Beta Twin-E (Engine For Lba 1 And 2)

relapse808

I just saw this youtube video of little big adventure running on a N900.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gZg7tWx5Zc&feature=related

I am wondering if we can get this going on pandora. LBA and LBA2 are 2 of my favorite classic games.

Thanks

Lee

relapse808 said:
I just saw this youtube video of little big adventure running on a N900.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gZg7tWx5Zc&feature=related

I am wondering if we can get this going on pandora. LBA and LBA2 are 2 of my favorite classic games.

Thanks

Lee

I saw that video a while back, was wondering the same. Someone helpfully told me that LBA1 mostly works, on Dosbox I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I cant find it in the archive nor from googleing about it, i guess noone has ported it (until now).
Yes, it is very possible, with very little effort (changing a few defines and tinkering in the makefile) i have compiled and tested it for the pandora.
Im not sure it works for LBA2 tough.

I'll release the binary and sources in a bit.

Dimacus said:
Since I cant find it in the archive nor from googleing about it, i guess noone has ported it (until now).
Yes, it is very possible, with very little effort (changing a few defines and tinkering in the makefile) i have compiled and tested it for the pandora.
Im not sure it works for LBA2 tough.

I'll release the binary and sources in a bit.

A BIG thanks to you SIR!!! Anyway to get this in pnd format?

This thread concerns a rather old reimplementation of the LBA engine called Twin-e
There is another engine that is based on Twin-e -> HERE <-
Please check out that thread instead, it's based on this one. But with alot of improvements.

Original Message:

Ok, it's done.
The pnd can be downloaded HERE
It will require that you get the original data files somewhere else.

Also, since the game makes use of midi music, you will need THIS aswell if you want to hear music.

Have fun!

[Edit]
The modified sources can be obtained from HERE
And the original can be obtained Here

This is really a quick port, so I don't think donations would feel right.
There are other Devs and porters whom are much more deserving of donations.

Also, I wouldn't expect too much as the engine i ported doesn't seem to be finished.

I have heard however that others have had some luck with dosbox and lba on the psp.
So if this wasn't what you expected, you can always try out that (Dosbox on the pandora that is :) ).

Thanks for this. Ill definitely try LBA2,

LBA1 works pretty well on PCSX Rearmed r4 with bios, it has minor glitch's but doesn't ruin the game.

Just been doing a bit of reading on this, and although it appears the game is completable using twin-e, there may be a save bug (an N900 user reported it). Has anyone tried it out yet?

The other thing I found was a newer project, that's seen more recent activity, that supposedly builds upon and cleans up the twin-e code, here's the link: https://code.google.com/p/prequengine/

Dead1nside said:
Just been doing a bit of reading on this, and although it appears the game is completable using twin-e, there may be a save bug (an N900 user reported it). Has anyone tried it out yet?

The other thing I found was a newer project, that's seen more recent activity, that supposedly builds upon and cleans up the twin-e code, here's the link: https://code.google.com/p/prequengine/

I have tried it out, but I cant tell weather the saves work or not (i can't recall if it autosaves, or if you have some special place to save).
Twin-e does have some control problems atleast (you turn a lot while trying to fight as an example, this makes fighting a bit difficult).

I check that project out, and the code does indeed look a bit cleaner.
I just complied and packaged a version for the pandora, see more here : http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58483-prequ-engine-another-lba-engine/

I've installed it but can't get it to run with lba2. I've put the game files in the twine folder under appdata. Have I missed anything ?

D4damage said:
I've installed it but can't get it to run with lba2. I've put the game files in the twine folder under appdata. Have I missed anything ?

I think it only works with LBA1 or Relentless as it was called in North America. Although I'd love to be proven wrong on that one.

D4damage said:
Do I need to name the game file directory something other than twine ?

Looking around in some old forum threads, Im sad to say that Twin-e probably does not support LBA2.

@BAFelton:
Please check out this thread instead, it's a better engine for LBA, based on this one. But with alot of improvements.

Dimacus said:
Looking around in some old forum threads, Im sad to say that Twin-e probably does not support LBA2.

I think you're right. It appears that the same author started an LBA2 engine project, to be based off prequengine, but that is _very_ early stage, and intended to be done after prequengine is complete (however there's been almost a year of inactivity on the project page).

For anyone interested in talking about LBA1 or 2, there's a forum at magicball.net where the author of this engine hangs out, and actually referred me onto it.

I've also found some early stage talk about Residual, a ScummVM off-shoot project, to include more engines, twin-e inclusion was discussed.

Back