Unnecesary Keyboard

sefsermak

Still Fresh
This device is cool but the keyboard is just plain unnecessary, making the device larger and even ugly, why not use an on-screen keyboard instead? Come on guys learn from the bigs: Iphone and NDS. I know I will be flamed or hated by the pandora fan boys but the keyborad is one of the reason keeping me from buying this, maybe if they release a Pandora 2.0 without keyboard I will be glad to purchase it.

Developers and people behind pandora: you know your device is wanted, you know this is the device we all wanted since years, but in the looks departament... it just looks like an weir-ugly divice like that NGage thing.

That's all I wanted to say... for now.

I really wouldn't want a laptop, but a very portable multimedia-gamming system fully customizable with tons of emulators and open source... and very small and cool. That would be nice, if I want a laptop I would purchase a netbook. Unfortunately, some cool portable devices like Ipod Touch can't run homebrews or emulators without jailbreaking or hacking or stuff like that, this is where pandora truly leave them behind.

See if you get rid of the keyborad, the unit would be lighter, smaller, cooler and even cheaper looking more like the device it is intended to be: portable multimedia-gaming-customizable system, not a laptop...

SefSermak said:
This device is cool but the keyboard is just plain unnecessary, making the device larger and even ugly, why not use an on-screen keyboard instead? Come on guys learn from the bigs: Iphone and NDS.
That's part of why many of us are here! All those other devices don't have one, but we want one that does.

Besides, Imitating the iPhone or the NDS is a losing game. There's no way in hell that a small company like OP could make a better iPhone than Apple, or a better NDS than Nintendo. Small companies are pretty much forced to do something new and different and not compete with the big boys on their own turf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one noticing an awful lot of "Pandora would be perfect but" threads lately?

On topic, wouldn't the Pandora already be about that size even without the keyboard, or is my memory failing me?

SefSermak said:
See if you get rid of the keyborad, the unit would be lighter, smaller, cooler and even cheaper looking more like the device it is intended to be: portable multimedia-gaming-customizable system, not a laptop...
I doubt the keyboard has an effect on the size of the device. The PCB and the battery are the things that really set the size. Also, without a keyboard how am I supposed to, uh, type? (Not to mention the possibility of a TI-83+ emulator :D)

if you want a Pandora with an onscreen keyboard, why not get one of the many devices that are just that? The Pandora has what it needs to be popular with the people they're targeting. You are not it's target, obviously.

SefSermak said:
Come on guys learn from the bigs: Iphone and NDS. I know I will be flamed or hated by the pandora fan boys but the keyborad is one of the reason keeping me from buying this.

have the "bigs" ever done something right or for the costumers? no, never ever. it was allways for the money. if they had to remove something that would make the console AWESOME just to earn 1 extra dolar then they would do it
and the keyborad is one of the reason why i'm buying this.

Yeah I understand those big companies are unbeatable, and Pandora already IS a better device than NDS or iPhone, and I know imitation is a losing game... but that keyboard... IDK, it is just so innecessary and makes the device more... big and less eye-candy... new devices no longer have keyboards: iphone, ipad, nds, psp go, etc. Guys, I really like the pandora, but here's a small advice from me for Pandora 2.0: get rid of the physical keyboard, there are people that want a physical kbrd with the pandora you say? no prob, make your wonderfull device compatible with some external kbrd and voila!

If you design a very eye-caching device with all this power and linux and homebres pandora already have... you may even compete with the big guys...

Apple II, Apple IIe, and Apple IIc
Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80
Commodore PET
Atari 400/800
TI-99/4
Commodore VIC-20
TRS-80 Color Computer
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A
Sinclair ZX81
BBC Model B
Sinclair ZX Spectrum
MicroBee
Dragon 32
Commodore 64
Acorn Electron
Coleco Adam
MSX
Amstrad CPC464
Elektronika BK-0010
Robotron KC 85/1
Atari ST
Commodore 128
Commodore Amiga
Acorn Archimedes
SAM Coupé

That is all.

SefSermak said:
there are people that want a physical kbrd with the pandora you say? no prob, make your wonderfull device compatible with some external kbrd and voila!
Sorry, that's not a device I'm interested in owning. They would lose me as a customer.

So, what else would they do with all that space on the base of the device? Add 3 more analog nubs?

Well LOL is just my humble opinion, you all like this device cuz its cool and very geeky (no flaming, I am a geek myself), but this design... it will not sell very well among "normal" users, btw idk if the intentions of the pandora is to sell to everybody or just to a selected few... but the pandora is def a powerful device that can even beat those crappy PSPs and NDSs.

calc84maniac said:
So, what else would they do with all that space on the base of the device? Add 3 more analog nubs?

Come on please don't get mad at me, a nice redesing... maybe something like the psp-3000? IDK

Look, keyboards are good. There is a reason that the iPod/iPad/iPhone doesn't have one, and a reason for the Nintendo Dual-Screen as well.
It's because they wanted other things instead.

Apple chose size, and sleekness. Nintendo chose a second screen. We chose power and a keyboard.

So there's a device for everyone, and we liked the Keyboard most.

Back