Tv Out Cable Please

Alerino said:
Second
Please!
Pandora will turn into a full computer (with usb mouse, keyboard and additional gamepads)
Yeah I'll be nice to be able to play some Mario Kart or Bomberman with some friends...

Last edited by a moderator:
No news about the Cables around here so I gess there are no (good) news about the cables. I guess the Cable Company still don't make small batches and OPTeam still don't buy 10K Cables so I think the situation is stuck somehow. :(

fusion_power said:
No news about the Cables around here so I gess there are no (good) news about the cables. I guess the Cable Company still don't make small batches and OPTeam still don't buy 10K Cables so I think the situation is stuck somehow. :(
Sadly this should have been shipped with the product. Yet another reason why I believe people who would order haven't.

EDIT: I just checked the status page on the openpandora website and the only thing it shows about the TV-Out cable is Design and the Sample cable. Nothing about mass production so we will have to wait for an answer from the OPT.

Derek said:
fusion_power said:
Sadly this should have been shipped with the product. Yet another reason why I believe people who would order haven't.

EDIT: I just checked the status page on the openpandora website and the only thing it shows about the TV-Out cable is Design and the Sample cable. Nothing about mass production so we will have to wait for an answer from the OPT.
Well, OPTeam already explained the situation about the Cable, NOBODY who ordered one, has one because the Company that make the Cables suddenly wanted to make a batch of 10K but OPT only needed 1K or whatever. Copper-prices had changed so they only wanted to make a huge Batch of cables. This still seems to be the current state if nothing has changed.

Mqark said:
And will the software be able to use them already when they do turn up?

Well, considering that one of the users already hacked up his own TV out cable and asked for software, I think EvilDragon will have those ready soon.

nerach said:
Alerino said:
Second
Please!
Pandora will turn into a full computer (with usb mouse, keyboard and additional gamepads)
Yeah I'll be nice to be able to play some Mario Kart or Bomberman with some friends...

+1

-God Ginrai

fusion_power said:
Derek said:
fusion_power said:

Well, OPTeam already explained the situation about the Cable, NOBODY who ordered one, has one because the Company that make the Cables suddenly wanted to make a batch of 10K but OPT only needed 1K or whatever. Copper-prices had changed so they only wanted to make a huge Batch of cables. This still seems to be the current state if nothing has changed.
Yet another problem for most people information is spread out so much that I probably would not of found the post that had the information about the TV-Out cables and that issue. That sucks for the OPteam, I hope they end up getting the cables made and shipped soon!

I thought it was officially reported the cables were done and in a warehouse? If so how many did they actually make? Maybe 10K and refuse to ship less than all of them? Seeing as how these companies always seem to throw curve-balls at the team this at least sounds plausible.

Anyway I found this so it's not because of 10K anymore?

craigix said:
They will make any number (well, within reason, like 1000+). The problem is the parts come from Chilie and an earthquake wrecked the supply line.

yet the story changes again??

i recall once they said they we're ready and in a box on a warehouse somewhere in the globe.
then that "that" box on the photo wasn't the cables.

i also recall some chile and the earthquake thing that supposedly had something to do with the headers

and now the 1k 2 10k batch issue?

thank god i sold my pre-order with no refunds policy.

DroneB Dev said:
yet the story changes again??

i recall once they said they we're ready and in a box on a warehouse somewhere in the globe.
then that "that" box on the photo wasn't the cables.

i also recall some chile and the earthquake thing that supposedly had something to do with the headers

and now the 1k 2 10k batch issue?

thank god i sold my pre-order with no refunds policy.
Don't think about it to much, Craigix talks alot if the day is long. ;)

Maybe, he meant only the few prototype Cables laying ready to roll in the Warehouse.
OR it is also possible the Factory really made 10.000 Cables instead of the ordered 1000 (example number) but don't give them away until 10K are payed.
I've also read many versions of the TV-Cable Story and they often don't fit together somehow. Well we will see, how this Sory continues, I don't expect to see my ordered and payed TV Cable this year.

^ It was explained and made sense at that time, but it was so confusing that I forgot it :p

The connector used is available, but only in large bulk orders, and the pinout is available, so it would be pretty easy for any one of us to put together a cable if they wished. Only thing is they'd need to buy several thousand connectors. I wish there was another cable freely available that used the same connector (that was handy on the gp2x, just buy one of several cell phone cables on ebay and re-pin).

cbox said:
The connector used is available, but only in large bulk orders, and the pinout is available, so it would be pretty easy for any one of us to put together a cable if they wished. Only thing is they'd need to buy several thousand connectors. I wish there was another cable freely available that used the same connector (that was handy on the gp2x, just buy one of several cell phone cables on ebay and re-pin).

if you can only buy the connector in bulk, how come the other guy has managed to make one himself - did he just have the connector lying about? Is there not somewhere else you can buy the connector from?

I'm not sure, I haven't seen that post yet. It's possible another freely available cable uses the same connector, like the GP2X cable I mentioned.

It's also possible he got an evaluation sample, some companies that ship bulk offer that service so people can see if the part will suit their purpose.

cbox said:
I'm not sure, I haven't seen that post yet.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54753-how-do-i-activate-the-video-out/

I dont understand why they didnt use a simple cable...

73.jpg

chame said:
I dont understand why they didnt use a simple cable...

73.jpg

because that connector is not only a tvout maybe?

chame said:
could use the serial and multimedia in different connectors
This would be consume too much space. It was discussed a lot. EXT port has 14 pins: GND (1), Ucc (1), SVideo (2), Sterou Audio In and Out (4), 2xUart (2 + 4). And I guess that someone would be appreciate if there would be I2C line too and/or more GPIOs :) This is compromise.

What I would really appreciate is, if there is spare EXT port connectors. Especially if there is more kind of those connectors (straight for cable, left/right angled 90° for cable - both with cable housing, straight and up/down angled for PCB). Maybe those kinds is not needed, as connector is really small, just straight and angled housing for cable needed.

Then somebody (even I) can make homebrew cables (TV, audio, RS232, wired remote control for Pandora's media player trough UART or GPIO buttons,...).

Back