Tv-out Works, But Sucks. Solutions?

Dr_Rent

Still Fresh
So, I got my TV-out cable the other day, excited to play games on my television. I plug it in, it works fine, but after a minute or two of playing, I notice that the output seems to be skipping several rows of pixels in regular intervals. As a result, when playing (for example) a SNES emulator, some of the text looks wrong, since it's skipping certain important lines. I'm wondering whether this is simply a result of the implementation of the TV-out, if there's something screwy with my GP2X, or if it's just my TV's fault. If it's just a fact of the way TV-out was created, is there any homebrew update to correct/change this behavior?

Search the file archive for "TV-Out Fixer", maybe this will help ..

.. I have a similar problem, but I chalked it up to the fact hat I'm using an s-video-to-RCA converter .. I haven't yet tried the tv-out-fixer app though ..

Alright, I downloaded and tried the program. In the readme, it advises the user to run the program "from the Utilities option of the main menu;" however, I have no such menu option. Instead, I ran the program from the "games" option on the main gp2x menu. This seemed to run fine, but didn't change the appearance of the TV output at all. From the looks of it, this utility is designed to fix programs with no TV-out support, but I don't think the problem is with the emulator I'm using (DrPocketSNES 6), since it seems the same issue occurs in the gp2x menus as well (though it's not as noticable) and in the TV-Out Fixer app too. Any other suggestions?

Ah, I should mention that I'm using firmware 3.0.0, if that makes a difference.

Yeah, the tv out isn't as good as it should be. The GP2X has a couple of special 320x240 game modes, but in the GPH driver they don't work so everything gets scaled slightly instead (unless apps are specially written to get around the problem, but apart from a couple of pieces of homebrew most aren't). I've tried getting the 320x240 modes to work, but I have very little time to do any tvout coding so it's been taking a long time (and I've had no luck at all yet).

So, if I understand you right, it's a known problem, there are known fixes (applied to programs on an individual basis), but no program to solve the problem universally, as with the TV-Out Fixer program?

In that case, is there a direction you can point me to that describes the source of the problem (and hopefully the fix as well), so that I may perhaps try my hand at writing something to solve the issue?

Well, the TV Out looks fine on normal CRTs for me, but certainly sucks on LCDs and Plasmas.

EvilDragon said:
Well, the TV Out looks fine on normal CRTs for me, but certainly sucks on LCDs and Plasmas.
I have the line skipping problem myself, but could it just be that NTSC has fewer scanlines, and the image needs to be scaled down? Then, the PAL folks wouldn't really notice any image degredation, if any at all...

Last edited by a moderator:
PAL is worse than NTSC. NTSC is 720x480 so the only real scaling is horizontal (vertical is just doubled), which means on NTSC it kind of scales to 360x240. PAL scales to 360x288. I've never noticed any lines getting skipped on an NTSC LCD, but I've seen plenty of lines get added on PAL.

woogal said:
PAL is worse than NTSC. NTSC is 720x480 so the only real scaling is horizontal (vertical is just doubled), which means on NTSC it kind of scales to 360x240. PAL scales to 360x288. I've never noticed any lines getting skipped on an NTSC LCD, but I've seen plenty of lines get added on PAL.
Hmmm... Then why the heck am I getting cut out scanlines?

The easiest way for me to see it is when there's text o the screen, like on ROM selectors.

With just a quick glance, I noticed about 7 lines cut out.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, it also does this on every TV I have access too, CRTs, projection TVs, (the closest to LCD I have) and projectors. (Here's a Wiki Article on displays)

Wait let me get this straight
The GP2X's TV OUT feature (One of the main reasons I want this device) SUCKS and has a bunch of problems? Why isin't there a sticky about this somewhere? And the thing cannot do full emulation of SNES next somebody is going to tell me game development is so tricky you might as well stick to a PSP and try that?

Is this true the GP2X TV OUT sucks and I should not get it for EMulators and TV OUT alone?
I thought about ngetting it for those and for game development but I'm starting to rear twords not getting it. Sorry for spelling but this gets me a bit upset.
And my TV sets are PAL since I live in America

TylerAW said:
The GP2X's TV OUT feature (One of the main reasons I want this device) SUCKS and has a bunch of problems? Why isin't there a sticky about this somewhere? And the thing cannot do full emulation of SNES next somebody is going to tell me game development is so tricky you might as well stick to a PSP and try that?

Is this true the GP2X TV OUT sucks and I should not get it for EMulators and TV OUT alone?
I thought about ngetting it for those and for game development but I'm starting to rear twords not getting it. Sorry for spelling but this gets me a bit upset.
Oy, vey. Spare us all and just stick with your PSP. <_<

saehn said:
TylerAW said:

No Seriously if the TV Out sucks then how come there is not a fix or something like that? I"m not trying to complain I can't really since I have not gotten a GP2X yet but I just wanted to know if TV out is worth it or not?

TylerAW said:
saehn said:
TylerAW said:

No Seriously if the TV Out sucks then how come there is not a fix or something like that? I"m not trying to complain I can't really since I have not gotten a GP2X yet but I just wanted to know if TV out is worth it or not?

Well, Lets just say, The GP2x does TV-out better than the psp.

Trooper

TylerAW said:
ERROR. Does not compute.
America has NTSC. PAL is Europe.

Well, I use TV Out with a normal CRT TV, and it's okay for me.
Just don't use it with Plasma or LCD, but those will look crap with any device that has a different resolution than the display has.

Last edited:
trooper said:
TylerAW said:
saehn said:
TylerAW said:

Well, Lets just say, The GP2x does TV-out better than the psp.

Trooper

Well I guess thats true

EvilDragon said:
TylerAW said:
ERROR. Does not compute.
America has NTSC. PAL is Europe.

Well, I use TV Out with a normal CRT TV, and it's okay for me.
Just don't use it with Plasma or LCD, but those will look crap with any device that has a different resolution than the display has.

I did not plan to lol. We have some normal sets and a 65" HDTV non LCD or plasma but it would still look bad, either way I gotta try it :p

I HAVE COME TO HIJACK THIS THREAD! :ph34r:

I just purchased my TV-OUT cable for the GP2X.
It does it's job, but for example on Beat2x it cuts out the right and bottom of the screen:
tv2007072115120700va8.png

Positioning in firmware does not change anything, even if I move it all the way to the left the rightmost of the screen is cut off.
Is there any known way to fix this or do I have to live with not being able to see the R-trigger completely?

Also, here's a comparsion between PAL and NTSC output.
As you can see, NTSC makes the text in the firmware hard to read.

PAL:
tv2007072114594500ez6.png

NTSC:
tv2007072114593400ae0.png

Doesn't matter though, I live in PAL and my screen supports both PAL and NTSC.
Anyway, I'll try out this tvout-fixer from the archive, but I doubt it'll solve my beat2x issue.

Burbruee said:
It does it's job, but for example on Beat2x it cuts out the right and bottom of the screen:

I had that happen with CACK. It seems to be caused by using hardware sdl surfaces with double buffering. Switching to software surfaces or a single hardware surface solved the problem from what I remember.

Burbruee said:
I HAVE COME TO HIJACK THIS THREAD! :ph34r:

Positioning in firmware does not change anything, even if I move it all the way to the left the rightmost of the screen is cut off.
Is there any known way to fix this or do I have to live with not being able to see the R-trigger completely?

Also, here's a comparsion between PAL and NTSC output.
As you can see, NTSC makes the text in the firmware hard to read.

Like woogal said, it's driver pb, a partial solution can be to change the TV surface resolution but this solution need to be included in the program itself. I've already included this methode in my programs because I've a plasma TV and the original scalling is awful.
;)

Back