there seems to be smart people here?

mrnotcrazy

Still Fresh
This is the crazy topic i shall now use it to dump my mindless thoughts and ideas for Pandora here

idea 1: anyone here good at writing i got a paper due tuesday and boy did i not have time to write it!

idea 2: Tshirts I WANT ONE

idea 3: anyone notice how topic descriptions seem....misplaced?

idea 4: water proofing? and how it would be done

idea 5: yes im a bit bored and should be working on paper but unless any of you have any bright ideas...

idea 6: Pandora accessory's(pandora faceplates, pandora keyboards(specifitc for pandora), multi pandora(game controller with same lay out as pandora)

idea 7: Pandora the movie

idea 8: self preserving pandora(see movie above)

idea 9: sell pandora along side of theI-saw

idea 10: make more ideas when I am more awake.

(p.s got $27 for the pandora saved up only 300 or so more to go!)

1. Terrible at writing, it was the shittiest part of school for me, and I still can't do it. They never teach you how to be motivated, and you just hate it, and hate yourself, and it's terrible.

2. Already a thread somewhere

3. No

4. Carefully, I'd assume. Luckily the Pandora doesn't have fans, but the hinge might complicate things.

5. Work on the paper. Even if you just write out some bullshit, "And then I use this quote and talk about how this character was such a dick" that's better than nothing. Just write ANYTHING, because you can always revise it later, and thinking about it is much better than agonizing.

6. I don't think OPT are going to make Pandora accessories. There was already a thread about it, and we agreed they couldn't afford to mass-produce something with such a limited market.

7. Nah

8. Nah

9. Sounds terrible

10. You don't have to.

P.S. I think the Pandora is $500 now but I'm not sure how that works, you'd better ask someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, just like on entirely too many other web forums. When I started learning PHP quite some time ago (I won't even touch it nowadays), I implemented a web forum. Now for the interesting part: Since I wanted to avoid some of the problems typical for web forums I also came up with a solution against stupid thread titles: Do NOT give the users a "Title" text field when they are creating a new thread. Instead, when they are creating a new thread and AFTER they clicked "finished" after writing their post, open up a text field asking them for a "Super short one sentence summary of your post:".

idea 1: anyone here good at writing i got a paper due tuesday and boy did i not have time to write it!
Sure, I gladli offa to write ze päpar! (Not really. In accordance to idea 5, I'd advise you to re-think your priorities.)

Yeah, just like on entirely too many other web forums. When I started learning PHP quite some time ago (I won't even touch it nowadays), I implemented a web forum. Now for the interesting part: Since I wanted to avoid some of the problems typical for web forums I also came up with a solution against stupid thread titles: Do NOT give the users a "Title" text field when they are creating a new thread. Instead, when they are creating a new thread and AFTER they clicked "finished" after writing their post, open up a text field asking them for a "Super short one sentence summary of your post:".

Sure, I gladli offa to write ze päpar! (Not really. In accordance to idea 5, I'd advise you to re-think your priorities.)

Well really this is what i call "idea outlet" like burning off all the extra ideas in your mind before writing a paper, no i would never let you write my paper i mean proof reading besides i was still just burning off. NO im not on weed in fact im against it, however i am under the influence of several cans of mt dew and i am currently suffering from caffeine overload. and finally while i don't HAVE TO i probably will have more ideas thats why they call this off topic

I wouldn't want to drink several cans of soda before writing a paper.

You'd have to piss a lot, and broken sleep schedules don't make it any easier to write.

I wouldn't want to drink several cans of soda before writing a paper.

You'd have to piss a lot, and broken sleep schedules don't make it any easier to write.

i am also aware of this however since i had a fever of 104 last night and 102 this morning i would say my judgment is impaired

ok? so now that the pandora is like $500 what makes it better than thisi mean 1.3GHz processor? sure no nubs no pandora but......its got usb and where theres a usb theres a way

ok? so now that the pandora is like $500 what makes it better than thisi mean 1.3GHz processor? sure no nubs no pandora but......its got usb and where theres a usb theres a way

1: those are surprisingly bad

2: no controls of any kind, terrible for gaming on

3: less support, it's the kind of thing that gets pumped out of china and people buy, then realise has lots of problems and there's nowhere to get help

4: battery life, not >10 hours

Looks interesting but as Frylock said:

1. Intel x86 CPU, so battery life is decent for a notebook but kind of lame for a pocket device

2. Looks a bit bigger, does it even fit in pockets?

3. Hinge is Macbook-style, I hate that kind of hinge

4. Wouldn't an Atom get very hot in your pocket after 6 hours?

5. Doesn't come with Linux pre-loaded, hopefully it can boot from USB or you're not going to have Linux at all.

Other than that it is interesting.

OK so i need a new router, new wireless router that is needs to be compatible with the wii for parents(their so old) forget what security the wii can support but right now its on wpa2 and it works fine, surprised with today's tech some routers are stuck in stone age. umm preferable wireless N? and under $100

That mini PC looks nice but I'd bet, like others have said, once you buy it, that's it. No community, no support and it will vanish from sale as fast as it appeared never to be heard from again.

Also take note of the price of it, that's probably using Chinese labour too. That's why we had to raise the Pandora price. You just can't make mini computers for under $500 unless you're maybe Apple or Dell.

That mini PC looks nice but I'd bet, like others have said, once you buy it, that's it. No community, no support and it will vanish from sale as fast as it appeared never to be heard from again.

Also take note of the price of it, that's probably using Chinese labour too. That's why we had to raise the Pandora price. You just can't make mini computers for under $500 unless you're maybe Apple or Dell.

The point of my question was not to see if the mini pc was good but more of to see what responce i would get, If i got something like OH wow hey did i mention this on the Pandora, or OMG how can you say anything is better than Pandora!, and...well you get idea im gauging the community

From an end consumer standpoint:

I look at that mini PC and think "wow it's got so much of what I wanted in the pandora..." Then I see the price and go "except for THAT". I dont mind that it's a windows machine because I know the OS, Win 7 is so much nicer than the crime against humanity that Vista was, and there are lots of free programs that I could just port over from my existing computer, but it's still Windows which means tons of bloat in software and an overhead that levels the playing field on processor speed, virus protection updates every hour and the feeling that someone is counting your money and giggling mirthfully as you suffer. Being that it's Windows it means a lot of Emulators are already well ahead of the curve in terms of optimization. Apparently it already has codec support for Hi-def video (probably requires an extra purchase) as well as full browser functionality. Many of these things we're still kind waiting to see speed up on Pandora (understandably some people might say we have flash already, but it's not as easy as hitting the macromedia website to install and 720p video might be "playable", but also not an instant type thing). The upside is yes we have a community that is eager to help, but with a well established brand (the windows & intel stuff it uses) the other side of the coin is that you dont often need as much help... unless the computer itself breaks and then it's "hello faceless corporation that cares nothing for anything but my cash". I had questions about my Pandora the first day and it wasnt more than an hour or so before Craig, ED and others were responding directly to me.

While it doesnt have the game controller buttons it seems small enough that the keyboard wouldn't be too horrible in a pinch for Mame and 8bit games, but it does miss out on analog nubs and shoulder buttons needed for 16bit and higher. You can use a USB pad but you cant really do that standing up on the train or bus which is what I was easily able to do with the Pandora the other day. I dont really have a need for a webcam on the go, that's what my phone or my actual camera is for. GPS, etc. is fun, but c'mon who doesnt already have a phone with all that? Okay, if you don't, this isnt your situation but for some it probably already is, and their phones may already have tethering, forgoing the need for 3G (if you're willing to drop 600 bucks on a computer you probably already have a 400 dollar phone). The Pandora easily stayed on all day playing music and games and even a little wireless internet surfing once I got home, 6 hours is nice for a windows computer but 12+ is better. The Pandora seems to be a little bulkier but it's still easy to port around. Personally, I find that some consumer products look nice and slim on the websites, in reality there's an awkward battery attached that they never really show you (HP's 6 hour battery for netbooks for instance, seriously WTF!? I cant even fit that in it's case with that freakin' kickstand hanging off it). Pandora's flaws are ones that can be overcome with time, while the Mini PCs are ones that could be argued are by design in some cases. They might be ones some people have the patience to deal with, where they might not be willing to spend time getting to know it or waiting for functionality updates on Pandora.

I see good and bad points for both devices. In the end, even with the waiting game for the Pandora to mature, I'm still glad I already have one... and so is my wallet. I paid 330 for it versus the 650 they want for the mini pc, that's 320 bucks I can put towards something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
From an end consumer standpoint:

I look at that mini PC and think "wow it's got so much of what I wanted in the pandora..." Then I see the price and go "except for THAT". I dont mind that it's a windows machine because I know the OS, Win 7 is so much nicer than the crime against humanity that Vista was, and there are lots of free programs that I could just port over from my existing computer, but it's still Windows which means tons of bloat in software and an overhead that levels the playing field on processor speed, virus protection updates every hour and the feeling that someone is counting your money and giggling mirthfully as you suffer. Being that it's Windows it means a lot of Emulators are already well ahead of the curve in terms of optimization. Apparently it already has codec support for Hi-def video (probably requires an extra purchase) as well as full browser functionality. Many of these things we're still kind waiting to see speed up on Pandora (understandably some people might say we have flash already, but it's not as easy as hitting the macromedia website to install and 720p video might be "playable", but also not an instant type thing). The upside is yes we have a community that is eager to help, but with a well established brand (the windows & intel stuff it uses) the other side of the coin is that you dont often need as much help... unless the computer itself breaks and then it's "hello faceless corporation that cares nothing for anything but my cash". I had questions about my Pandora the first day and it wasnt more than an hour or so before Craig, ED and others were responding directly to me.

While it doesnt have the game controller buttons it seems small enough that the keyboard wouldn't be too horrible in a pinch for Mame and 8bit games, but it does miss out on analog nubs and shoulder buttons needed for 16bit and higher. You can use a USB pad but you cant really do that standing up on the train or bus which is what I was easily able to do with the Pandora the other day. I dont really have a need for a webcam on the go, that's what my phone or my actual camera is for. GPS, etc. is fun, but c'mon who doesnt already have a phone with all that? Okay, if you don't, this isnt your situation but for some it probably already is, and their phones may already have tethering, forgoing the need for 3G (if you're willing to drop 600 bucks on a computer you probably already have a 400 dollar phone). The Pandora easily stayed on all day playing music and games and even a little wireless internet surfing once I got home, 6 hours is nice for a windows computer but 12+ is better. The Pandora seems to be a little bulkier but it's still easy to port around. Personally, I find that some consumer products look nice and slim on the websites, in reality there's an awkward battery attached that they never really show you (HP's 6 hour battery for netbooks for instance, seriously WTF!? I cant even fit that in it's case with that freakin' kickstand hanging off it). Pandora's flaws are ones that can be overcome with time, while the Mini PCs are ones that could be argued are by design in some cases. They might be ones some people have the patience to deal with, where they might not be willing to spend time getting to know it or waiting for functionality updates on Pandora.

I see good and bad points for both devices. In the end, even with the waiting game for the Pandora to mature, I'm still glad I already have one... and so is my wallet. I paid 330 for it versus the 650 they want for the mini pc, that's 320 bucks I can put towards something else.

hey people! woohoo! i don't have time to read all this i just found that after a Google search, i think i mentioned "The point of my question was not to see if the mini pc was good but more of to see what responce i would get" so.....im done now we can move on....(pushes mini pc away) ok now that were all PASS the mini pc i think we can focus! on.......my question about routers.

Back