Tower Defence 2x

Very nice game, but indeed when there are lots of baddies crawling over the screen it becomes slow. The flash game has the same problem, I guess a lot of calculating going on..

Great news! I was able to cross compile TD2X to Windows, tower.exe is now included in tar.gz and zip. I'm going on holiday tomorrow so expect no updates next week. :(

Great game. Love it. :)
The Windows port doesn't seem to work correctly, though.. My towers aren't shooting at the enemies? :/

Also, here's an icon I 'made' using my trusty printscreen button:
Clickety!

Is there any chance you can make the towers more accurate? It seams that on anything but the most strait on placement the bullets (or whatever) only hit 1 in 5 times.

But other than that great work. :)

Hehe, I had a newbish bug in the accuracy part. I didn't see it before :p

The objects vector is now organized so the game should be now a bit faster :)

Jackd posted on Feb 14 2007 at 10:21 PM said:
purple_goat posted on Feb 14 2007 at 10:03 PM said:
AcidiC posted on Feb 14 2007 at 09:51 PM said:
Looks great! Will try it out soon.
I hope this doesn't discourage Alex as his looks great; and different types of tower defense add challenge :)
(to anyone whom it may concern: I'm very sorry :lol: )
tEh w00t0xrs !one.eleven1iThiS Gonnotherz r0xt[o0]rs.s teh big onez off the muthafuckan -<ccchchchhcainZ>-!!!! HoMEBReW
warzznsazaz! :ph34r: Why can't they just work together? Alex can do the sound and fix it up, that would be tight I don't want any conflict that can be avoided.. (see: main-stream gaming scene [not interested], warez gaming scene[not interested, etc. :unsure: )
o....k....
that's the point..

Alex. posted on Feb 15 2007 at 09:37 AM said:
Well, good job on the release, unfortunately I cannot properly extract tar.gz files, could anyone upload a .zip somewhere? Thanks!

I have a feeling though that the two games will be distinct enough to coexist nicely :) They will have a different feel, mine will be abstarct while yours with traditional graphic sprites. Also all the action on mine will take place on the screen, no scrolling, and from the looks of the screenshot yours has scrolling.

- Alex
the master has spoken I see..

Last edited by a moderator:
nice game... if you want i can improve the graphic A LOT doing some prerenderized 3d monster and a new tileset in my spare time, contact me at eclipse(at)akom3d.com

Wow, this is awesome! I look forward to seeing more levels in the future :)

Maybe I just suck at the game, but it seems to get very hard once enemies start moving too fast for the turrets to keep up with them... once they get fast enough that the ice turrets can't track them, I'm pretty much doomed. One idea I'd like to suggest is the ability to make turrets directional... like instead of firing at anyone within a radius of the turret, restrict their targetting to maybe a 20 degree arc. This could add a nice bit of strategy, as you could trade off between range and field of view. This would also let me direct their fire so they wouldn't waste shots firing at things that have already passed them which they'll surely miss.

--Zero

Jontte posted on Feb 17 2007 at 01:14 AM said:
Fixed, sorry about that. ;)

Nice icon, shall I include it with the game? :)
Sure, why not..? :)

Looking forwards to the next release of this great game.. :)

Sry if this has already been suggested, but i think a scrap function would really help in this game, like if you could delete a turrent and gat like half of the money back or something (since most stuff becomes usless after a few rounds) and definatly stronger turrents, cause when the enemies reach like 128000 nothing can stop them, but other than that, awsome game, thanks!

I downloaded and played the previous version, and it was very fun. I wish I could download the new one with fixed accuracy, but I'm at a sticky public library computer :p

Anywho the most obvious speed fix would be to only draw the objects that collide with the camera rectangle (physical screen) - I moved around the map when there were lots of units on, and the speed remained slow regardless of whether there were any units visible or not. I'd say switch to hardware surfaces for an extra boost of speed, but those have an occasional flicker and I gave them up for the time being myself.

- Alex

Really fun game good job!! :)

Looking forward to more updates.

Alex. posted on Feb 19 2007 at 03:54 PM said:
I downloaded and played the previous version, and it was very fun. I wish I could download the new one with fixed accuracy, but I'm at a sticky public library computer :p

Anywho the most obvious speed fix would be to only draw the objects that collide with the camera rectangle (physical screen) - I moved around the map when there were lots of units on, and the speed remained slow regardless of whether there were any units visible or not. I'd say switch to hardware surfaces for an extra boost of speed, but those have an occasional flicker and I gave them up for the time being myself.

- Alex

Did you also flag in double buffering?
SDL_SetVideoMode(SCREEN_WIDTH,SCREEN_HEIGHT,SCREEN_BPP,SDL_HWSURFACE | SDL_DOUBLEBUF); it removed the flickers for me. :)

Uprising posted on Feb 19 2007 at 11:06 AM said:
Did you also flag in double buffering?
SDL_SetVideoMode(SCREEN_WIDTH,SCREEN_HEIGHT,SCREEN_BPP,SDL_HWSURFACE | SDL_DOUBLEBUF); it removed the flickers for me. :)
Yes, it's not that kind of flicker, but rather parts of the screen being flashed at random locations for a split second every 20 seconds. I used the wrong word "flicker", my bad. All games that use HW surfaces suffer from this, mine including. :(

- Alex

Yeah I get that aswell, thought it was just something wrong with my code. It dosnt seem to happen that much though seems more frequent if i underclock it. It is like its displaying the previous frame that was drawn.

That's too bad really, hardware surfaces really give a nice boost of speed :(

- Alex

Its sad, seems to be impossible to get over the stage where they have 512k hp, all space is filled with towers and i tried different approaches, did anyone manage more?

awesome game. i've been playing a lot of it lately. I still find that the towers are poor at aiming. it seems like when they release a round, it is aimed at the location of the enemy during the release (so by the time the round gets to the enemy, it has moved). Is this by design? If so, it makes it difficult to hit enemies from areas that are perpendicular to the enemies pathways.

Another thing I'm wondering is do the towers shoot enemies that are adjacent to them? I have had situations where an enemy has passed by a stereo tower and there is no change in its damage.

Back