The usual I cancel and you suck compilation

Bosbeetle said:
I could tell my order number but im keeping my pandora!

I agree the team should be singing "don't stop me now" by now

Wait, who's playing the piano at 2:35?

Last edited by a moderator:
A self-aware piano...Will mankind ever be safe again?

I'm pondering the future in which buying everything is like this. Local shops for local people: Nothing for you here.

Maybe mutual trolling is good for the soul.

Irrelevant at what Joost actually said.. I mean even if he spoke like a baby and told Craig he was a big poo poo or that smelled like a toilet brush or even if he cursed like a trooper and offended many people it was still highly unprofessional and irresponsible for Craig to respond the way he did.
People don't seem to be picking up on this point rather they just stick up for him just because they might feel that what he said was what they would have.

I personally think to some extent that some people brown nose Craig because he is the guy that is making the Pandora's (well not the only guy but you know what I mean).

And one last thing.. let us not forget one very important point?
arguing_internet_retarded.jpg

milkshake said:
Irrelevant at what Joost actually said.. I mean even if he spoke like a baby and told Craig he was a big poo poo or that smelled like a toilet brush or even if he cursed like a trooper and offended many people it was still highly unprofessional and irresponsible for Craig to respond the way he did.
People don't seem to be picking up on this point rather they just stick up for him just because they might feel that what he said was what they would have.

That is a good point, however, craigx is not a company, he is not a PR department, and they don't even HAVE a PR department.
Personally I find the idea that every business should be run like a big corperation, insulting.

I like the regular dudes feeling of OpenPandora, this is my favorite part. If they started going all PR on us with every post I would lose interest quickly. I much prefer a person speak bluntly, even if insulting, then hide behind a mask of polite PRing.

Though, to argue with myself, a bit of tact on Craig's part wouldn't have hurt.

As far as brown nosing or whatever, frankly I give a fuck who is who and who does what, I base my opinions on my experience, knowledge, and common sense. Just because I happen to be on the side of the dude making Pandoras on this one issue doesn't mean a damn thing. Furthermore, I find it insulting and presumptuous to suggest otherwise. Until there is sufficient evidence either way, it's always best to give people the benefit of the doubt. Most people, in my experience, derive more enjoyment playing the 'rebel' or 'devils advocate' then the brown noser. There ARE brown nosers, but they are the minority rather then the majority, in my experience.

EDIT: Forgot to address the pic!
First, it's waaaay old. Stopped being funny years ago.
Second, it misses one important fact. Sometimes arguing a point can be quite enjoyable! That doesn't make one retarded, just, human.
Third, YOU missed one important fact (unless you meant that tongue in cheek), you posted a pic saying that arguing on the internet makes people retarded, in the same post where you argue. On the internet.

- trix

Just some points I would like to bring up.

Songs: I'll be happy as long as OPT doesn't start singing "Someday Never Comes."
...OPT can't sing "Party in the U.S.A" either.

Craig: I wouldn't say people are brown-nosing him. I would say the opposite is true: People like to hassle him. I know I do.

Arguing on the Internet: I think that analogy is due to members generally remaining anonymous. But this community is different. There's actually a chance of meeting fellow arguers. "Hello, I'm Exophase. IN YOUR FACE!"

Gerix said:
"Hello, I'm Exophase. IN YOUR FACE!"

AHAHAHAHAHA! I just spit nugget all over the table!

I could totally see him doing that. "Hello, I'm Exophase." all pleasant and low volume, then "IN YOUR FACE!" HAHAHAHA

They all get put in this section anyway, so I'll just tack this on here...I just sent an email canceling my Pandora order. With the manufacturing problems, hardware defects, and my current financial situation, I couldn't justify the purchase any more. My heart still pangs for portable N64 and PSX, but I don't even have an mp3 player right now. I'm buying a cheap substitute device and saving the rest. (That, or buying a motorcycle. Fiscal responsibility is just too depressing sometimes.) If there is ever a Pandora 2 in the future/Pandora with upgraded internals I'll look again, I'd buy one over an Android tablet any day.

It's been an absolutely mental 2 years, all the best to the team and community.

Wow you waited all this time and canceled right before yours ships?

I feel for you!

You should keep in mind the "hardware defects" seem to only effect a very small percentage of the ones that have shipped. Not only that, but the defects dont seem crippling. Also, those that had them sent them in and got working ones pretty quick. Also also, the defects themselves are being taken care of before shipping so new ones shipping have even less issues if any.

As far as your financial situation, that is totally understandable. I too had to cancel earlier this year after being in the queue for awhile, due to financial troubles, and it was a very tough E-Mail to send. Luckily, they were nice enough to save my place (I did specify I would repurchase my order the instant I had enough again) for quite awhile.

Best of luck to you and your situation, I hope you get something cool to play with! If you do get a motorcycle, don't get one of those extra super loud ones that are ultra loud just to be loud, or you might end up shot like my neighbor is going to be one of these mornings if that idiot doesn't stop gunning the engine at 7AM.

Also, stick around! Just because you don't get the device, doesn't mean you can't still hang out with us cool people in this community!

"Right before" it ships is a little subjective. With two weeks of shipping and the actually getting made, I was guessing end of August/early September to get it. And I don't know about it being a 'small number' of defects. Numerous heavy users on the forum are on their second and even third units due to hardware failure, I can't even afford the post to send it back to the UK right now. I'll definitely still be following the community, evolution of the software and cross development for other ARM platforms will be extremely interesting to watch. (Plus there are rather nice people here)

For the past week I've searched long and hard for replacement devices. You have locked down PMPs like Cowon that are just good at media, the more open Archos tablets but they are still plagued by firmware problems and lack of support, e-book readers that are just good at books, images, and music, maybe a hacked PSP but it's getting really dated. Dingoo and Wiz are much too small for me, and then the netbooks which are too large.

Pandora is truly the Goldilocks device, but it feels like the time until mine arrives is on an exponential decline and I'll never actually get it.

^ Everyone had a say and I see no use in this topic any more. It starts with a mild provocative post, then comes flaming, arguing, arguing about arguing, funny nonsense, etc.
I know these threads and they bore the hell out of me. I'll have a big party on the day when such a thread ends with the opening post cause nobody can be bothered to post.
I could lock these threads early but then I would miss the opportunity to let people embarrass themselves :p

trix said:
That is a good point, however, craigx is not a company, he is not a PR department, and they don't even HAVE a PR department.
Personally I find the idea that every business should be run like a big corperation, insulting.
I'm not saying that every business should be run like a big corporation.
There will be plenty of people who pre-ordered a Pandora but never post anything on this forum they probably just like to read it and keep up to date with their investment, to then read a post like this from someone who is one of the faces of the Pandora project sends a very negative signal about the project about Craig and how things are run.

trix said:
I like the regular dudes feeling of OpenPandora, this is my favorite part. If they started going all PR on us with every post I would lose interest quickly. I much prefer a person speak bluntly, even if insulting, then hide behind a mask of polite PRing.
I agree with you here it is good that Craig can be himself and be a regular person on the boards but even so sometimes I think to myself "omg whats next?" when I see what Craig writes, he really needs to breath and think for a second when he reads something on here, its just a forum after all and Craig needs to be showing his maturity in situations like this and be the bigger man.

trix said:
As far as brown nosing or whatever, frankly I give a fuck who is who and who does what, I base my opinions on my experience, knowledge, and common sense. Just because I happen to be on the side of the dude making Pandoras on this one issue doesn't mean a damn thing. Furthermore, I find it insulting and presumptuous to suggest otherwise. Until there is sufficient evidence either way, it's always best to give people the benefit of the doubt. Most people, in my experience, derive more enjoyment playing the 'rebel' or 'devils advocate' then the brown noser. There ARE brown nosers, but they are the minority rather then the majority, in my experience.
I wasn't suggesting that you personally did the brown nosing :) I wasn't saying that everyone does this either just that its something I pick up on

trix said:
EDIT: Forgot to address the pic!
First, it's waaaay old. Stopped being funny years ago.
Second, it misses one important fact. Sometimes arguing a point can be quite enjoyable! That doesn't make one retarded, just, human.
Third, YOU missed one important fact (unless you meant that tongue in cheek), you posted a pic saying that arguing on the internet makes people retarded, in the same post where you argue. On the internet.
I know its old but I don't think this picture ever stops being funny (in fact I'm giggling at it now lol) or relevant in forum situations, I wasn't arguing with anyone I was just making an observation and I posted the pic cos I think its funny and I thought others might appreciate it :)

I also had my differences with Craig, but I've started to accept it. Maybe he needs this mantra-style attitude to concentrate on his goal to make Pandora a success and not lose focus, dunno. I'd still prefer he wouldn't post when he's in this state, cause it would cut down useless responses and anger.

There are some argumentational gems inside this thread, but most of it has been discussed to death already.

True, it has been argued to death. I even vaguely remember a contributing member ready to leave this place, purely out of disgust for Craig's posting style. Yet, he persists. Which means, in the end, arguments aside, it doesn't matter what our opinions are. Craig is going to be Craig, and post the way Craig does, and it is not going to change. Again I personally like that about him, as I think it stands in comforting contrast to the unrealistically always pleasant PR way businesses usually respond to their customers, and adds a further human feeling to all of this. But, like it or hate it, that is how he is sometimes.

Kind of like the rest of us.

trix said:
You should keep in mind the "hardware defects" seem to only effect a very small percentage of the ones that have shipped. Not only that, but the defects dont seem crippling.

If you call the nubs breaking, and the screen colours going crazy, sure. It's not a minority of people, as some of us are on our third machine.

SomeGuy99 said:
If you call the nubs breaking, and the screen colours going crazy, sure. It's not a minority of people, as some of us are on our third machine.

It probably depends on what you consider defects. My shoulder buttons aren't very good, I have the screen bezel problem, charger problems (although on retrospect I might have put the battery in at some point while it was charging, ie, removed the battery to reset it because nothing else would... so bad on me, I need to be more careful about not doing that >_>), and I haven't had that much luck getting my nubs at satisfactory balanced calibration; and am not going to consider them not flawed until they mouse at the same rate of acceleration in all directions. I think I've seen them mouse okay once or twice though. Then there are wifi problems, which I fortunately haven't been getting since I stopped using a conflicting channel like a newb.

Quite honestly I think the odds of getting a Pandora with NOTHING wrong with it, where a "flaw" is defined as something that someone else's unit might not have, are actually not very good. Just a lot of flaws are things people can live with and won't send back their units over. I had this feeling going in so I wasn't very surprised, but it still kinda sucks.

Back