Tiny Usb Micro Sd Card Reader

jlowe48

Still Fresh
This USB micro SD card reader looks like it will fit nearly flush in a USB port. Could be good for another 2x16GB of storage.

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25558

nice but these things are known for over heating. i've both the "worlds smallest" micro sd card readers from DX and both have died before 6 months is up. $5 for 6 months use isnt bad i guess, might get another sometime.

Why not use micro SD cards like this one ?
It is so small that you can swap them out and place the unused one in a tiny envelope that is taped right next to your LCD under the speaker.

I'm not sure, but my understanding is that the USB will draw more power than from the SD card. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

gibberish said:
nice but these things are known for over heating. i've both the "worlds smallest" micro sd card readers from DX and both have died before 6 months is up. $5 for 6 months use isnt bad i guess, might get another sometime.

Glad someone has some experience with these. I assume the heat comes from the adapter, not the microSD card. Excess heat is not a good sign regarding power consumption either.

Last edited by a moderator:
When are you honestly going to need 96 GB of storage without switching SD cards? Powering any USB device will result in a significant decrease in battery life. You're better off just carrying extra SD cards and switching them.

gibberish said:

All those micro readers from DX really heat up a lot indeed.

I want first to see some real life benchmarking on the speed you actually need for the SD card's.
A nice big but slow card will do just fine IMHO for stuff like MP3 and rom's.
Old class2 Sandisk 16GB SD are going for only like 25 euro on ebay

Polossatik said:
gibberish said:

All those micro readers from DX really heat up a lot indeed.

I want first to see some real life benchmarking on the speed you actually need for the SD card's.
A nice big but slow card will do just fine IMHO for stuff like MP3 and rom's.
Don't buy flash memory on ebay.

rabidpoobear said:
+1
newegg.com is pretty good. Or amazon.

- trix

EDIT: Removed nested quotes

trix said:
rabidpoobear said:
+1
newegg.com is pretty good. Or amazon.
Amazon'd probably be better for him, since Newegg is US and he was talking about euros. Amazon has localized stores but Newegg is just U.S. as far as I know (unless you want to pay a bunch for int'l shipping.)

Polossatik said:
Just to echo what the others said, and provide some essential reading on the topic: http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/

~95% or more of flash memory sold on eBay is believed to be fake, much as it was and is with GBA and DS games there as well.

Go with Play.com or Amazon.

I don't see anywhere if it is High-Speed... probably not, so probably not something the Pandora can use directly.

henrys.com is the only place that still sells 8Gb sd plus usb cards, which were the greatest thing ever until sandisk discontinued the line 2 years ago. if you don't know what i'm talking about, i feel sorry for you

ample said:
henrys.com is the only place that still sells 8Gb sd plus usb cards, which were the greatest thing ever until sandisk discontinued the line 2 years ago. if you don't know what i'm talking about, i feel sorry for you
I feel sorry for you having to feel sorry for some many people.

kuru said:
ample said:
I feel sorry for you having to feel sorry for some many people.
That fact that he thinks such a silly little this is important, to the point that everyone should know it, makes me feel sorry for him.

BackAssward said:
I don't see anywhere if it is High-Speed... probably not, so probably not something the Pandora can use directly.
I assume you mean USB 2.0 It's printed top right and reviewer claims "My Sandisk gives me Write speeds of upto 13 MBPS and Read speeds of upto 20MBPS, using this card reader"
sku_25558_1.jpg

Nation.A.List said:
I assume you mean USB 2.0 It's printed top right and reviewer claims "My Sandisk gives me Write speeds of upto 13 MBPS and Read speeds of upto 20MBPS, using this card reader"
sku_25558_1.jpg
It also says "/1.1"
Keep in mind that a lot of things say they're USB2.0 when the reality is they are 1.1 and rely on the system to be backwards compatible.

Nation.A.List said:
BackAssward said:
If it doesn't have the high-speed logo, it's usually not. I can't know for sure on this device, hence why I said "probably not". Perhaps I should have said "maybe not".
usb2logo.jpg

Edit: I was bored so I did some looking... on their site it says "采用高速USB2.0接口" which the web translator indicate means "high-speed USB2.0 interface". So it might be... if it were, not sure why not use the logo. Also, I'm not sure if that means high speed or "high-speed"...

Edit2: I forgot that most SD-to-USB adapters are simply pass through devices since SD cards have a pin for USB. In fact I have an SD card with a USB adapter built in on the back end. So the question is... are SD cards themselves High-Speed USB2? Since this plug just looks like a component-less pass through device.

Back