The Ultimate Comprehensive Review Of The Gp2x Handheld (videos + Pictu

For someone that claims to have been into this stuff for 5 to7 years he sure does sound like a complete and utter n00b.

Another thing to know is much like the PSP, the GP2x is a brick without a memory card.
Erm, no.

EDIT: I agree with the others, this review should not be on the front page. It's spreading masses of false information from what may, to the passing consumer, look to be a credible source.

I don't know. Besides some really stupid inconsistencies like the Neo Geo emulator not being up to par and the MAME emulator being disappointing because (I'm assuming) he tried nothing but newer, more intensive games, I think this review's alright. He pointed out his disappointments and what impressed him. In the end, it did get a 7.6, which is definitely respectable. It's not a perfect machine.

If you want to emulate better, purchase a Sony PSP or Nintendo DS.

Not to seem like a fanboy, but the DS is nowhere near the GP2X in terms of emulation and the PSP's Neo Geo emulators don't even compare to GnGeo. Sure, it emulates the Neo Geo CD pretty well, but the AES/MVS-emulator available is shit and hardly has any compatibility whatsoever.

when i saw this on the front page i thought this would be a really good review like the one from trusted reviews.
when i saw it would have a focus on emulation i thought it would be really positive.

damn was i wrong. didn't even try many of the emulators for the system. used fishynes which isn't the best nes emu available. neo geo is amazing on the gp2x i dont know how he could say its bad. mame works great for all the old classics. yeah a lot of newer games don't run great but games like street fighter work well on the console emulators.

that was a comprehensively horrible review. it went into a lot of detail on mundane stupid stuff but made it look credible then came out with a bunch of crap about how it runs.

geise69 posted on Aug 30 2006 at 08:08 PM said:
At least the one good thing about this review is it's keeping people like these http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index.php...mp;#entry204484 out of the gp32x forums. The sad thing is that if someone is really interested in the gp2x and has half a brain, this really bad article might turn them away from getting a gp2x.
Nice typo (I assume) right at the beginning..
This would not have been possible with the help of Play-Asia.
lol

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on Aug 30 2006 at 11:29 AM said:
Neogeo is not good enough? WTF? I'll say that again, WHAT THE FUCK? How could the neogeo emu be any better?

I don't know what this guy was talking about... He links to the neogeo using v0.6.12 and even though it doesn't have the optimizations of v0.7, it ran Metal Slug 2, King of Fighters '96, and several other games at full frame rate. I would have to say my favorite emulators are GnGeo, mamegp2x, drmd (of course!), and frodo2x.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzu5UeSldqw

If he's going to slam an emulator on the gp2x, at least post WIP videos like

GBA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eM41ln5X4Y

or the PSX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jITaknk35wg

It kills me that he is dissing the Neo Geo emulation on the GP2X when the PSP can't even play all the games.

Kripes. I can play Samurai Showdown 5 Special darn near perfect on the GP2X! NO OTHER HANDHELD CAN DO THIS!

This is typical though, the GP2X takes about a week of tweaking and learning all about the emulators and their options to get the full performance out of the system. When i first got mine, I loaded up Gngeo 0.6 with SNK Vs Capcom at 200mhz and was like WTF? it is soo slow and choppy.

Now it's freaking perfect at 266mhz running 0.7 with the frontend.

Even today, a co-worker comes up to me as I'm playing Metal Slug 5 and goes "That's awesome man.. WTF? That's not a PSP!!!!" He then sat down and played 1942 and Altered Beast. He was totally blown away.

Humph.

I think this was a very bad article. Very poorly put together by someone who has not done very much playing with emulators. It seems from reading the whole thing that it makes me wonder if this guy has had any experience loading up home brew or emulators on any hand held device. I wonder if the guy was purposely bias. He certainly hasn't tried out the same emulators that I have running on my GP2X. I think he really needed to ask someone who owns the GP2X to hold his hand through the whole process of setting one up and using it. <_<

I almost want to sign up to their site to make a comment, but it would almost be like running in front of a moving truck. The people on their forum actually believe him and take him seriously.

Man my first impressions of the GP2X were awesome! I saw the GP2X and was very interested in it. I knew about the GP32 when it was first released, but I was finishing college at the time and didn't have the money. I waited a little while to see what the reactions were on the GP2X. I saw really good reviews and heard of things that were a little messed up, but fixable. In February I bought mine. I was so amazed to finally be playing TMNT and the arcade version of Strider and Galaga in the palm of my hand. What made the "first" time experience such a blast whas doing "research" before I messed with my GP2X. It made the experience that much more enjoyable knowing what to expect. Then GnGeo got released and even those early versions amazed me. I never expect emulation to be perfect like it seems this reviewer did. To me only having 5 years of emulation "play time" means jack. Emulators on pc's were pretty much fullspeed for most of the stuff in mame, neogeo and snes. Maybe if he messed with emulators and homebrew in the mid to late 90's or earlier he'd be more understanding. Oh well it's still a shitty review. Also I noticed DCEmu put this article in their news section for the gp2x. I also read it's straying away a couple people. One guy doesn't want to buy it now cause he read the buttons were cheap in the review.

Different people like different things, so every product gets a bad review sometimes. We know from what some people post here that others do have similar issues to those that the reviewer had. It could be because he's a clueless idiot, but then the clueless idiots that read his site might not like the gp2x either. I wish the gp2x was a machine more suited to clueless idiots, but it isn't.

I dunno, even my little sister managed to accomplish more with it than the reviewer did, and she doesn't have '5 years of experience'.

I'm all for showing both sides of the coin when it comes to subjective issues, but some of the things he said were just blatantly false.

trooper posted on Aug 30 2006 at 12:02 PM said:
MOVED, To its rightful place.

Trooper

But Trooper, this isn't the Trash can..... or the recycle bin.... or the LOL files. (mostly cause it's too stupid to be funny)

Personally I wanna know if anyone's mailed this jarhead and told him he doesn't know his elbows from that other place.

If he'd done ANY searching through this forum for ANY of the issues he was looking for answers for, he'd have read that most of the stuff he'd HAD problems with have not only been answered, but either worked around or improved. I'd also like to know which versions of all the emulators he's been using and which versions of the ROMs. I'd also like to check his blood alcohol content for the day he wrote the review.

Winterkid posted on Sep 1 2006 at 07:04 AM said:
trooper posted on Aug 30 2006 at 12:02 PM said:
MOVED, To its rightful place.

Trooper

But Trooper, this isn't the Trash can..... or the recycle bin.... or the LOL files. (mostly cause it's too stupid to be funny)

Personally I wanna know if anyone's mailed this jarhead and told him he doesn't know his elbows from that other place.

If he'd done ANY searching through this forum for ANY of the issues he was looking for answers for, he'd have read that most of the stuff he'd HAD problems with have not only been answered, but either worked around or improved. I'd also like to know which versions of all the emulators he's been using and which versions of the ROMs. I'd also like to check his blood alcohol content for the day he wrote the review.

I totally agree with you points regarding the review author, But by rightful place, I meant moving it anywhere to get it out of the news forum and thus off of the front page, But leaving it where people can still find it, So they can still express their views on what a knob this guy really is.

Next stop Lol files.

Trooper

Back