 AM said:
You are just siding with these evil people.
The fact that people donate more money to animal cruelty than child cruelty isn't just a case of 'this issue is more important'; it is an extremely fucked-up problem that needs addressing. I'm not siding with evil at all, just making my own choices about what I support - just like you do. Saying something like that - that I'm evil for not donating against animal cruelty - speaks volumes about your rationality.

declaration posted on Oct 15 2005 at 05:05 PM said:
If I have an opinion, what is wrong with me expressing it and engaging in debate? How do things change otherwise?
Oh I don't know, how about the fact that vegetarianism/meat-eating is nothing to do with this topic, and mentioning stuff like this when it's not needed could be constituted as trolling?

Klown posted on Oct 15 2005 at 03:35 PM said:
Thats how Jews make their meat kosher too. if you cut the main artery in the neck it is a quick and painless death.

Try telling Nick Berg that... ;)

How would you rather be killed?

I should point out that i've seen it done in real life. I doubt you have. Its obviously very distressing and painful for the animal. Rather like it is when done to a person.

Still, this ham i'm eating is good stuff.

-Craig

A good vegetarian diet can EASILY provide all of the protein the body needs.
No, it can't. The only way to easily (that is the key word, right?) get complete proteins from a no-meat diet is through beans and tofu. You have to mix certain types of other vegetables to make the same proteins that your body needs in place of those two or any kind of meat.
A good vegetarian diet is healthy.
Any good diet is healthy, and the way most vegetatrians and vegans eat is not healthy.
I'd love to see some proof about that, since I do believe you just pulled it out of your ass.
Yes, children need milk, but this should be provided by their mother's breast milk if possible.
Note how I said children, not infants. Good luck persuading mothers (who in many cases can no longer produce breast milk) to breast feed their 8-year-olds.
It is totally unnatural for adult humans to drink any type of animal milk.
You do know that the body changes over time, right? It is now natural for humans to drink cow's (and likely goat's and sheep's milk), as we have adapted to the nutrients it provides.

Surely, your eyes have 'opened' with this incredible vegetarian lifestyle, and you are know a science and history major. <_<

craigix posted on Oct 15 2005 at 12:12 PM said:

I should point out that i've seen it done in real life. I doubt you have. Its obviously very distressing and painful for the animal. Rather like it is when done to a person.

-Craig
I've seen it done in real life as well and it is rather distressing. However, I don't know of many painless ways of dying, except gassing and injecting. I would say that that method really is one of the least painful ways (as opposed to, say, shooting them in the face).

I really want a burger now.... :ph34r:

iignotus posted on Oct 15 2005 at 06:23 PM said:
craigix posted on Oct 15 2005 at 12:12 PM said:

-Craig
I've seen it done in real life as well and it is rather distressing. However, I don't know of many painless ways of dying, except gassing and injecting. I would say that that method really is one of the least painful ways (as opposed to, say, shooting them in the face).

I really want a burger now.... :ph34r:
Electricution. and your body has become accustomed ot animal milk but it has not evolved to depend on it. otherwise youd think that adult females would produce it whether pregnant or breast feeding or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back