Translators For German Post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atomicthumbs, loving the bunnies, there's too little of them on these forums :p

I still believe I'll have my pandora before christmas :) Some call me deluded, but I like it in the Matrix ;)

EDIT: Typo

atomicthumbs said:
2231780689_6d930f4fe1.jpg
Damn you. :wub:

Attachments

• 2231780689_6d930f4fe1.jpg
    2231780689_6d930f4fe1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:
emil10001 said:
B-ZaR said:
Some call me deluded, but I like it in the Matrix ;)

I'm sorry, but that just sounds dirty.
How is that dirty? I don't see it, do you picture digital prostitutes or something of that nature?

second exodous said:
emil10001 said:
B-ZaR said:
Some call me deluded, but I like it in the Matrix ;)

I'm sorry, but that just sounds dirty.
How is that dirty? I don't see it, do you picture digital prostitutes or something of that nature?
Try substituting the word "Matrix" for the word "pooper".

I have no clue about this process, should ask someone.. But how could they ship direct from Texas to US folks? Presumably to someone for flashing, testing and packaging, etc. Manufacturers don't wantcustomer addresses and shipping details, etc, so I doubt that..

But I should know better, sorry :(

jeff

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes,
They've got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses.
And what's with all the carrots-?
What do they need such good eyesight for anywa - y?
Bunnies, bunnies it must be bunnies!

Tuxedomask29 said:
Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes,
They've got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses.
And what's with all the carrots-?
What do they need such good eyesight for anywa - y?
Bunnies, bunnies it must be bunnies!

Here are some piglets to compensate for all the bunnies

swim_piggy_swim_.jpg

and some cows

swim_cow_swim_.jpg

Attachments

• swim_cow_swim_.jpg
    swim_cow_swim_.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 57
  • swim_piggy_swim_.jpg
    swim_piggy_swim_.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 54
Wow, "Off topic" seems not to be a problem here in the english boards, try this at our german boards! :lol:

Well, back 2 topic (somehow), the new (possible) Delay is again very annoying. I believe this chinese Company was the completely wrong decission. I made some quick (german) google search for injection-moulding and small series and I found many pages that can do this within 2 Days and with the complete worry-free package including prototyping, Design-suggestions/correction and all the stuff after this. Starting with around 1500 Euro for a mould (example price of course) and you can be sure, that the shipping from germany is sureley faster than the shipping from China. :)
http://www.gwp-ag.com/en/services/series-production/plastic-processing/plastic-injection/index.html
http://www.protomold.co.uk/
I know nobody can really tell, how much more expencive (or cheaper) this would be and I know it's far to late...but I really would like to know it. :D

fusion_power said:
I know nobody can really tell, how much more expencive (or cheaper) this would be and I know it's far to late...but I really would like to know it. :D

craigix said:
We did look at making these in the UK/USA but the price was insane. Like close to a million dollars.
craigix said:
It's costing something approaching $100k in China.

Neko said:
fusion_power said:

craigix said:
We did look at making these in the UK/USA but the price was insane. Like close to a million dollars.
craigix said:
An on these one Site they offered a complicated mould for $5000 (example price) or so, lets guess, the Pandora needs 10 Moulds we still UNDER $100k. ;)

fusion_power said:
Neko said:
fusion_power said:

craigix said:
craigix said:
An on these one Site they offered a complicated mould for $5000 (example price) or so, lets guess, the Pandora needs 10 Moulds we still UNDER $100k. ;)
But after you have the molds you need to factor in the labor of casting, the material, and shipping them out. I do agree if the molds are that cheap on the next systems they make if they make any they should look into doing somewhere where they have a team member living. I bet if one of them lived in China and could talk to the guys at the factory and actually handle the test casts it would move along faster.

fusion_power said:
Wow, "Off topic" seems not to be a problem here in the english boards, try this at our german boards! :lol:

Well, back 2 topic (somehow), the new (possible) Delay is again very annoying. I believe this chinese Company was the completely wrong decission. I made some quick (german) google search for injection-moulding and small series and I found many pages that can do this within 2 Days and with the complete worry-free package including prototyping, Design-suggestions/correction and all the stuff after this. Starting with around 1500 Euro for a mould (example price of course) and you can be sure, that the shipping from germany is sureley faster than the shipping from China. :)
http://www.gwp-ag.com/en/services/series-production/plastic-processing/plastic-injection/index.html
http://www.protomold.co.uk/

I'm an engineer and have worked quite a bit with the US arm of Protomold. It's a good company and they do quality work very quickly. The biggest problem with using a company like Protomold for production runs is that they specialize in, and in fact only work with, aluminum molds (pardon my American spelling). Aluminum is much easier to work with than steel which allows them to machine the molds much more quickly. Unfortunately, it also wears a lot faster so the part quality will begin to degrade after several thousand parts. In this case each "batch" or two of Pandoras might require a new mold to be made at OP's expense.

Counting parts (and I've likely missed some) I get at least 17 molded parts:
Screen bezel sides 1 and 2
Bottom sides 1 and 2
4 buttons (ABYX)
2 Shoulder Buttons (L/R)
Battery Cover
Stylus
Power/Hold Slider
D-Pad
Mic Channel thingy
2 Light pipes

Looking at pictures it looks like most of these parts could be single pull molds which makes them much cheaper and some of them might be suitable for multi-cavity molds--to either speed up production and make more parts with each press or else to make multiple parts in one press. The pictures from the Chinese company show that they made the ABYX buttons and D-pad in a single mold. Multi-cavity molds often reduce costs since fewer, but more complicated molds need to be made and there is less operator time required to setup/take down each mold and run the parts. The 17+ parts might be able to cut down to ten molds so I'd give a ballpark of $30k-$40k for molds + $4-$5/part (prototype parts are expensive, steel molds would likely have part cost <$1/part). Keep in mind that after 10k or so parts new molds will have to be cut.

Also, the hinge in the keyboard section of the device may not be something that Protomold would make. It appears as though side action cams would be required to create the holes. Side actions from the outside in are no problem, but these ones have to move from the inside out and I've never seen Protomold do that.

Just to reiterate, I don't work for a molding company, just with them, and this is most certainly not a quote, just a guess because I was curious in added it up and thought I would share.

I said it in another thread and some tried to dismiss it, but it does seem that the main delay came from the redesign of the IControlPad. To save money it would only have made sense to have these made concurrently at the same time with the same manufacturer. Now it seems that since it's all in the molding phase we now have issues with some of the parts being shaped correctly, this can happen. But these issues should have been found out 6 months ago when the Pandora molds should have gone into production. We should not have had to wait for the IControlPad. That is a potentially lucrative device as well, but it's evolution has undoubtedly caused the Pandora delays. As I said, from a development and cost standpoint, this makes total sense to do. However, as a customer of the Pandora, it is not right to have the delays due to a side project. That is just plain wrong. Unless it's explained to me how they got the new design for the IControlPad made right at the exact same time they got some of the parts for the Pandora (some of which were not correct) I have no choice but to believe this is the situation.

So now we might not even get our Pandora's in 2009. Nice. That means I have to quit. I want this device more than I can say, but seeing as how (once again) it looked to close to not have it sometime in December, I promised my wife one more delay and I would cancel. The longer this goes on the more she fears losing the money.

So as long as the Pandora's are shipped form the Texas place to the US customers (never verified) so there is no further wait time and no import fees, then I may be able to stretch it out a week or two. It's just nearly impossible to get a solid answer to any question. That alone is the biggest point of concern for me, deadlines are guesses for anyone, the rest of the questions can be answered yet still are not. I guess it's time to send an email to ask, I want a couple of solid answers or I'm gone. Delivery date is not one of them. Where it's shipping from (for certain), why no one knows about the soft case (I didn't order one) or the Power supply (which is supposed to come, but no word if they even know what they are getting or if there will be a delay for that, are they at the factory already? Shipping later?) It's impossible for them to give exact information about things "Not In Their Control" but why aren't the things "In Their Control" being answered!??

I just hope this is over soon and we all have Pandora's in our hands and can forget this nightmare (Don't care what anyone says, this is NOT fun, it's a nightmare) The problem is we are all tech-fans who are holding out hope due to our knowledge of just how fun this will be, but there does come a point where the torture can overshadow the promise. The torture for me is the vague, ambiguous statements and general feeling of being strung along. Most of us are adults, we can handle the truth. If you don't have the adapters ordered, or soft cases made, just say so, tell us the plan. The fact this isn't being done makes me believe that the other device may cause more issues and they don't want to tell us the whole story or they might lose us.

Oh well, enough of my rant. Just the possibilities of more delays and the fact I may have to cancel is killing me!!
I'll just email OP and see what they say...probably won't make it back to the forums for awhile anyway...I need a week off.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back