Beta Uae4All Additions

john4p said:
Won't do this searching-for-ADFs again - justed wanted to show that the majority of games work.
The ones that don't work are mostly ancient games which do some weird stuff (still also most of those titles work).

If a game is really important to you just get all the different available ADFs and try each one.
In most cases you'll find at least one working version.
Why are these games so tricky to get a working version? Is it the disk images themselves that are bad or is it the way they were cracked? Unfortunatly I don't have access to an infinite number of different ADFs and it would be a big undertaking to test every game for compatibility. Is there some kind of guideline in finding working versions?

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the way they're cracked.

Amiga is damn hard to emulate thanks to custom chips.
A lot of games had a copy protection that's not easy to copy - or to emulate. It uses tricks that only work on the real machine.
Some cracked games use completely different loading routine and those games work, while some remove the protection but keep most of those loading routines intact.. which crashes the emulator.
Also, a lot of Cracktros might use special hardware tricks on the system which are also hard to emulate.
They might depend on special timins of custom chips, ie.

BTW: Regarding the games that throw you back our of the emulator: Could be that it is related to special chars in the filename? Might be a + in the filename... IK+ throws me out, and the + is not shown in the file browser.

EvilDragon said:
It's the way they're cracked.

Amiga is damn hard to emulate thanks to custom chips.
A lot of games had a copy protection that's not easy to copy - or to emulate. It uses tricks that only work on the real machine.
Some cracked games use completely different loading routine and those games work, while some remove the protection but keep most of those loading routines intact.. which crashes the emulator.
Also, a lot of Cracktros might use special hardware tricks on the system which are also hard to emulate.
They might depend on special timins of custom chips, ie.

BTW: Regarding the games that throw you back our of the emulator: Could be that it is related to special chars in the filename? Might be a + in the filename... IK+ throws me out, and the + is not shown in the file browser.
Most of the stuff I tried was cracked so copy protection wasn't the issue.

I have been having a dismal percentage of games that work. For the ones I tried it is about 20% that work :(

DaveC said:
I have been having a dismal percentage of games that work. For the ones I tried it is about 20% that work :(
When I first tried this emu I checked quite a few games.

These work fine:

All Terrain Racing
Apidya
B.C. Kid
Batman - The Movie
Battle Squadron
Bubba 'n Stix
Chaos Engine
Dogs of War
Elite Advanced
Exile
Fire Force
First Samurai
Gods
Heimdall
HeroQuest
Hudson Hawk
Hunter
Hybris
It Came from the Desert
James Pond 2
Leander
Lost Vikings
Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge
Lotus Turbo Challenge II
Metal Mutant
Moonstone
Mr Nutz
Myth - History in the Making
Navy Seals
Neverending Story II
Out Run Europa
Paradroid 90
Risky Woods
Ruff 'n Tumble
Shadow of the Beast I-III
Speedball 2
Stunt Car Racer (standard and TNT)
SuperCars II (<= "AGAfixed" ADF works)
Switchblade II
SWIV
Targhan
Traps 'n Treasures
Turrican I-III
Wings
Wings of Fury
Wrath of the Demon
Yo! Joe!

These don't work:

Assassin Special Edition (EDIT: found working ADFs)
Lionheart
Lotus III - The Ultimate Challenge

So out of 55 tested games 52 worked (94.5%). Seems like I had more luck.

EDIT: Assassin SE works fine, too. So that makes 53/55 games (96.4%).

@silver: Won't look about this weird overclocking-behaviour with Cyclone since there's no need to overclock the Cyclone-version. And when it isn't overclocked (or only slightly overclocked) the sound is perfect.

Note @all: overclocking works fine for the UAE core version. So if the sound stutters at 500MHz - just set the CPU speed to 550 or 600MHz (which isn't even overclocking) until the sound is stable.

DaveC said:
Most of the stuff I tried was cracked so copy protection wasn't the issue.

Point is, each version of the ADF is a different crack - some cracks will work nicely with UAE, some won't. Wish I had my Pandora to help more and point you to working versions...

Maybe we could set up a compatibility list where the TOSEC name of the working ADF(s) is input?

Dunno if that'd be considered illegal though.

This is where having 020 support so we could run WHDLoad installs would be golden! :)

john4p said:
Maybe we could set up a compatibility list where the TOSEC name of the working ADF(s) is input?

Dunno if that'd be considered illegal though.

No, that's not illegal.
You don't provide any roms, just game lists.
You could even include the database into UAE4ALL to mark non-working games as red in the file selector (based on checksum), etc.
We had something similar back at the GP32 / GP2X days with the Atari ST emulator, though it was used to find out what what games were on what compilations, but the basic idea behind it is the same.

Last edited:
jonlad1 said:
@silver: Won't look about this weird overclocking-behaviour with Cyclone since there's no need to overclock the Cyclone-version. And when it isn't overclocked (or only slightly overclocked) the sound is perfect.

Of course, looks like it's not needed anyway - I just found it a really curious symptom.

Great work on sprucing up uae4all....

EvilDragon said:
my coding experience in C/ASM is enough to prod rather than properly poke...
[...]
Great work on sprucing up uae4all...
Thanks. I don't know anything about Assembler (except you're moving the contents of some CPU architecture-specific registers to some other registers). When I see ASM code I wonder how a human being could possibly understand that.

The Pandora has a built in bulk-renamer to get rid of those characters from your roms (Accessories).

Id you don't want to do it on the small screen Advanced Renamer for Windows works very well indeed. It's what I used to rename my adf collection.

Addition V: V-Sync

UAE4All now waits for vertical synch before drawing each frame.
=> Tearing is gone.

Download here: http://www.filefront.com/17084873/uae4all.zip

Btw., here is an example replacement runme.sh: View attachment 450
This sets the CPU speed to 600MHz when you select UAE core + doubled pixels mode and 750MHz when you select softstretch mode (Cyclone&UAE core).
When you exit UAE4All the speed is set back to 500MHz.

When you select Cyclone + doubled pixels mode the CPU speed isn't changed (as 500MHz is fine in most cases).

PokeParadox said:
I recently added code from the wiki to wait for VSYNC before my SDL_Flip and I think it helped... I may just be placebo-ing though.
You weren't imagining things. Works a treat.

john4p said:
PokeParadox said:
I recently added code from the wiki to wait for VSYNC before my SDL_Flip and I think it helped... I may just be placebo-ing though.
You weren't imagining things. Works a treat.
Haha! I'm glad I left the code in Penjin then! It's been sat there on the wiki for ages, nice to know it's not just for RAW framebuffer code.

Back