TV-Out Cables built. Some questions about S-Video / Composite

hmc

Hi guys,

I have successfully built two S-Video cables now, using the connectors I bought from WizardStan.

IMG_0011.jpg IMG_0033.jpg IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0012.jpg

The cables work like a charm. With one caveat:

If I set the TV-out configuration to "S-Video", the color on the TV is too intensive. Especially red and yellow are too intensive. If I set configuration to "Composite", colors are a bit too weak (why are there colors at all?) and the image appears slightly rasterized. This is on an abt. 15 years old Sony tube TV with S-Video input.

Can the chrominance signal be configured in its strength in some way?

And, the fact that set to "Composite" there is some color, may this be an issue, and then that color and the chrominance line color are added, so that in the result there is too much color?

This is with "Composite" setting:

IMG_0017.jpg

And this is with "S-Video" setting (don't worry about that dark bar; it's the usual problem when taking photos from a flickering tube, you may remember those days ;-) ):

IMG_0021.jpg

And one more question:

If I want to make a Composite output cable, how do I connect C and Y of the Pandora to the Composite line of the TV? Should I do it like this:

http://de.wikipedia....=20051006154953

Or does the TV-Out chip of the Pandora already do something with the signals, so that I only need to connect the luminance (Y) line to the Composite input, and don't need to care about the chrominance © line?

The fact that the TV-Out settings dialog offers a switch for Composite / S-Video seems to indicate the latter.

Thanks!

I'm wanting to try and make a Pandora to Scart lead (have the parts) but I need the wiring details as I want to wire the scart up to output S-Video rather than use an adaptor.

If I want to make a Composite output cable, how do I connect C and Y of the Pandora to the Composite line of the TV? Should I do it like this: http://de.wikipedia....=20051006154953 Or does the TV-Out chip of the Pandora already do something with the signals, so that I only need to connect the luminance (Y) line to the Composite input, and don't need to care about the chrominance © line? The fact that the TV-Out settings dialog offers a switch for Composite / S-Video seems to indicate the latter.

The latter is correct I believe.

- Neelix

I'm wanting to try and make a Pandora to Scart lead (have the parts) but I need the wiring details as I want to wire the scart up to output S-Video rather than use an adaptor.

I can find that out for you. Will do so tomorrow in the evening.

I am still looking for a suitable thin and lightweight cable, i.e. with four seperately shielded lines inside (or 3, for a composite cable). DOes anyone have a good source for such a cable?

You only need to connect one of the pins for composite I forget which one. If you need me to test I can.

You only need to connect one of the pins for composite I forget which one. If you need me to test I can.

Most probably the Luminance pin (Y). But in order to be sure, if it's not too much work for you, yes, please test.

Thank you!

For my composite cable which works fine I used this guide: http://dl.openhandhe...?0,0,0,0,23,465

There is a small issue with the guide as on Page 7 it Refers to "TV OUT X (X)" but the diagram on Page 8 refers to TV-OUT1 (Y) which threw me for a while

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,

once I have sourced some lightweight NF cable, I will make some Composite cables as well.

Has anyone already compared the video quality of when using an S-Video cable compared to when using a Composite cable?

Actually, S-Video should have better quality, due to higher bandwidth available for the two separated Y and C channels. However, as for now my expierence is that Composite gives better quality, due to the exaggerated colors using the S-Video cable (see my first post of this thread).

I hoep this can be corrected in software somehow.

Or it's an issue of my TV.

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of composite out but having the option of S-Video I'd like to try that too and will then write up a comparison.

1st I need to make up the lead.

For my composite cable which works fine I used this guide: http://dl.openhandhe...?0,0,0,0,23,465

There is a small issue with the guide as on Page 7 it Refers to "TV OUT X (X)" but the diagram on Page 8 refers to TV-OUT1 (Y) which threw me for a while

Sorry, the TV OUT X (X) was probably a placeholder that I put there until I could check it against the diagram, and I must have forgotten to write in the correct values. I'll upload new version of the guide with this changes as soon as I get the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, here you go.

A comprehensive guide (yet another guide :rolleyes: ), for making a direct Pandora-->SCART TV Out cable.

TV-Out SCART cable.pdf

While writing, it appeared to me that if you build such a cable, you can have ONE cable for BOTH modes, S-Video and Composite.

The current mode then depends on

- The setting in TV-Out settings configuration dialog on the Pandora and

- if the cable is connected to a standard SCART socket or an S-Video-enabled SCART socket on your TV

(Note: Standard SCART does not support S-Video. Only SCART sockets, which explicitly support S-Video, do. Most of them are secondary SCART sockets on TVs.)

Have fun!

Daniel

Attachments

• TV-Out SCART cable.pdf
    106.3 KB · Views: 206

This should be the information you need:

http://pinouts.ru/Vi...er_pinout.shtml

Daniel

Thank you for this but it doesn't give me the pinouts from the Pandora.

I really need it spelled out e.g. pin 1 Pandora to pin 3 on SCART.
Hi Daniel, Would you or hmc consider building me a tv-out cable.I could pay whatevers fair for one.Id like to do some tv out 1ghz pandora videos when I recieve my unit.Im 3rd in the queue.Thanks.

Excellent thank you.

I´ll have a go tomorrow evening.

Hi Daniel, Would you or hmc consider building me a tv-out cable.I could pay whatevers fair for one.Id like to do some tv out 1ghz pandora videos when I recieve my unit.Im 3rd in the queue.Thanks.

Yes, no problem. I have parts for 3 (three) more cables (only S-Video!)

Probably on the weekend I will have the time to build those cables.#

You and the next two people interested in such a cable will get one.

Some time later, I will try to find thinner and more lightweight cable material, in order to build less clumsy cables.

For the price I'd like you to cover the costs for the material and shipping. Material was about 5€ per cable. Shipping costs (from Germany) highly depends on your location.

Please be aware that the cables are quite bulky. They are 5m by default (I can build shorter ones, of course; length is about proportional to weight. Please let me know, which length you prefer). Weight for 5m is slightly over 300 grams.

Shipping within Germany can be done for 2,20€ as a letter. For other destination country, please let me know the country, so I can calculate shipping costs.

This is a picture of the "raw" cable I make those cables from, so you can imagine size and weight better:

IMG_0035.jpg

Oh, btw: The default TV-side connector of the cable is one S-Video Mini-DIN and two Audio cinch plugs.

For an additional 1€ I will include an S-Video to SCART adapter, if you need one.

Daniel

Yes, no problem. I have parts for 3 (three) more cables (only S-Video!)

Probably on the weekend I will have the time to build those cables.#

You and the next two people interested in such a cable will get one.

Some time later, I will try to find thinner and more lightweight cable material, in order to build less clumsy cables.

For the price I'd like you to cover the costs for the material and shipping. Material was about 5€ per cable. Shipping costs (from Germany) highly depends on your location.

Please be aware that the cables are quite bulky. They are 5m by default (I can build shorter ones, of course; length is about proportional to weight. Please let me know, which length you prefer). Weight for 5m is slightly over 300 grams.

Shipping within Germany can be done for 2,20€ as a letter. For other destination country, please let me know the country, so I can calculate shipping costs.

This is a picture of the "raw" cable I make those cables from, so you can imagine size and weight better:

View attachment 2939

Oh, btw: The default TV-side connector of the cable is one S-Video Mini-DIN and two Audio cinch plugs.

For an additional 1€ I will include an S-Video to SCART adapter, if you need one.

Daniel
thanks alot.I will pm you all my details about the cable and the post etc.

Back