Tv output alternatives

Lord Moonscar

Still Fresh
I thought i saw a thread on here the other day about someone making a Tv out instead of waiting for one. Has anyone found any way of making one or using something else as a alternative ?

I found the old topic just now :/

on the gp32x forums

here

Still has anyone found a alternative

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure if you can find plans you could find all the parts at Spark Fun. That place has a ton of stuff. If I remember correctly the port that outputs TV out is standard, so that should make the parts even easier to find.

I remember someone was making break out boxes a few years ago, I think he sold a few of them to people that got dev boards, but I don't know what ever happened to him, I thought he was going to start making them when the Pandora shipped.

EDIT: Oh wait, it was a breakout box for the GP2X that I was thinking about, not the Pandora. Oops. Brings back memories though. . .

pandora prt not standard - requires 10k min order to get the port part.

Yeah thats what i thought. Is there any way to use the usb type a port for vid out ?

something like THIS but reverse

Yeah thats what i thought. Is there any way to use the usb type a port for vid out ?

something like THIS but reverse
You could buy a USB-VGA converter - unfortunately, they tend to be expensive, and will decrease performance. I think cosurgi has one working.

is this a vga to usb ?

Or would you suggest buying a usb monitor

is this a vga to usb ?

Or would you suggest buying a usb monitor
No, something like this.

Note that that one isn't guaranteed to work with the Pandora, but it should give you an idea of the type of device. I don't know which model cosurgi has, but to my knowledge his is the only one that's been tested.

It's a 500 min order, not 10k, and 8 week lead time. Someone keeps stepping up to say they'll buy them and distribute at cost, but then we never hear about it again. :(

if its only 500 of them,ill buy em for resale if ed/craig allow it if they dont think itll cut into their tvout cable distribution

Here is the seller offering up boxes of 500. Or was just under a year ago. Also double check that someone else hasn't already ordered them. You're looking at about a $400 upfront cost though. If you really are going to do it and no one else has already done so for real, then I'll gladly throw in $20 now for fair share later.

Here is the seller offering up boxes of 500. Or was just under a year ago. Also double check that someone else hasn't already ordered them. You're looking at about a $400 upfront cost though. If you really are going to do it and no one else has already done so for real, then I'll gladly throw in $20 now for fair share later.
This supplier says they have 70 in stock and no minimum order quantity, so that might be a starting point - at least it might be worth giving them a call.

i see it becoming a common hack to replace this non standard form factor. it cant have more than 6 pins

The link above links to a cell phone connector. Is it a cell phone connector? If so what cell phone uses it and would it be possible to buy the cable and hack it? Might be easier and cheaper.

One thing to consider would be can you get all the parts and build it in a month? March is the month that the video out cables are supposed to be made and shipped. I know that there is the expertise you gain by doing it your self and if that is the reason go for it but if not I'd just wait.

Back