Tv Out Rules!!

R

Reesy

Yeah I've finally got the correct cables to connect my gp2x to my TV. I've had a TV out cable for months now but my TV does not have a S-Video input so I've basically been buggered.

Well all I can say is wow!, this thing rules! Me very happy :)

Yes, TV-Out is what sets the GP2X apart from all of the other current handhelds. I was amazed to see it on my TV for the first time as well. Great to watch movies, play games, heck...even play music.

I really need to get around to ordering one of those damn cables. But I guess a breakout box is really a better bet, since I want to add USB joystick support to Stargazer's engine, I will need something to test with naturally ... plus, the breakout box that is currently available seems to be of higher quality than GPH's cable. Good bit more expensive though .. but I do think I will get good use out of it.

Yeah I've finally got the correct cables to connect my gp2x to my TV. I've had a TV out cable for months now but my TV does not have a S-Video input so I've basically been buggered.

Well all I can say is wow!, this thing rules! Me very happy :)

Can I ask what cables you're using? Cause my tv doesn't have an S-Video input either :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the tv-out feature sound through the bottom connector or would one need to connect to the headphone socket?

My headphone socket came loose 2nd time I used it and haven't been able to put it back. Will I be able to get sound output to the tv?

What does an S-Video input look like?

Little round black input with holes for four pins.

I can't believe you guys still have TV's without S-Vid. I think the last TV I owned without it was in the late eighties. I haven't even seen a TV since then anywhere that didn't have it....even my super budget Sanyo here :)

Does the tv-out feature sound through the bottom connector or would one need to connect to the headphone socket?

My headphone socket came loose 2nd time I used it and haven't been able to put it back. Will I be able to get sound output to the tv?

The sound comes through the bottom connector....you do not need to connect anything to the headphone jack.

you just need a small converter to turn your s-video into the standard video output "phono type" plug - theyre really easy to come by and dirt cheap. the if your tv has a scart socket you just get another scart to video audio converters whaich, again, are dirt cheap and on sale at any TV sales outlet...

easy - non?

rick - damn hot today!

30S2-05400.jpg

The black end with the 4 round pins and 1 square pin is S-Video. The other end is RCA/Composite. That's an adapter, naturally. If you can hook it up with S-Video-- do so! The chroma and luma lines provide better color and brightness accuracy than just composite video does.

Personally I didn't see S-Video on any TV before maybe 1998.. or later ..

TIP: S-Video is pin-for-pin the SAME as an old Macintosh ADB keyboard/mouse cable. You can get one off ebay for a couple bucks very very cheap, and it'll still be quite a solid cable. I hooked one up in the place of my fancy gold S-Video cable and could not tell a difference.

If anyone wants an S-Video to RCA socket, I'll see how much I can put them together for. Gotta cost up a BoB so few extra parts wouldn't be any problem.

Edit: PM me if you'd like some info, I'm in the UK so UK people only unless you want to pay silly prices for postage :)

30S2-05400.jpg

The black end with the 4 round pins and 1 square pin is S-Video. The other end is RCA/Composite. That's an adapter, naturally. If you can hook it up with S-Video-- do so! The chroma and luma lines provide better color and brightness accuracy than just composite video does.

I tried using a converter like the one you mentioned but it gave me a black and white picture...

Could have just been a knackered component mind you.

I tried using a converter like the one you mentioned but it gave me a black and white picture...

I'd have to ask, cause I notice you're also from scotland, if your tv can handle NTSC format? Cause european tv's that dont will go black and white with that signal.... eh depends what you're trying to show on it I guess though... I wonder if the gp2x defaults a kinda NTSC output... oh I dont know, think I'm out of my depth here.

The problem with TV out is so much of the picture is cut off, thats due to manufactures not wanting people to see any black by any chance and 'zooming' in the picture. I can't play games without seeing the health and ammo bar, ect.

As for that Mac keyboard tip, its very cool (looked at mine) but all my cables go directly into the keyboard (aka they are permenently atached to the keyboard). I have 3 different keyboards and they all do this, did yours not?

The problem with TV out is so much of the picture is cut off, thats due to manufactures not wanting people to see any black by any chance and 'zooming' in the picture. I can't play games without seeing the health and ammo bar, ect.
If you can get into your service menu you can fix your TV. I did on my RCA/GE, my mom's RCA/GE, and my Magnavox. The RCA ones have a code, like hold menu and turn on unit, press vol + etc. do a google.

The Magnavox was a PITA, I had to take the cover off and ground the "jumper" that hadn't been soldered in while I turned on the unit.

Either way overscan is a non-issue if you know how to get into your TV's service menu :).

As for that Mac keyboard tip, its very cool (looked at mine) but all my cables go directly into the keyboard (aka they are permenently atached to the keyboard). I have 3 different keyboards and they all do this, did yours not?

Regular PS/2 kbd/ms cables are nearly the same thing, just knock the plastic "key" out of the end and it fits (I soldered a mouse cable to the circuit board of my first PSX, I love hardware hacking :)).

I don't know what the cost is on those however. I just pick up spares at second-hand stores, sometimes they come with DVD players and are unused, there might be one in your junk drawer already, or the junk drawer of someone you know :).

I'd have to ask, cause I notice you're also from scotland, if your tv can handle NTSC format? Cause european tv's that dont will go black and white with that signal.... eh depends what you're trying to show on it I guess though... I wonder if the gp2x defaults a kinda NTSC output... oh I dont know, think I'm out of my depth here.

Yeah my tv can handle NTSC ok. I've tried switching between PAL and NTSC output just in case, but it didn't have any effect.

Back