Tutorial Suggestions

ruckage

Certified Guru
Hello. I've started this topic to build up a list of suggestions for Fenix tutorials to be added to fenixonfire. There is a real lack of English documentation which makes it very difficult to get started with this language, I'm sure that all of the fenix users here will have something they can contribute.

As suggestions are added I'll add them to a list on this first post and if a tutorial is written will add a link to it.

I'll second that. Nothing specific at this stage, just a continuation of the sort of "This is the sort of process you go through to produce a simple game in Fenix" sort of thing.

Showing an image and then fading it in/out would be great.

In the making of my little game, I had to learn about the continuous loops you write when looking for key presses, and the way the main game loop keeps going, but you need to switch something to stop a 'new game' starting again (i.e. make 'start' not work in that context). This was new to me as I'm a web developer, and things get run once before displaying them.

Here's an idea, though its a little more than a request for documented code.

To encourage little games, there may be demand for a 'template' for games. I mean something where a title sequence, high score table, sample music etc is already in place, and there is a big --insert your routine here-- space for the actual game routines.

Many fenix coders will have already written these for their games, though there are options screens etc. Could this be useful, and a shortcut for people to get their ideas down in code rather than worrying about the stuff around the actual game?

I've had a little play, this seems to work for fading... can it be tidier? Can the fade be slower?

CODE
fade(0,0,0,10000); //how the fade should operate
frame; //frame on
fade_on(); //turn on the fade
put_screen("game1.fpg",6); //say which image to show
timer[1]=0; while(timer[1]<30) frame; end //pause a split sec.

Interesting how a manual I've got says this:

CODE
FADE
fade( int r, int g, int b, int speed, int direction)

but that has got five variables. Fenix doesn't like that! can't find where I found the manuals, think they may be for DIV or something...

I'd like to know how to build a level for a simple platformer. how to detect collision with enemies or parts of the level, how a weapon could be programmed best, etc.

A simple platformer. I have the source of FireWhip, but it's commented in spanish.

Back