Torrents

bennyboy said:
How about the legality of certain Russian online music stores? Due to the lax laws in Russia, I think they are legal (over there) and they sell music for ridiculously low prices.
From what I remember, they aren't really legal outside of Russia though. I like to tell myself it's all legal and I'm okay because I pay, but I'm not so sure..
Record companies have tried (and failed) to shut these places down before. Some credit card companies now deny their services to them. As for their legality - were the business running here, it would certainly be illegal. As far as I'm aware, there is no legal precedent for action against consumers of MP3s from Russian firms; only the firms themselves. You are safe for now.

What happens in Russia is this: the music providers pay a lump sum to the copyright body in Russia. This licenses them to distribute any music they wish with a small royalty which is taken by the copyright organisation and can then be claimed by the artist (supposedly). The record companies dislike this because it either takes them out of the picture or reduces the amount of money they make on each sale. Some artists have reported being unable to claim their royalties from the copyright organisation, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
klikklak said:
Because when culture and science is accessible to all it creates wealth without money? Then the same people who had to pay through the nose for a few paltry songs on a cd can buy other things with that money and have more money to go around. Yes, I believe in utopian societies, even if that isn't a popular thing to say. I don't think people make things (and especially music) for the money, they do it because they've been inspired by good music, they have free time and because they like of it. Some people will still be able to make a living out of it. Your argument is as invalid as complaining about scribes losing their jobs because of the printing press. It is _not_ shoplifting because there is no loss, you can copy a digital thing without losing the original. You make it sound like you're morally superior because you had _guilt_ while downloading, how christian is that? Societies and economies change, deal with it.
I don't claim moral superiority, i'm simply saying that it is one thing too download songs for a period of time, recognize that this is not a great thing too do and stop when you have the means. It is another thing too say that you are entitled too download all the music you want for free and that it is on no level wrong. Many people I know have 100% illegally downloaded music library's and I don't judge them for it because they don't make up bullshit excuses about how information should be free, they just say that they don't have money, other people do have money, the artists are rich already and if they weren't getting the songs illegally they wouldn't be getting them at all. I'm not sure why your arguing that its not like shoplifting since what I said is "while its not the same as shoplifting..." and i'm also confused as too how my argument is like someone complaining about a scribe losing there job to a printing press. That complaint comes from people who don't want people too lose there jobs in the name of efficiency and profit, which is not at all relevant too downloading mp3's unless you think that somehow if everyone illegally downloaded music it would end up increasing the quality of music and increase profits for the music industry. Musicians do love too make music and they do want people too hear it but many would not put in all the extra effort over simply jamming with there buddy's if they were not going too get paid. Again, it doesn't make you a bad person too download music but you are not entitled too it, it isn't the most honest thing too do and those who can afford to pay for at least the songs that they really enjoy should do so.

klikklak said:
You make it sound like you're morally superior because you had _guilt_ while downloading, how christian is that? Societies and economies change, deal with it.
you know, if I said that, I'd have been given an instant 48hr ban.

jakshep2 said:
klikklak said:
You make it sound like you're morally superior because you had _guilt_ while downloading, how christian is that? Societies and economies change, deal with it.
you know, if I said that, I'd have been given an instant 48hr ban.

Maybe it's more about how than what.

You guys make me laugh so hard, getting all self-righteous about the evil sins of illegally downloading music.

Next you're going to tell me that you ONLY use your GP2X (or upcoming Pandora) for homebrew games.

Yes, downloading stuff illegally is not something that you want to loudly proclaim that you do, but don't come on here and try to condemn someone for piracy (especially when I'm sure you do it yourself privately). I think it's best if we just don't discuss the issue at all.

morrissey2k7 said:
You guys make me laugh so hard, getting all self-righteous about the evil sins of illegally downloading music.

Next you're going to tell me that you ONLY use your GP2X (or upcoming Pandora) for homebrew games.

Yes, downloading stuff illegally is not something that you want to loudly proclaim that you do, but don't come on here and try to condemn someone for piracy (especially when I'm sure you do it yourself privately). I think it's best if we just don't discuss the issue at all.
whatever you say, condescendin' directa!

I have begun to try out rapidshare thanks to the help of naw mcx and the excellent links he has provided. I must say, this is a bajillion times better than torrents once you get the right links to help you off the ground. I also like that the wait time is so much less than with a torrent. I may even buy a premium account.

No more torrents! :D

A nice site I just started using to try out new music is seeqpod.com. Really nice site. If you have an iphone or ipod touch, it has its own dedicated web app that PWNS all other handheld music site.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
I have begun to try out rapidshare thanks to the help of naw mcx and the excellent links he has provided. I must say, this is a bajillion times better than torrents once you get the right links to help you off the ground. I also like that the wait time is so much less than with a torrent. I may even buy a premium account.

HA! Paying to download something that's illegal is worse than not paying at all!

steal_this_comic.png

daclassicgamingmaster said:

in what way is rapidshare superior to torrents?
especially with a seedbox.
the only thing that will get you in trouble on a public or semi public tracker are leaks, just dropped scene releases, etc. you can just get those at a private tracker.
usenet (esp. giganews) or a file upload indexing service may be an all in one solution, but if you know where to look for torrents, you can almost as good a selection, but with better quality. (and if that fails, theres always irc)

I have had torrents drop out at 99.7% because noone in the group has the last 0.03% On a large file that can be very annoying.. with Rapidshare - even on multi-part RAR files - you're guaranteed a successful download. Downside to Rapidshare is if the RAR files are password protected - so makes using an RS search site somewhat limited (e.g. Rapidlinks, RapidLibrary etc..)

lizard808uk said:
I have had torrents drop out at 99.7% because noone in the group has the last 0.03% On a large file that can be very annoying.. with Rapidshare - even on multi-part RAR files - you're guaranteed a successful download. Downside to Rapidshare is if the RAR files are password protected - so makes using an RS search site somewhat limited (e.g. Rapidlinks, RapidLibrary etc..)
then you've been getting torrents from the wrong places

gp32rich said:
If you were that bothered about downloading illegally, you'd find one of the many internet radio sites that will play stuff to you legally.
If you want to record those streams then that is illegal and your choice, but the downloading and listening of them is licenced and legal.

It is completely legal to capture legally-streamed internet radio channels in the USofA.
The Sony Betamax case put that one to rest.
Fair use includes making a copy of content which legally enters your home, over the airwaves or internet.
This is the "analog hole" which the HDMI HDTV people are trying to plug, unsuccessfully, to date.

j.pickens said:
gp32rich said:
If you were that bothered about downloading illegally, you'd find one of the many internet radio sites that will play stuff to you legally.
If you want to record those streams then that is illegal and your choice, but the downloading and listening of them is licenced and legal.

It is completely legal to capture legally-streamed internet radio channels in the USofA.
Fair use includes making a copy of content which legally enters your home, over the airwaves or internet.
This is the "analog hole" which the HDMI HDTV people are trying to plug, unsuccessfully, to date.I didn't realize that. Thanks for clearing it up.

Maybe I should read the T&Cs more closely ;)

j.pickens said:
gp32rich said:

This is the "analog hole" which the HDMI HDTV people are trying to plug, unsuccessfully, to date.

I remember recording FM radio and TV to tapes when I was a kid. I don't think this was considered illegal. So let us say I listen to shoutcast internetradio and want to record the stream, is it OK?

Back