Tv Tuner Combo Gps Usb Stick!

My wife just got a shiny new black Asus EEE 901 running Linux, and I have to say mythfrontend runs like an absolute dream on it.

I have high hopes for mythfrontend on Pandora, and if I'm not able to help port I'll be more than happy to test out some early alphas.

The best part about the Pandora is the "Wizard of Oz" element... get a decent mythbackend with gobs of storage and play all those videos over the network, without wires. Much more beautiful than making your pandora into a cyberpunk nightmare of cables.

A thought came to me just now and I'm going to write it down here because I'm likely to forget it. It would be awesome if a mythfrontend port on Pandora could have a "cache this video locally" option, saving the file off the network and storing it for future viewing. It's a feature that might make those Asus EEE mythfrontend users happy as well. :)

Trevor Bradley said:
My wife just got a shiny new black Asus EEE 901 running Linux, and I have to say mythfrontend runs like an absolute dream on it.

I have high hopes for mythfrontend on Pandora, and if I'm not able to help port I'll be more than happy to test out some early alphas.

The best part about the Pandora is the "Wizard of Oz" element... get a decent mythbackend with gobs of storage and play all those videos over the network, without wires. Much more beautiful than making your pandora into a cyberpunk nightmare of cables.

A thought came to me just now and I'm going to write it down here because I'm likely to forget it. It would be awesome if a mythfrontend port on Pandora could have a "cache this video locally" option, saving the file off the network and storing it for future viewing. It's a feature that might make those Asus EEE mythfrontend users happy as well. :)
Since we've seen video of FF3 browsing on the Pandora, you can do this with mythweb. There's a link to download the video from your recorded programs page. However, it'll be much, MUCH faster to just pop your SD card into a reader on your myth backend and copy the file(s) manually. mythrename.pl can help you keep them straight (use mythrename to create sanely-named links in a separate directory, then cp from your links dir to the SD card).

There are other alternatives to let you stream your recorded programs over the web to wherever you happen to be, but I won't go into detail. I think I've already come way too close to hijacking this thread. :(
Just google 'vlc' and 'jinzora.'

Happy reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
gpx74532 said:
_Sterling said:
In fact, I'm working on getting my dev environment set up so I can create a minimal frontend for pandora using the gmyth libraries. I'll have to be within wi-fi range of my backend, but this should be very nice for lounging in the back yard while catching up on my watchlist.
This is one of the main reasons I bought the Pandora for in the hopes someone would be working on something like this. If you do try a frontend I am willing to help if I can.

There is an outside chance that MythFrontend (actually all of MythTV) is already done according to this thread

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=44947&hl=

I wonder how easy it will be to add?

gpx74532 said:
There is an outside chance that MythFrontend (actually all of MythTV) is already done according to this thread

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=44947&hl=

I wonder how easy it will be to add?

It would certainly be worth a shot. However, I think there may be some performance gains to be had by building a new frontend from scratch using gmyth. There are two reasons for this -- first, it doesn't necessarily look like the Angstrom repository's mythfrontend has been optimized for a small memory footprint. This may not be a problem, because my experience with mythfrontend is that it's not a memory hog -- looks like it only uses 25M or so when playing back a recording. Second, and more important, if their port of mythfrontend isn't written to take advantage of the DSP, you'll be forcing the ARM processor to handle the video decoding and display, which may cause some choppiness, buffering, or other display problems.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I plan on trying the Angstrom port first, and if it works, that'll save me several months worth of effort.

I'm pretty certain I saw something about a mythv frontend for the Nokia tablets out there somewhere.

Avermedia make very good tv tuners, had one a few years ago at uni. was an excellent reliable DVB-T

Back