TV-Out with Peca Custom Cable

Is Link's cable faulty or what? Final verdict?
Thanks bro, I've been on the road to Bernie Sanders' Land. I will PM Peca for his address and mail this cable back. Maybe he can salvage it, and I can have one that works.

Heading to Vermont?
Off topic:

Yep, pretty stoked on it. Had a two hour interview today for a tech job, fingers crossed. Can't wait to vote for Bernie, most worthwhile vote I could cast besides Nader. I hope he runs in 2012 for a newly Green designed White House in Washington rebuilding from a bad fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Link's cable faulty or what? Final verdict?
Thanks bro, I've been on the road to Bernie Sanders' Land. I will PM Peca for his address and mail this cable back. Maybe he can salvage it, and I can have one that works.

Heading to Vermont?
Off topic:

Yep, pretty stoked on it. Had a two hour interview today for a tech job, fingers crossed. Can't wait to vote for Bernie, most worthwhile vote I could cast besides Nader. I hope he runs in 2012 for a newly Green designed White House in Washington rebuilding from a bad fire.

I actually live in Vermont, work at IBM in Essex Junction. Not sure if that's were your interviewing.. but good possibility I suppose. Well good luck!

And sorry to thread jack..

I'm back. I have some unread PM's - so I'll check if some other faults appears or not. Next I'll make new cables as replacement by this week. I want to solve bad cables at first before continuing with new orders.

Just PMed peca, but as I'm in a particular time crunch, I thought I'd post it here as well in case anyone has any ideas:

--

I might be sleep deprived, but I suspect my cable is bad. Or my two early production Pandoras :p Or my brain :)

I'm a bit of a mess right now though, so could be me ;)

The leads you put on there are .. svideo, audio left/right (short leads), and composite (yellow)+audio left/right (long leads); ie: theres two pairs of audio on it?

If I use just yellow and nothing else and my TV set to AV in, then on pandora both svideo and composite setting (HF6b1) will show on the TV (how odd, should be blank for svideo setting no?) Its also in grayscale, no colour showing, nomatter what. My best setting is PAL Svideo (with yellow composite) of all things, even though its the yellow composite plug. Still grayscale, but its not shaky. If I do svideo mode on the svideo lead, its vertically shaky and still grayscale.

Both my original run Pandoras do the same. Some rainbow shimmer with some mode combinations over composite, but thats to be expected (I think :)

Do I have the leads right? (two pairs of audio?)

Audio over one pair of red/white did seem to work.

Is it possible (hf6b1) that pandora set to svideo shows up over yellow composite lead? Perhaps that tells us something..

So which is screwy.. my head, the cable, or my pandoras? :)

jeff

Ah, audio in, probably, so nvm mind that. That'd be the short pair.

Read some random threads on the net real quick..

I wonder if..

1) order of turn on matters (pandora then TV, vice versa, etc)

2) some threads suggesting opening up the connector, tieing wire pairs together and so on .. I woudlnt' expect such a hack, but I dont' know jack about european wiring versus north american wiring for svideo :)

Hmm..

To me, it feels like its mis-wired due to the signal showing up on composite lead regardless of setting and always being gray nomatter what, but I'm clinging to it being my bad, or misunderstanding :)

jeff

My thinking is I probably need to open it up and hack on a couple of the wires .. I bet chroma is swapped with one, or something.

Got not much time for fiddling, so may have to wait :(

Full screen (PAL mode 'svideo' on the composite lead) is stable and sharp, just grayscale.. but that takes all the fun out of it ;)

jeff

sebt3's suggestion is so ghetto, but might just work ;) http://sebt3.openpandora.org/P1060919.JPG

oh I dont' blame peca, this stuff is all very fiddly to make, especialyl goign cross-the-ocean :) Also, I begged him to rush it ;)

Alerino -- do you mean, that the new script (overlay or not) was screen roll, but the old script with the new kernel was ok (non overlay only, since the old script didn't do overlay)? Or what do you mean precisely 'old script over the new one'?

jeff

@Skeezix: Beside my notes in PM - what kind of TV set do You have? I have an Watson TV and it is piece of crap - bad picture with either composite or s-video (trough scart adapter). With projector at my work it works as charm. Anyway. Try check connection of SVideo connector if You can. If I made mistake and swap luma and chroma signals - it could be fixed in the SVideo connector (either by replacing it by new one or open it and swap signal wires - SVideo connector is not glued but pressed, use thin pliers).

Another thought - check if pins in the EXT port connector are tight enough. Maybe use some needle and try to bend pins a little so the make better contact in socket.

yeah, will bust out my soldering magnifier-eyepiece and see if anythign is bent or loose at the connectors, maybe try another TV (this is a 2 year old 50" LG LCD TV), maybe a low end 20 year old TV will work better with composite who knows. I'll fiddle a bit and then shelve it if theres issues, think I won't have time soon.

Its really crisp and sharp just grayscale with 'svideo mode, on composite plug', and sound is good. Bloody colour :)

Tip though.. can someone check .. if svideo mode is on (hf6b1), and you plug in the composite leed and not svideo, do you still get an image? Or is that a 'give'? ie: If mine shows an image on composite in svideo mode and others do not, that sure tells us something ;) or maybe the image is being sent to both leads all the time?

jeff

In SVideo mode it shows B/W picture on composite end - for sure. SVideo out is made by two signals "luminance" - which carrying B/W piscture and is connected to the composite output too - and "chrominance" - which carrying colour.

Script set chipset to send mixed luminance and chrominance to the one pin as composite signal.

NTSC Composite output is broken on HF6b1 - that's what notaz fixed in the GIT already. Will be included in HF6b2,

Back