Twitterix: New Vid In The Works

Enverex said:
God Ginrai said:
Enverex said:
You shouldn't ever need to reinstall, it's one of the primary benefits of a rolling release distro (and why those are always what I personally have stuck to).

That's what I thought. That's why I was asking that question, because dflemster said that he kept a seperate partition for his home directory to preserve his documents between installs, which I wasn't understanding why he was reinstalling Arch.

-God Ginrai

That's mainly in case someone gets bored and changes distros, or if they somehow catastrophically destroy their entire system and need to reinstall. No other real reason that I can see.

Does Fedora keep the home directory on a seperate partition standardly?

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
Enverex said:
You shouldn't ever need to reinstall, it's one of the primary benefits of a rolling release distro (and why those are always what I personally have stuck to).

That's what I thought. That's why I was asking that question, because dflemster said that he kept a seperate partition for his home directory to preserve his documents between installs, which I wasn't understanding why he was reinstalling Arch.

-God Ginrai
I am NOT on Arch at the moment, but on Kubuntu (yes, sue me) because I need it for a client thing. After that, I'll probably go over to Fedora KDE, which is my primary OS of choice. I have a separate /home because of that, but also because I sometimes want to have multiple distros installed at the same time while having the same /home in all of them.

dflemstr said:
God Ginrai said:
Enverex said:

-God Ginrai
I am NOT on Arch at the moment, but on Kubuntu (yes, sue me) because I need it for a client thing. After that, I'll probably go over to Fedora KDE, which is my primary OS of choice. I have a separate /home because of that, but also because I sometimes want to have multiple distros installed at the same time while having the same /home in all of them.

Ah, ok.

*starts gathering the legal papers to sue dflemster for using Kubuntu*

;P

-God Ginrai

dflemstr said:
God Ginrai said:
Enverex said:

-God Ginrai

Are you using the same username and UID on the same partition with two different distros? I did that once and there were some conflicts because of different versions of software.

I find it useful to use a different username (same UID for file permission purposes), so I can just make symlinks to important stuff (~/Music, ~/Pictures, Firefox and thunderbird profiles, etc) in the other distros home.

michaeljustman said:
dflemstr said:
God Ginrai said:
Enverex said:

-God Ginrai

Are you using the same username and UID on the same partition with two different distros? I did that once and there were some conflicts because of different versions of software.

I find it useful to use a different username (same UID for file permission purposes), so I can just make symlinks to important stuff (~/Music, ~/Pictures, Firefox and thunderbird profiles, etc) in the other distros home.
Same UID, same username, yes. I only use "cutting-edge" distros that don't patch their packages so much (*cough* openSUSE), for example like Arch or Fedora, so they all use roughly the same software versions.

http://twitter.com/Craigix/statuses/2859628761

"It's possible I have the pig flu. I've been feeling progressively worse all weekend."

:eek:

I hope you get well soon Craig!

Pig Flu is no worse than a normal flu. Eat some bread and water, have a good nights rest.

Well, look on the bright side... IF this strain later mutates to a more deadly version, as happened in 1918, it's best to get infected by it while it's still fairly benign, so that you'll develop antibodies.

Esn said:
Well, look on the bright side... IF this strain later mutates to a more deadly version, as happened in 1918, it's best to get infected by it while it's still fairly benign, so that you'll develop antibodies.
Well, the virus, as you so handily pointed out, mutates all the time, so antibodies won't do you any good after it has mutated.

dflemstr said:
Esn said:
Well, the virus, as you so handily pointed out, mutates all the time, so antibodies won't do you any good after it has mutated.

It takes many many generations for a normal flu strain to mutate in such a way that the protein case around the virus is no longer recognized by our immune system. Sometimes it takes years. I imagine this one isn't much different.

mindlord said:
dflemstr said:
Esn said:

It takes many many generations for a normal flu strain to mutate in such a way that the protein case around the virus is no longer recognized by our immune system. Sometimes it takes years. I imagine this one isn't much different.

And even some the antibodies can be good for a lifetime, because the virus doesn't mutate quickly or at all. I got immunized for chicken pox when I was eight and I've had three of my kids get it and I was able to take care of them without catching it again.

The swine and fowl flues are particularly mutational (real word I swear). That's why the elderly get vaccinations every year. Though I doubt it's really necessary.

I just think the fuss over the swine flu is a little over the top. Although it was nice to be able to stock up on cheap bacon as the fearful ignorant masses stopped buying pork because they heard the words "swine flu".

michaeljustman said:
I just think the fuss over the swine flu is a little over the top. Although it was nice to be able to stock up on cheap bacon as the fearful ignorant masses stopped buying pork because they heard the words "swine flu".
Oh, I agree totally. Pork used to be the poor man's meat, but it's gotten to the point where it's almost as expensive as steak. Way to go media for putting pork back in it's place.

Heh, they started slaughtering pigs in... Egypt, I think it was, right after the scare first broke. As the price of pork there dropped like a rock, he bought pork futures on their market. When they cleared several months later, he made some ridiculous amount of money off them. I wished I had had enough money to do the same :(

WizardStan said:
Heh, they started slaughtering pigs in... Egypt, I think it was, right after the scare first broke.

lol, the fluu was just an excuse to try to get rid of pork in their nice country where eating pork is forbiden by religion...

Elwing said:
WizardStan said:
Heh, they started slaughtering pigs in... Egypt, I think it was, right after the scare first broke.

lol, the fluu was just an excuse to try to get rid of pork in their nice country where eating pork is forbiden by religion...

But surely that doesn't have to do anything with Islam, because Islam is peace! ;) <_<

Wolfsclaw said:
Elwing said:
WizardStan said:

But surely that doesn't have to do anything with Islam, because Islam is peace! ;) <_<
Ok, back on track guys :) . Let's stay off the easily combustable topics.

So, I guess the video will take a week or so more? If I remember correctly recovering from swine flu shouldn't take longer on average.

Wolfsclaw said:
Elwing said:
WizardStan said:

The word of Islam: Peace to everyone ... who follows the teachings of Islam. War towards everyone else.

Yeh, I've been watching patcondell on YouTube recently, why do you ask? :p

BTW we're horribly off-topic

Hey, I'm thinking about making an update notifier for twitterix (so that I get a popup on my desktop when there's a new tweet). I'm bored.

Back