This Time Next Year What Will The Gp Have?

Mark

Boris Johnson: Cuddly Conservative
Website
www.gp-magazine.org.uk
Hopefully, we'll have the obvouis full speed SNES and GEN emu's, and maybe a glimse of the GBA emulator running commercial stuff.

And hopefully some 3D engines:)

You?

I seriously doubt I'll have either a Gp32 or Z this time next year. Maybe a PSP or DS.

Seems like the GBA emu has almost come to a complete standstill. He wants other developers to help him, but doesn't seem to be attracting many.

I found the gp scene about a year ago, and since then full speed nes has been achieved. A few people said that snes couldn't be done. Now it is. Gba emulation certainly couldn't be done. Now that's a possibility.

By next year at least Rlyeh will have finished all his projects as that's his target this year. And I'm expecting osnes9x to be finished. And thunderz might have finished his neo geo pocket emulator (pls pls pls :D). Maybe black might add save states, a tiny boost in speed for 100% emulation with a couple of bug fixes in games like street fighter in gpengine. At least the RF version I think though could be released.

GP32iDE will be 100% complete with most coders using that as to code on.

Chatboards will have properly taken off.

Most emulators that can use it will have options to use the 32mb memory mod.

GP32 linux will be well useable with lots of programs available.

The usb port will be experimented with quite a bit.

EvilDragon will have cut his hair.

Gamepark will actually, for the 83rd time announce that the european release has been delayed for a few days.

Lots more homebrew naitive games and ports.

Well that's a small prediction :D.

snes & genesis fullspeed with sound support (maybe still have to put a frameskip =1 or 2)

amiga or dosbox would be really cool but I dont that will happen (or that will be with a good team@work)

a 3d engine capable or ridgeracer type games
a full features RPG engine (in other words : Giga in final state [with games available for it])

gba will rocks thanks to enf65 :D (and even better with the 32M mod)

linux will allow to run apps

see you :lol:

I think we'll see a completion of snes and genesis and neo geo pocket.

then as part of gbax2005 a super troop of coders will come together and as one final effort create GBA emulation!

all gp32s around the world will then explode due to the secret chips that gamepark has placed inside them to ensure their legendary status!

Nah, the BBC wasn't ARM based - it's successor the Archimedes was ARM based - in fact, it was the first ARM computer available... ARM originally stood for Acorn RISC Machine, but I think it was changed to Advanced RISC Machine for some reason...

However though - the BBC was 6502 based, which is the same as the Lynx and the C64 - and fDave already has a partially working BBC emulator - it plays Repton 2! Maybe we need to encourage him to finish it...

As Dozer said, in one year we've had full SNES, NES and Genesis projects from three different authors (counting GigaDrive) as well as vast improvements to GPDoom, KOF, Gigas, the Yeti 3D engine... etc.

If the Europe launch actually goes ahead I can see more developers jumping on board and working, but else I fear the current devs will lose enthusiasm, like Squidge says, and in one year the GP will have a painful and hilarious death.

Aside from GBA, there aren't many new frontiers to work on for GP32... Quake maybe?

I don't think chatboards will be commonly used, either. Just doesn't seem neccessary for me and I think a lot of other people won't bother with them.

I'm with rico on the chatboards.

i think a euro release will eventually happen and the people that are attracted to the gp32 will be similar to myself with an interest in snes, megadrive, gba etc but not for the atari et al that utilised a keyboard.

without any form of demand they won't get any cheaper which will just mean even less people are interested.

rico's logo - very funny!

I think the GP32 has peaked. Don't get me wrong, I love the little bugger but.. I think that last year's craziness of productivity won't be even halfway matched this year. That being said, I expect we'll see "better" Snes + Genesis (never perfect, but close enough for those who care!) and a couple other interesting things hopefully. Unfortunately I have to say I give up on seeing a decent-satisfying Mame port, beyond the tech-demo stuff we've got now.. which is a shame.. but who am I to say!

Anyway, it's been a blast, and there's some juice left in it yet. I'll probably trade up for some "next-generation handheld" in a couple of years (esp. if Zodiac drops to a ridiculous low price and it gets extremely, markedly better than the GP32) but - like I said, it's gonna be a long time before I'd have much interest in that. GP32 already does pretty much all I could want it to do, plus tons more I haven't even messed with yet.

Sorry but i would have to aggree that chatboard are cheep.

I would like to see

1. GTA CLONE
2. openTTD Port
3. Frontier FIrst encounters. which will probbably need chatboard to fully work

openttd and frontier both have source code. openttd uses sdl but the menus appear off screen if put in 320x240. Frontier works at 320x200 anyhow and is in asm. I am raking a look into these and am thinking of doing the gta clone but start it on the pc in sdl and have 320x240 res possible then do a straight port or keep them together. if anyone wants to help then let me know.

Oh yeah, I forgot that possibily we will see some GP's actually dying out due to all the overclocking.

In 10 years when the forums are no more, we'll all look back and think how great the console was, and what a legend it is. And at this time, I'll most likely be releasing issue four:p

Back