The Wiz Is Back In Production!

Amon_Re said:
foody said:
kasi said:
foody said:
My GP2X Wiz screen have died on me no less than four month of purchase and
... you contacted the A/S center or your trustworthy dealer to claim the warranty?

Edit: Just to add some on-topic, I find it great that the WIZ not totally abandoned by GPH. People have a choice, now.

You mean to tell me I have to keep going to a trust worthy dealer to keep replacing it? I don't think this is practical and any way or form.

My Wiz is still fine & older then 4 months, maybe you just had a bad one?
That would be my guess as well. Had mine over 1 year with no problems at all. I also use it fairly frequently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had my Wiz for well over 1 year and use it for more than 3 hours a day. Not once have I had a problem.

Maybe because no homebrew software for the Caanoo yet, so GPH has to sell more Wiz to keep afloat. GPH software is not the attraction, it's the FREE homebrew software. :D

foody said:
u9i said:
foody said:
DaveC said:
EvilDragon said:
Since there was a real high demand for the WIZ, GPH decided to start the production once more.
Costs will be a bit higher, though it is not known yet if the distributors want to charge more or not.

I have no idea when the first batch of WIZ will be delivered.
Cool, I wonder if it will still have the OLED screen or if they replaced it with an ordinary LCD?

Now If I could get them to extend the d-pad pivot by .5mm, and make the contact "combs" finer so the buttons register better that would be great.

That is insane? Why would anyone want to buy a system with OLED technology on it? Personally, when I have the cash even if Wiz is in production again I would buy the Caannoo. Caannoo is the best now compared to Wiz. I don't want waste money on a product that have a very high defective rate..

That is a funny statement from a person who hasn't even tried either. The OLED livespan i believe is serveral years at 8 hours-per-day use. The plague is caused by some defective screens, not a fault of the OLED technology itself. Screens that have cracked. I, for one am very sad they have returned to LCD, but if it keeps GPH alive, then so be it.

/Uni

I am forced to respond to your horrible accusation only because I don't want to leave your statement as truthful and have people getting the idea that I have never tried OLED and LCD technology before or that I have never owned a GP2X series period.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself MR. Big Mouth. Yeah, I think this title fits you very well. I was a proud owner of GP2X-F100 and GP2X-F200, then I migrated like flock of ducks to GP2X Wiz. I sold one of my previous valued items on eBay just to BUY the GP2X-Wiz just you know...and what I sold was very a rare item that for sure would have went even higher if I waited little bit longer. I am also owner of PC and migrated like fluck of birds from CRT monitor to LCD monitor. I have complete experience in this technology very well. Returning back to my topic about not having known or touched OLED technology before and that I am so morrun who opens his "fat big mouth", which I am sure is more better suited title for you. I have GP2X Wiz, and I know the OLED screen looks like, the screen is BEAUTIFUL way beautiful than my LCD screen and I evern suggested on one of my posts wanting a PC monitor with OLED screen on it, people responded that they prefer to have durability and not wanting their PC monitor dying in one year. I agreed with them by the way, even though I refused to boost and inflate their ego by saying they are right.

My GP2X Wiz screen have died on me no less than four month of purchase and it started having this endless mizzles of black dots on my screen and worseness by each day. So while yes the screen is beautiful I would refuse to own one because of it's lacking durability. Maybe one day they would make it last more than a year or monthes maybe with advanced technology they would have it last ten years as maximum durbaility, but until they achieve this goal I am refusing to spend another 170 or 190 dollars on a GP2X where the risk of death of screen is sooo high even if by accident someone drops it. And before you go to start raising your finger at me like some old grandma teaching her baby grandchild about how not drop things, you know as well as everyone the chance of not dropping your gp2x on the floor is impossible. One day somewhere...UNAVOIDINGLY you are going to drop it, again and again and again and consoles should be made to handle this sort of abuse not crack like a little egg shell the first time it falls and hits the ground.

So for your horrible responce just because I somehow did not agree with you in anyway or possible...HAVE THIS...* grabs a pie and throws it at your face *, hmmmm...I ASK YOU!! * slaps the door shut and leaves the room *

eh... Hi foody. I apologize if i offended you. You certainly seemed to take it personally. As i read your post i got the impression you had neither a Wiz nor Caanoo. I didn't see your username, if i did, i would probably have known you had a Wiz. I just read that you would never buy a Wiz, and are wanting to buy a Caanoo, so I drew the wrong conclusion. That is why I wrote that it is a funny statement from a person who had neither. But you did, so great :) I stand corrected.

My point was to address your "why would anyone want to buy an OLED system." It is because it has an amazing picture. Holding my GP2x next to my Wiz made me sad to see. I haven't compared the Wiz with the Caanoo screen yet, but i suspect when i do, i will be disappointed. Devices are starting to come with AMOLED, especially smart phones, and the screens cannot be produced fast enough.

Anyways, i'll go into this corner over here to wash off this tasty pie hehehe

/Uni

foody said:
kasi said:
foody said:
My GP2X Wiz screen have died on me no less than four month of purchase and
... you contacted the A/S center or your trustworthy dealer to claim the warranty?

Edit: Just to add some on-topic, I find it great that the WIZ not totally abandoned by GPH. People have a choice, now.

You mean to tell me I have to keep going to a trust worthy dealer to keep replacing it? I don't think this is practical and any way or form.
Well, it's just that there is a lot of posts from people who had the same problem and got there replacement from the A/S center without problems.
I got my WIZ with the very first batch in 2009 and I took it half around the world and, you are perfectly right, dropped it. Still the screen is brilliant as ever.
It would definitely have been worth a try to claim this after just 4 months. Maybe you can still try?

i've had my wiz for over 2 years (pre-ordered it and got it when it first came out - time flies, got a shock when i checked my play asia order for caanoo to see my wiz had shipped in august 2008!!!) - she's never skipped a beat.

cheers, simon

foody said:
If your Wiz has 4 months you are under the warranty, write an email to the A/S Center and is possible they send you a new Wiz. The Wiz OLED screen has a *lifetime* warranty of the manufacturer.

P.S. My Wiz is from the first batch and the screen is perfect.

still, no handheld from gph with a 3.5' screen size and a d-pad. i hope i wont have to wait for several years to have that. i like my wiz, but i cant live anymore with a 2.8' screen size. finally i think the d-pad from the wiz will win over the analog stick from the caanoo. now time to release a new caanoo with a d-pad or make a wiz with a 3.5' screen

My Wiz is over a year old and it still works fine, as well. I can't say I'm that crazy about the screen though. It's really grainy. The benefits of OLED are quite obvious when you're using MAME or watching a movie or something, though. I just hope the price of OLED screens will go down so that higher quality ones can be used in handhelds, and for less. Then maybe we'll see them being used way more (and less screen failures).

As for the size of the screen, I really don't mind small screens. Actually I like them, because stuff looks better when it's scaled down. Stuff like psx games look better on a psp/wiz/etc than they do on a tv, for example. (IMO, obviously)

absolofdoom said:
My Wiz is over a year old and it still works fine, as well. I can't say I'm that crazy about the screen though. It's really grainy. The benefits of OLED are quite obvious when you're using MAME or watching a movie or something, though. I just hope the price of OLED screens will go down so that higher quality ones can be used in handhelds, and for less. Then maybe we'll see them being used way more (and less screen failures).

As for the size of the screen, I really don't mind small screens. Actually I like them, because stuff looks better when it's scaled down. Stuff like psx games look better on a psp/wiz/etc than they do on a tv, for example. (IMO, obviously)
Genesis games look absolutely fantastic with the OLED screen also. For example, Castle of Illusion, and the Sonic games.

After a half year the screen of my Wiz died. Then it was replaced by GPH and worked for another half year until it died again. So my experience with the OLED of the Wiz isn't that good. Now the A/S-Center sends me a complete new unit for 70 Euros. I hope that it will work now without problems...

Hmmm... why GPH suddenly producing Wiz once again?

Because the high demand of PS3 user, they want to jailbreak their PS3 via GP2X Wiz.
Dingoo is already ported, so the next one is Wiz. :)

they Would be more smart if they create some kind of compatibility mode for Wiz apps in Caanoo.
Perfectly doable.

Reo said:
absolofdoom said:

Genesis games look absolutely fantastic with the OLED screen also. For example, Castle of Illusion, and the Sonic games.
Look at vector games in MAME on the Wiz. No LCD handheld game system beats the look, none. I hate LCD, it is one thing I don't like about the Pandora, not a good black level.

The title is a bit misleading :p They're only producing one new batch of Wiz, in very limited quantities. After that, they won't be able to source more OLED screens. They will presumably keep some spare screens for use in repairs, but after they run out of them, there'll be no more Wiz. All of this has apparently been confirmed by Anarchy. I wonder why it's so hard to find OLED screens.

Exophase said:
I wonder if this means that Caanoo demand was less than GPH thought it'd be..

I'm pretty sure Caanoo demand is high. For some reason, people always keep buying their consoles, one after another, and each model sells even better than they previous one. How they can afford getting a new console every one and a half/two years, is something I don't know.

Segata Sanshiro said:
The title is a bit misleading :p They're only producing one new batch of Wiz, in very limited quantities. After that, they won't be able to source more OLED screens. They will presumably keep some spare screens for use in repairs, but after they run out of them, there'll be no more Wiz. All of this has apparently been confirmed by Anarchy. I wonder why it's so hard to find OLED screens.

Overly glad to hear that... a good step to support the Wiz a bit longer. While i basically have absolutely nothing against the Cannooo (my only objection is the weird name) the small form-factor Wiz is my fav currently. It just fits everywhere and still maintains a sharp & vivid display. I hope they are manufacturing a few additional battery packs for aftersale support too :)

I never even consider additional battery packs for gadgets because I think it'll outlast the playable lifetime of the main unit.

I know this thread is over a year old but I thought it would be better to post here than start a new one, just want to know if the Wiz is still in production or has been discontinued as many sites are out of stock?

crow_riot said:
from what i remember, the wiz is no longer in production

But Thinkgeek who are a reputable reseller of Wiz are expecting stock in "1-3 weeks". Does that mean Gph still have new old stock of Wiz's for certain resellers?

Back