The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

Is anyone willing to take a photo of a Wiz proto sitting next to a GP2X, both turned on, so we can see the relative screen sizes?

Anyway, I'm excited for the Wiz, it's pretty much what I'd want a 2X follow-up to be in most respects. I wanted a handheld with quick and easy homebrew and retrogaming on it, with good battery life and, of course, the touchscreen takes care of lack of 'mouse' input for me :) Most older games can be mapped to use standard controls anyway (had a lot of experience with that on my Xbox) so a keyboard isn't needed except in exceptional circumstances. Like text adventures! :D

For for whether the Wiz and Pandora are competing.... to me, no. The Pandora was too expensive and thus too restricted in its market for me, and besides, after using an ePC (900) I'd rather get a small x86 machine with XP capability and the like than a Linux handheld, no matter how impressive the latter is. No, I was never in the market for a Pandora, and frankly that saddened me. The arrival of the Wiz has got me excited about handheld homebrew again... I'd almost consigned myself to PSP homebrew, I'm glad that isn't the case.

Retroid said:
Is anyone willing to take a photo of a Wiz proto sitting next to a GP2X, both turned on, so we can see the relative screen sizes?
Not turned on, but you get the idea with this photo taken by Puck2099:

More photos/videos here

Last edited by a moderator:
Retroid said:
I'd almost consigned myself to PSP homebrew, I'm glad that isn't the case.
PSP homebrew is great ! There is tons of excellent homebrew stuff and scene is very active. There may be more emulators on gp2x that are way more polished than on PSP (in particular Mame and pcengine), but on the other hand you have perfect ps1 and cps2 emulation :) You really miss something.
This said, I will for sure purchase a Wiz :)

Uukrul said:
More photos/videos here

I didn't realize it was so tiny. This is really the handheld I was looking for :)

Uukrul said:
Not turned on, but you get the idea with this photo taken by Puck2099:

More photos/videos here

Oh wow, that looks beautiful :)

I also like the fact that SD/Games/Flash are the top menu icons, instead of Video or Media... Really shows that GPH will push the Wiz as a games handheld first and foremost unlike the first GP2X :)

Mr 2X said:
but what's about "U / I and stabilization" ? (<- Google translation)
Maybe User Interface, ie. firmware?

Ravnos said:
Jesus Christ, that picture of the Wiz next to the GBM makes me want to see GPSP run on this thing.
Me too, let's see if I can't do something about that ;)

Jaguarandine said:
I was going to say RC Stunt Copter :)

Sphinxter: Are you trying to incite DaveC's wrath?? 480x272 is terrible for emulation ;)
I know, that's just how much I don't like the display. ;) If they really intended it for new emerging homebrew wouldn't it been better to go with the same aspect ratio as the smart phones or other handhelds?

Ravnos said:
Jesus Christ, that picture of the Wiz next to the GBM makes me want to see GPSP run on this thing.
Well it should run full speed and smooth. The resolution doesn't match very well though so it isn't going to look as good as it does on a real GBA.

Bah!

I wanted 2 D-Pads to play these games in MAME properly

Robotron
Karate Champ
Crazy Climber

:D :D :D

unclechicken said:
Bah!

I wanted 2 D-Pads to play these games in MAME properly

Robotron
Karate Champ
Crazy Climber

:D :D :D
Don't forget about SMASH TV!

Oh my! That`s Great news! :D

Thank you, GPH! Thanks EvilDragon! :)

I just hope it will be proper buttons: round, reliable and comfortable (exactly like gp2x F100 has).

er... uh.. any chance to add more buttons and/or analog controls in the future realeses?
And is it possible to make bigger screen?
Oh, yeah, forgot to mention - we`re need 128mb RAM also (i`m asking too much? i know...).

It should be wonderful emulation machine! :wub:

Good news in general, however, I wanted a dual-d-pad one myself. :D

GPH, if you have a stock of the original Dual D-Pad version, I know I wouldn't mind grabbing it as a "Special Limited Edition" or such.

GunPei2X said:
When doing the system comparison charts, I think this should be a category:

Presence of chad78
Wiz: No :)
Pandora: Yes :(

It's almost enough to make me choose one over the other...

Seriously though, the Wiz is a completely different beastie than the Pandora. Its dual analogue sticks are brilliant, but shoving an analogue stick on the Wiz would be a superfluous design inclusion given its intended form factor and uses. The touch screen will suffice quite well.

Just think of it as another differentiating factor for the Pandora, in which the analogue controls make total sense. That's because they are complementary, not competing, systems.
Sheesh, you're not freaking kidding me. It's making me consider the Wiz instead. If Craig banned Chad78 from the forums - that might be a wise marketing decision for the Pandora.

PolloLoco said:
If Craig banned Chad78 from the forums - that might be a wise marketing decision for the Pandora.
Craig can't ban people :p.

Back