This Thing Just Killed The Pandora For Me

mali said:
I've been watching the scene very long by now and most of the members of this community really believe in the product. I wouldn't call it blind faith, as we have strong critical voices here, too.
I don't doubt the veracity of yours and other member’s belief in the product, or in the team developing it. On the contrary, it is grossly apparent that you would all wait indefinitely for the manifestation of that product. I say it is blind, because you ignore the obvious lack of transparency between the developers and the investors. You let them miss deadline after deadline after deadline without repudiation. You are all so focused on how great it's going to be if it ever gets here, that your oblivious to the fact that the dev's don't actually consider themselves accountable to you the investors. They make a good showing to the contrary, but they don't actually believe that you have anything to contribute besides money to their tinkering hobbies. What has to happen for you to actually open your eyes and see that you’re being taken advantage of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cracker Jacker said:
mali said:
^ You feel addressed by my post :huh: ? I'm sorry, I meant someone else, please continue contributing, no harm intended :)
Not particularly, but the subject of your post is irrelevant. I have yet to see anybody on this board express attributes of mental retardation. Ignorance, blind faith and emotional blather on the other hand are all together too common. I am wondering why this is so. Is it the failure of our educational systems? Maybe, but I would think that problem would have effects more widespread than this forum. Is it investors’ remorse? I think this may be closer to the truth. People often feel the need to justify a bad investment. It's absolutely astounding what feelings can motivate someone to do/ignore.

I do understand your point on 'emotional blather', some people here are, in fact, as touchy as PS360 fanboys. Ignorance is a problem with a few, particularly those like you, but blind faith, however, does not exist here. Can't you see why they put faith in Craig and the team? Because they have a reason, that being, OP is working on problems that crop up, they give us updates and include in their solutions. We trust them because there's a reason.
And I wouldn't call it a bad investment at all, if it were considered one, many, many companies would simply not exist, because initially they all appear to be poor places to put your money. With a project of this size, a few problems, again, are to be expected, handled, and passed over.

Cracker Jacker said:
mali said:
I've been watching the scene very long by now and most of the members of this community really believe in the product. I wouldn't call it blind faith, as we have strong critical voices here, too.
I don't doubt the veracity of yours and other member’s belief in the product, or in the team developing it. On the contrary, it is grossly apparent that you would all wait indefinitely for the manifestation of that product. I say it is blind, because you ignore the obvious lack of transparency between the developers and the investors. You let them miss deadline after deadline after deadline without repudiation. You are all so focused on how great it's going to be if it ever gets here, that your oblivious to the fact that the dev's don't actually consider themselves accountable to you the investors. They make a good showing to the contrary, but they don't actually believe that you have anything to contribute besides money to their tinkering hobbies. What has to happen for you to actually open your eyes and see that you’re being taken advantage of?
The reason for missing deadline after deadline, as you put it, is simply because this is a small team that's never done this before, but is obviously accomplishing it, thus patience is required. You, however, have made it apparent that you know nothing of this project, seeing as you believe the developers don't think themselves accountable; it's quite the opposite, really, and the community helps prove it time and again.
And we're not just paying for their hobbies, we're contributing towards the progress of open source technology, in return, we make a difference (technology wise) and will receive a useful little device.
Also, you repeatedly show your ignorance in mentioning a lack of transparency; we can see right through to what the team is doing, they provide us regular updates about the status of the project, and what's going on, etc. That's more than Nintonysoft will ever do.

Cracker Jacker said:

I think you misinterpret the situation. I don't know how long you have been around here. Most of the people in this community are rather rational and targeted. As long as the Pandora console is supposed to be what they want, they'll stick to it, and if they think something else might be more interesting, they'll just leave. Maybe you've gathered your info elsewhere, but it really doesn't represent reality.

@mali: Have you pointed out to CrackerTroll that you don't even have an order yet? I don't see how you can be an example of "blind faith," given that. :)

Jourdy288 said:
And we're not just paying for their hobbies, we're contributing towards the progress of open source technology, in return, we make a difference (technology wise) and will receive a useful little device.
This is getting closer to the point. You are 'not' contributing towards the progress of open source tech, because you’re not being allowed too. There is nothing open about the Pandora tech what so ever. You don't have access to the schematics or the board diagrams. You don't have access to the .dxf files. You’re not allowed to participate in the actual meat of the hardware development. Sure, the OS is open source, but it is Linux and that existed long before the Pandora was even conceived. The apps are open source, but once again most of those are ports of code that predate the Pandora. Once a door is opened, it's near impossible to close, but the hardware door has never been opened, and your asssed out in the cold.

It's my belief that if the Pandora were actually developed openly, you would all have one already. That is not what is happening though. The Pandora is being created under the classic closed hardware development model. The only unique part of their strategy is where they got their funding.

mali said:
The discussion ends here.
Bummer, I thought I saw those eyelids moving for a second. I guess he didn’t like what he was seeing.

It might be quite nice to stick Propellerheads Reason on this thing. I would find that useful. But gaming? Ho ho ho.

Cracker Jacker said:
Jourdy288 said:
This is getting closer to the point. You are 'not' contributing towards the progress of open source tech, because you’re not being allowed too. There is nothing open about the Pandora tech what so ever. You don't have access to the schematics or the board diagrams. You don't have access to the .dxf files. You’re not allowed to participate in the actual meat of the hardware development. Sure, the OS is open source, but it is Linux and that existed long before the Pandora was even conceived. The apps are open source, but once again most of those are ports of code that predate the Pandora. Once a door is opened, it's near impossible to close, but the hardware door has never been opened, and your asssed out in the cold.

It's my belief that if the Pandora were actually developed openly, you would all have one already. That is not what is happening though. The Pandora is being created under the classic closed hardware development model. The only unique part of their strategy is where they got their funding.
I'm afraid you're mistaken. We don't have access to the schematics in order to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands (read: bootleggers). And in case you haven't noticed, there's been lot's of community input on the hardware, even recently. You just weren't around for it. Plus, on the Nintonysoft official forums, you're not even allowed to talk about LED modding, let alone potentially converting the devices the sell into something different.

So, unless you know what you're talking about, shut up. I'd be grateful for it. It's been fun provoking you!

Why are you all arguing about this with someone who admitted to being a troll?

Exophase said:

My guess is just because it helps pass the time.

request to close the topic or to be moved to memorable troll topics. (off topic)

XD, i thought i would never see mali get mad, always so neutral

Exophase said:
It's pretty fun, sorta like when you hit the arc of a swing, weigh nothing, and jump off.
Don't try that. It hurts, since you're falling into nothing.

@DroneB Dev
Posting from my n800 already in bed. Mad? I'm easy as Sunday morning :D
Sometimes it's best not to believe what you read ;)

Jourdy288 said:
We don't have access to the schematics in order to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands (read: bootleggers).
It's a game console, not a nuclear weapon. If it was really "Open Source", there would'nt be any wrong hands.(read "Linux" and "Open Source")

Anybody could freely and openly contribute to it's creation. It would belong to everybody.

To me, the most important thing is that the Pandora gets made. I don't care if it's made by Craig and Ed or thousand pimply faced geeks living their mothers basement, just as long as it gets made.

Jourdy288 said:
And in case you haven't noticed, there's been lot's of community input on the hardware, even recently. You just weren't around for it.

I noticed a bunch of people ruminating on what they think might be the problem, but I don't know how much of a contribution that actually makes to the end result. Some of those people might actually be able to solve the problem given a decent chance and access to all the pertinent information.

Jourdy288 said:
Plus, on the Nintonysoft official forums, you're not even allowed to talk about LED modding, let alone potentially converting the devices the sell into something different.

Who are they, and what on earth do they have to do with the Pandora? (google gives zero)

mali said:
@droneb Dev

well, maybe not mad, but a bit annoyed, something i never sense in your posts.

lets all forget about this topic and never come back, maybe gerald just got a new nick as CJ.

i bet OP mods/staff is way too busy to deal with this.

DroneB Dev said:
mali said:
@droneb Dev

well, maybe not mad, but a bit annoyed, something i never sense in your posts.

lets all forget about this topic and never come back, maybe gerald just got a new nick as CJ.

i bet OP mods/staff is way too busy to deal with this.
I'm not even annoyed, I'm thankful for trolls to train this community and I'm glad that the staff is relaxed and doesn't ban immediately. Ok, this one is rather weak and I wouldn't miss him, though :D

edit: Maybe we should post a howto regarding trolls. It's so much easier to handle them now. Half a year ago it was much harder. This community is just awesome :)

Exophase said:
I am supprised at you Exo. By your own arguemnts, ones troll status should be determinded by their 'intent' not their 'content'.

Cracker Jacker said:
I am supprised at you Exo. By your own arguemnts, ones troll status should be determinded by their 'intent' not their 'content'.

That's what you think this is about? I think you're a little lost. Or maybe to put it another way, you've already declared your intentions.

You said you were trolling people with the line of attack you pushed before, and now are resuming more or less the exact same attack (only mildly toned down). Trolling isn't exaggerating, it's being completely full of shit. Or do you want to take back your admission? Why should anyone think you were trolling then but now are suddenly being serious about it? Can't have it both ways dude.

It's like I said, everything you post here is all talk and no substance. You're nothing but petty argument tactics.

Exophase said:
Or maybe to put it another way, you've already declared your intentions.
Perhaps, but not directly as I was previously not entirerly certain of my intentions and thusly what approach I should take to acheive my goals.

I don't really have a problem with recanting my admission to being a troll. Your arguments convinced me that I am not a troll but rather a frustrated patron of this board seeking to enlighten others with the truth.

Why should anyone think you were trolling then but now are suddenly being serious about it? Can't have it both ways dude.
Don't want it both ways. I'm still not sure what approach to take to open these peoples eyes though. Their clearly enchanted with a lie.

Back