This Guy Needs Help!

christo930

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3VIO4KUYWI&feature=g-subs-u

This guy has a large following and has done a very negative review of his Pandora. One problem is physical and he needs to get the shoulder button replaced, but he is also having endless problems getting emulators to work. I would suggest helping him out so he can put up a better review.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I already tried to help, several of us in fact.  I got one post onto his site and was subsequently put on moderation.  I responded to the person criticizing my criticism but that never got approved.  I take it Tweeterman doesn't want help so much as he just wants to rant sometimes.

I kind of sympathise with this guy.. I'm in the same boat, just received it, I got PSX stuff working, but hit and miss with a lot of the other emulators. (Amiga one I just get a black screen, even witht he roms and kick starts that work in my Wiz) A lot of the emulators seem geared toward a developer rather than an end user, and if you don't know Linux it can seem kind of backwards what you have to do to get things running.

I'm no Apple fanboy but there can be a lot said for the phase they always spout -  "it just works"

I will persist but idiot guides would be great!

It's not that it was geared towards developers, it's that most of them were written by developers, and most of the users of the Pandora do have at least some technical savy.  If there's something that needs improvement then it's going to take a non-developer to point them out.  Sometimes that happens, most of the time the current user base has no problem with any quirks so no one thinks to say there's a problem to "the nons" (as it were).

I know, and don't get me wrong I couldn't do any better, but if the Pandora is to appeal to a broader fan base and to those who are not tech savy then a bit more user friendliness wouldn't go amiss.. Things like, standard key mappings for emulators for example. My first impressions are that once you have installed something you have to do a lot of  config changes before it will work, and no two emulators are the same.

I know the mini gui launchers goes some way to addressing the above

Standard key bindings for emulator actions comes up a lot, there's a lot of really good discussion, some recommendations are fleshed out, and then no one takes ownership of those recommendations.
The biggest problem with standards anyway is that most emulators are ports from desktop: updates for the different CPU and screen, but for the most part unchanged, including the original keybindings.  No one complains that the desktop emulators don't have a set standard; that doesn't mean we shouldn't work to have our own standard, but it does emphasize the difficulty of actually doing so, not physically difficult but psychologically.

Andy G said:
I kind of sympathise with this guy.. I'm in the same boat, just received it, I got PSX stuff working, but hit and miss with a lot of the other emulators. (Amiga one I just get a black screen, even witht he roms and kick starts that work in my Wiz) A lot of the emulators seem geared toward a developer rather than an end user, and if you don't know Linux it can seem kind of backwards what you have to do to get things running.

I'm no Apple fanboy but there can be a lot said for the phase they always spout -  "it just works"

I will persist but idiot guides would be great!
What really surprised me is how much money this thing costed him. Also, I have been a critic of the financing ever since the project started. People don't invest their money in an operation so they can be customers, they do it to make money. All of the people who pre-ordered in the very beginning lost the use of their money for years without compensation, while the OP team is making money. They also lost money because they prepaid with money valued in 2008 or so and then received the item in 2012 and there has been a lot of inflation since then. This idea of customer financing is just terrible.

OTOH, I would like to see the Pandora be a sucess and if these issues are not ironed out, OP will never go anywhere. On top of that, they have to comptete with things like the JXD 7001s, with it's 7" screen, good controls, the android OS, much faster machine and a much broader base of handheld apps.

The price of the Pandora needs to come down. All of the molds design etc is already done and recouped and the components are now somewhat dated and much less money. I don't see why they can't reach the $149 price point that Game Park was able to get. Of all the GP consoles, the GP2x F100 was the most successful and sold about 50k units. I don't see why the Pandora can't sell 40k units and get the price down through semi-mass production. Even if they can only get it down to 199 US dollars (not Euros), I think it would be much more popular.

With Craig and ED leading the team, I don't see why they can't issue "standards" when it comes to buttons and controls. I would think that the developers would welcome these standards if they came as part of the development kit. There can also be some sort of certification program where Craig and ED can put the Pandora seal of approval on certain peices of software that are known to work well and meet the standards. While the software developers aren't making much money out of the pandora, they are getting SOMETHING out of it, even if it's just the fun and having your app have the Pandora seal of approval would make the dev that much more proud of his work. I think that would be a good way of getting some of these things worked out.

Chris

EDIT: Forgot to add this:
"I already tried to help, several of us in fact.  I got one post onto his site and was subsequently put on moderation.  I responded to the person criticizing my criticism but that never got approved.  I take it Tweeterman doesn't want help so much as he just wants to rant sometimes."

Tweeterman strikes me as immature and he also seems to have an agenda. He deliberately picks out roms he knows are problematic when doing his reviews and I have pointed this out to him. Like when he's evaluating a SNES emulator, he'll pick a rom, that he presents as being randomly picked, that he knows is one of the more difficult ones to emulate, such as a rom with a built in chip (like the mario chip). OTOH, he does have a large user base and his user base are people who would be interested in the Pandora.
Of course, if he simply refuses help, there's little that can be done about it.

I found his video informative. Not overtly mean spirited, he's not even that scathing on the obviously defective/broken shoulder button - something that would be considered an instant-warranty-return for most people on any other product in Pandora's price range.

The trouble is, people who expect a mainstream style "works out the box" experience are going to be disappointed by the unpolished nature. And those with some openhandheld experience who know what to expect are also likely aware of the more powerful and affordable options out there.
Leaving Pandora stuck with a loyal yet finite audience.

Back