Things To Do With A New Wiz

microwavecat

Still Fresh
Hi Guys,

I just got my wiz today after getting it from Thinkgeek, turned it on and after a few seconds it said "battery empty" and it proceeded to turn itself off; I plugged it into my computer and it started charging(I think/hope?). I then retried it but after a couple of minutes the same thing happened so I assume it doesnt allow you to play while its charging(fair enough I guess considering Laptop usb's max out ~ 700mA?)

I didnt receive any kind of user manual, only a quick guide thing that tells you what folders do what on the device; I cant seem to navigate the fungp website past the main page(tried it on firefox,icecat & epiphany and it seems empty with the exception of a side menu which doesnt seem to work) SO anyone know if theres a more comprehensive user manual & product maintenance guide? you know.. like the ones that give "obvious" advice and info on the batteries & charging process? Right now the LED on the side of the unit's red...is that good? ><

ALso now that I(UNFORTUNATELY) have some free time on my hands(when instead it should be my wiz running Double dragon :s) I was wondering if theres an update to the "wiz info link" thread ? SOmething like a "to-do" list(hw & sw) to get myself up and running?

Also concerning the burn in issue thing (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50619-wiz-screen-burn-has-anyone-had-this-also/) im assuming having the screen turn off option set to any value other than the default one should prevent an image burn in right? Unless the display can be burned in by a ~60 second static image ?

finally Id like to play NES/SNES/MEGADRIVE/MASTERSYSTEM and maybe even consoles that I never had like the turbografx/atari jag(can I?) What are your personal favorites as far as emulators go? and why? I guess im trying to get an idea of the pros n cons of each :)

EDIT::
1. I Found a manual after some googling, and I guess it was probably in that little cd that I overlooked.
-->DOnt see any info on color coding of charge status...assume its red = uncharged, green = charged?
Thanks alot guys!!

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue is charged. You should be able to play while charging, but for the health of the battery the first charge should probably occur in a single go.

Software is here.

Edit: No way on the Jag, but Temper is an excellent Turbografx emulator. Picodrive is great for genesis/megadrive, gpfce is the go-to nes emulator, DrPocketSnes 7.2.0 was recently uploaded for snes... I'm using AlexKidd2x for master system, but it has room for improvement.

microwavecat said:
SML said:
Blue is charged. You should be able to play while charging, but for the health of the battery the first charge should probably occur in a single go.

Software is here.

Yikes! I turned it on! and tried to change a setting in the menu...will that affect it? Do I have to discharge the battery ocassionally like some of those old laptop batteries ?

That emulator list a little overwhelming...lol umm is there any way I can sort it based on emulated system?

Thanks man!

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. I don't think anyone has uploaded the latest DrPocketSnes to the Wiz archive, so you can find it here. Have fun!

UPDATE: So the unit's red LED turned blue! That means its fully charged right? Or is there some exemption for the first time? I think I read a post from someone saying that it should be left 8-16 hours straight first time around...is that true?

Regards,

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Some people might disagree, but it's like with a laptop battery; there are certain ways you *should* treat a laptop battery to preserve it, that in practice are often ignored. When I first got my wiz I would "top off" the charge all the time, and there was a period of several months where I didn't use it at all. It still performs fine, so far as I can tell, with ~5 hours of life per charge.

The console comes with a extensive manual in a CD. The manual is in many languages and explains how to use all the funcions in detail.

About the console light must be blue when is charged and red when is low of batteries. This is documented in the user manual. A full charge may take 6-8 hours depending mAh of the charger. If you play while you are charging the console, the Wiz spends the energy while you are charging.

About the screen 'burn', only occurs if you leave the Wiz turned on many hours with the same image charging or playing. Activate the screensaver in the menu, and turn off the console when you are charging.

I made a guide for Wiz begginers, it's in Spanish but you can use a translator.
http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?t=66533

I think the manual comes on a CD, as Hardyx mentioned, but I haven't personally looked at the CD that came with my Wiz.

If the Wiz is off, red light means charging and blue light means fully charged. If the Wiz is on, purple light means charging+on and blue light means on.

You can charge the Wiz from the AC mains by plugging the USB cable into a USB power brick from other devices like iPhones.

I believe the Wiz (like most modern devices with built-in batteries) uses a lithium-ion battery. The big thing with those is that you avoid running them down to the point where they're completely dead. Other people also suggest that they do like to be used a lot instead of kept topped off 100% of the time, but in my experience this isn't a huge deal - especially with the Wiz since it's too awkward to play while charging anyways!

For screen burn, I haven't seen anything worrying on mine. It does show a subtle ghost of images that have been on the screen for more than a few seconds, but it fades quickly and is only noticeable if you're looking for it.

As far as finding emulators, go to openhandhelds.org and navigate to Wiz->Emulators->whatever. I recommend sorting the lists by date (newest to oldest) and going down them to pick out the newest emulator for each system you're interested in.

Also, in addition to the new DrPocketSNES v7.2.0 release, I recently posted a tweak to GPFCE (NES emulator) in the beta testing section of this forum that you might be interested in :)

About the screen burn issue, just be aware that the screen saver only works in the menue.
Leaving it on for hours in a certain game with the start screen showing might be dangerous.

rds

kasi

Back