What is the best way to record videos?

second exodous

Advanced Member
I got the idea for this thread from Good camera/webcam for making videos? thread and have a cheap tripod and a Zi6 video camera. I tested recording my DSi XL, picture is pretty good but to film it I have my Zi6 right up against my chest and my arms out stretched to get the whole device in the shot which is uncomfortable and was wondering if anyone has ever rigged something up that held the camera better.

I just thought I'd start this thread to give others ideas on how do to this so they would be more willing to make their own videos on the Pandora. I think that will get more sales for the OP team than anything else would.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I made about fifty GP2X Wiz videos which are up on my YouTube channel. With every video I used a cheap tripod (brand: Hama), on which I mounted my Kodak Zi8 pocket video camera.

The tripod stands in front of me on my desk. While having activated the macro mode on the camera, I could always get the Wiz fully on the screen, so you see my thumbs going berserk on the little thingy. :lol: With the macro mode, there is a certain distance which is perfect. Too close or too far away makes the visuals rather blurry. So you have to find the perfect spot between the object and the camera. While recording I always had my elbows resting on the desk, so I could hold the unit pretty steady. And since the camera was pretty steady too, you get a really nice result without too much shaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28c_iEmksjY

Ow, and the audio is always crystal clear because I bought myself a cable which I can put into the headphone jack, and then directly into the camera. This sounds way better than the direct sound from the unit itself, and the occasionally random background noises.

For Pandora videos I'm still thinking about a good way too do all the recording. I now have a good desk lamp with LED lightning, so that will come in very handy, as some previous videos were a little too dark in my opinion. Although the screen was always very clear, because it gives a fairly good amount of light itself. But more lightning is always very welcome. So now I can even record during night if I want to.

Maybe it's also a good idea to hook-up a PS3 joypad via bluetooth, so you could just setup the whole thing and control it from a little distance. That way the shakyness is completely gone.

Or you can use two cameras at the same time. One pointing directly at the screen, and one from a little distance. Afterwards you can then edit everything and maybe even split-up the two videos so they are displayed next to each other.

Huh, my camera ha a macro switch on it, when fully flipped it can only focus on things really really close, like a few inches away, but there seems to be some adjustment by not flipping it all the way, don't know if that is a feature or a flaw.

This first video I made will be a review so I'll want my voice in the video. I also don't think the Zi6 has a audio-in jack on it. Lighting seems fine, where I'm going to record has a big florescent tube light over it so in that respect I think I'll be fine.

Well, I'll give it a go and see what happens when I get my Pandora. Craig said mine should have been shipped by today but no e-mail yet, still have my fingers crossed though.

Back