Turning A Gp2X Wiz Into A Wearable Computer

Tristor

Still Fresh
I recently purchased a GP2X Wiz through Thinkgeek after realizing the Pandora has yet to be released and it is looking unlikely that I'll be able to acquire one any time soon. My plan is to build a wearable computer/game system out of it with the following goals:

8 hour run time (in use)
Single eye heads up display
Wireless stereo audio with microphone
500GB of storage for media and games
Wireless control with a game controller (later going to see about using an iGrips)
Wireless Internet connectivity

Currently my thoughts are that I will build a battery pack/belt system using rechargeable Lithium-Ion 5v regulated batteries connected in parallel to get roughly 250 watt hours (5v at 2A draw or 4x500ma USB devices), connected to the USB power connection on a GP2X Break Out Box, which is then connected to a hacked 4-port powered USB hub, with both housed inside a project box with an amplified USB Wi-Fi transceiver, a bluetooth receiver (for the headset and a Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard or AlphaGrips iGrips keyboard), an Xbox 360 Wireless receiver, and a 500GB 2.5" USB hard drive. I plan to run an external antenna from the Wi-Fi transceiver to a 13db gain omni rubber ducky mounted to my hat.

For the HUD, I'd be modifying a MyVu Crystal EV Personal Media Display to remove the audio functionality and reduce it to one screen on the right side, with the left side left clear. I've got a pair of ballistic goggles I'd build the HUD into (for stability), and I'd cover the left side of the goggles with Red Kite Eye Dominance tape (to force dominance to my right eye where the HUD is). Additionally, the stereo sound output and the microphone would both be provided wirelessly by a Motorola S9 bluetooth headset. I'm considering options for integrating USB power into the MyVu and the S9 via the battery pack to keep them continuously running. Control would be based around an Xbox 360 wireless controller and a Logitech DiNovo Edge wireless keyboard/trackpad, possibly using an AlphaGrips iGrips in the future (if they ever release the wireless version).

Obviously this will make me look ridiculous and geeky as fuck, but nonetheless I think it's a great idea and totally doable. I am definitely wishing to solicit comments, thoughts, suggestions, or any other helpful tips from the community. I'm not new to Linux or hacking hardware, but I am new to the Wiz and the ARM architecture, so I have a lot to learn. From what I understand there are already either built-in or ported and available drivers for USB mass storage and some USB wireless receivers. I'm not sure about the bluetooth receiver or the 360 receiver, but I figure that's doable, since they do have Linux support.

I'll definitely take some pictures. It'll be a long-term work in progress, though, so don't expect any news soon ;)

So where exactly are you going to be using this? Like you said before...its going to make you look pretty strange so public places may be awkward!Or is this more to just prove that you can do it and mabye give you some braging rights?

I walk everywhere. I planned to use it while walking around town, shopping, everywhere. Why not? I'm not particularly concerned about looking strange, as I already handily have that covered.

Since the Wiz currently doesn't have a solution for usb peripherals, your concept falls pretty short of doable as of now. Then it pretty much turns into wordplay with ideas like 'Amplified USB Wi-Fi transceiver'. It would be more practical do get an MP3-player for music, a dictaphone for on the road writing and a Virtual Boy for the gaming/stupidity-experience.

Yeah, the wiz as it is, isn't that suitable for this. I've thought about the Vuzix wrap 920 + nokia 5800XM + Zeemote + frogpad -combo. Or you could get a beagleboard.

Gnorf said:
Since the Wiz currently doesn't have a solution for usb peripherals, your concept falls pretty short of doable as of now. Then it pretty much turns into wordplay with ideas like 'Amplified USB Wi-Fi transceiver'. It would be more practical do get an MP3-player for music, a dictaphone for on the road writing and a Virtual Boy for the gaming/stupidity-experience.

My understanding is that the Wiz has native USB host support and can provide a powered USB port through a break out box from the EXT2 port on the bottom combined with a battery pack or 5V wall wart. Getting drivers for the related hardware is another story, but since all of it works in Linux on x86, I'd assume any drivers not readily available could be ported.

I've had several people mention I should get a beagle board (not just here), it's something I've considered, but at the moment I like the fact that the Wiz has a touchscreen and has a complete self contained system on its own, that allows me more modularity in the end and lets me play with it leading up to construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tristor said:
Gnorf said:

My understanding is that the Wiz has native USB host support and can provide a powered USB port through a break out box from the EXT2 port on the bottom combined with a battery pack or 5V wall wart. Getting drivers for the related hardware is another story, but since all of it works in Linux on x86, I'd assume any drivers not readily available could be ported.

I've had several people mention I should get a beagle board (not just here), it's something I've considered, but at the moment I like the fact that the Wiz has a touchscreen and has a complete self contained system on its own, that allows me more modularity in the end and lets me play with it leading up to construction.

Well, there is no official cradle for the Wiz. You can make one yourself with some know how and the right hardware, as proven in one of the threads in this forum. The question is, do you have the know how? Using the Wiz for your idea would, in my mind, prove to be more trouble than it would be worth.

Gnorf said:
Tristor said:
Gnorf said:

Well, there is no official cradle for the Wiz. You can make one yourself with some know how and the right hardware, as proven in one of the threads in this forum. The question is, do you have the know how? Using the Wiz for your idea would, in my mind, prove to be more trouble than it would be worth.

I would hope I can manage. I make my own custom audio electronics, I have extensive background in computer modding, and there are already schematics on the Wiki, so I imagine it isn't beyond me. I haven't actually sat down and attempted it yet, though, so I don't know for certain.

Obviously, for my purposes, a Pandora would be more suitable because it has native support for many things I would have to hack into the Wiz, as well as being more powerful hardware in general. I will most likely base this around the Wiz originally and then modify the existing system as necessary to work with a Pandora after I acquire one later on.

Back