Unofficial Keyboard Layouts

Rudolph with your nose so bright. Won't you guide my sleigh cursor tonight?
You really got a grudge for this thing... >.>

-God Ginrai
Not really, but I never thought the mouse nub(however strikingly candy colorful) was needed when there's a trackpad below it which could be perfected. Always thought some Thinkpads were dull to look upon when they could be so much more than functional is all. You see opinions vary.  ;)

Not really, but I never thought the mouse nub(however strikingly candy colorful) was needed when there's a trackpad below it which could be perfected. Always thought some Thinkpads were dull to look upon when they could be so much more than functional is all. You see opinions vary.  ;)
While trackpads definitely have many more uses, a trackpoint is much more accurate. Also, the laptop companies can't really "perfect" the trackpad. They get those from Synaptic.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got a Pandora Rebirth and have been using it for a week and a half and I am finding that I love the way the nubs currently emulate mouse controls. Changing the right nub to a scroll wheel functionality is a terrible idea. The screen or d-pad can be used for that.

The biggest layout complaint I have is the lack of a dedicated Tab key, which gets used a lot for jumping fields in forms and, way more importantly, tab completion in the terminal. Maybe the focus is not on linux terminal users, though. :/

Don't know if it has been discussed elsewhere, but the biggest problem with the current keyboard is the glossy material of the keys. The fluorescent lights in my office put such a glare on the keys that I can't even read the blue alternates and I have to keep twisting the Pandora around to move the glare on the keys to find stuff since the layout isn't what I am used to. As long as matte plastic is used for the keys, I can compromise on key layout a little. The glare is a big problem, though.

As to the topic of the Thinkpad nub, I was a hater before I used one on a daily basis long enough to get used to it. Now, I buy old Thinkpads instead of new ones for the better nub and real buttons. The new all-in-one trackpad is garbage.

The biggest layout complaint I have is the lack of a dedicated Tab key, which gets used a lot for jumping fields in forms and, way more importantly, tab completion in the terminal. Maybe the focus is not on linux terminal users, though. :/
You should be able to just thumb the Fn-Space w/ your right thumb and it should work just like a dedicated tab key.

-God Ginrai

Don't know if it has been discussed elsewhere, but the biggest problem with the current keyboard is the glossy material of the keys. The fluorescent lights in my office put such a glare on the keys that I can't even read the blue alternates and I have to keep twisting the Pandora around to move the glare on the keys to find stuff since the layout isn't what I am used to. As long as matte plastic is used for the keys, I can compromise on key layout a little. The glare is a big problem, though.

It is very probable that the Pyra will have a dedicated Tab key. Also the glare problem is well-known and will most certainly be improved.

I finally got a Pandora Rebirth and have been using it for a week and a half and I am finding that I love the way the nubs currently emulate mouse controls. Changing the right nub to a scroll wheel functionality is a terrible idea. The screen or d-pad can be used for that.

As was stated, there's more than enough keys now so we'll have a dedicated Tab key, and I do think the Pandora was made for Linux terminal users with it's semi-unconventional keyboard layout. For the nubs and mouse navigation, it should be up to the user to decide how the nubs will function. Some here want mouse navigation using the surrounding buttons for left, right, and middle click while others would rather use the tried and true "clutch" method of West, North, East with the right nub for mouse clicks. It's all preference.

As to the topic of the Thinkpad nub, I was a hater before I used one on a daily basis long enough to get used to it. Now, I buy old Thinkpads instead of new ones for the better nub and real buttons. The new all-in-one trackpad is garbage.
I'm not saying it doesn't work well but I do think it's a redundant carryover from older models. I can't speak for Lenovo's newer trackpads, but my Macbook Pro has a sublimely perfect one under OSX or Bootcamp. B)

I wonder how much board space a Thinkpad style mouse nub would have to take up.  On the Pandora I often find that my mouse movement nub has been disabled by some game or other software error or an improper exit, and I have to use the keyboard (which isn't always easy in these settings menus) or the touchscreen (gross) to go turn off joystick mode again.  If there were also a tiny rubber nub dedicated to mouse movement then I at least would feel a little more in control while the joystick nub settings were following something else's directions, or if I'd rather both joystick nubs for precision scrolling,  or I could switch out of a game that doesn't release the joystick nubs in such an instance and still do other things, I'll be multitasking a lot more on the Pyra than I do on the Pandora.  The nub should be styled like a tiny pink paw print though, for office environments.

What's so gross about using a touchscreen? That's what it's for...

-God Ginrai

>complain about IBM thinkpad features

>wonder why lenovo doesnt go full chinkpad

>complain about german design

>have a macbook

I dont even.

Edit:

>whats so gross

>using a touchscreen

absolutely disgusting

On a serious note,

The problem with touchsreen other than monkey arm, which doesnt apply here, is that in the default typing position the thumbs can only reach the bottom of the screen in each corner.

Also when you use a touchscreen you cant see through your fingers.  Whats good about a touchscreen opposed to a keyboard is that the buttons can be made bigger and smaller, only feature whats needed, and have animations, colour and sound plus random position.

Edit2: synaptics makes the touch layes for touchscreens too http://www.synaptics.com/en/press-releases/synaptics-powers-industrys-first-full-high-definition-cell-touchscreen-l.php

I wonder how much board space a Thinkpad style mouse nub would have to take up.  On the Pandora I often find that my mouse movement nub has been disabled by some game or other software error or an improper exit, and I have to use the keyboard (which isn't always easy in these settings menus) or the touchscreen (gross) to go turn off joystick mode again.  If there were also a tiny rubber nub dedicated to mouse movement then I at least would feel a little more in control while the joystick nub settings were following something else's directions, or if I'd rather both joystick nubs for precision scrolling,  or I could switch out of a game that doesn't release the joystick nubs in such an instance and still do other things, I'll be multitasking a lot more on the Pyra than I do on the Pandora.  The nub should be styled like a tiny pink paw print though, for office environments.
Instead of a third method for cursor navigation, I was thinking why hasn't some companies R&D come up with a way for the spacebar to become mouse movement and perhaps mouse clicks. For movement, the bar could be modestly enlarged/slightly elongated for gesturing(and tap to clicks?). Tactile right, middle, and left mouse buttons could be integrated on the far right, exact center, and far left of the spacebar(which looks like any other spacebar out there). The then unused portion of the spacebar, where our thumbs interact normally with it, would be for the basic classic cursor movement we're used to. If multiple sensors were under the bar to read where contact was made, then I see this as possible down the road. -_-

I know it's again overthinking(better than underthinking) but if the spacebar on the Pyra had a robust and very mild wobble to it for right and left mouse clicks, then... :)

On a serious note,

The problem with touchsreen other than monkey arm, which doesnt apply here, is that in the default typing position the thumbs can only reach the bottom of the screen in each corner.

Also when you use a touchscreen you cant see through your fingers.  Whats good about a touchscreen opposed to a keyboard is that the buttons can be made bigger and smaller, only feature whats needed, and have animations, colour and sound plus random position.

Edit2: synaptics makes the touch layes for touchscreens too http://www.synaptics.com/en/press-releases/synaptics-powers-industrys-first-full-high-definition-cell-touchscreen-l.php
That still doesn't explain why using the touchscreen is bad for the simple task of re-enabling mouse input on the nubs.

-God Ginrai

Instead of a third method for cursor navigation, I was thinking why hasn't some companies R&D come up with a way for the spacebar to become mouse movement and perhaps mouse clicks. For movement, the bar could be modestly enlarged/slightly elongated for gesturing(and tap to clicks?). Tactile right, middle, and left mouse buttons could be integrated on the far right, exact center, and far left of the spacebar(which looks like any other spacebar out there). The then unused portion of the spacebar, where our thumbs interact normally with it, would be for the basic classic cursor movement we're used to. If multiple sensors were under the bar to read where contact was made, then I see this as possible down the road. -_-

I know it's again overthinking(better than underthinking) but if the spacebar on the Pyra had a robust and very mild wobble to it for right and left mouse clicks, then... :)
First of all, that would quadruple the chances of the "DAMNIT I MOVED THE CURSOR" problem while typing that many experience on a laptop.

Also, how would you just type space?

EDIT: Mods please merge. I thought that it was posted soon enough after my previous post... :\

-God Ginrai

First of all, that would quadruple the chances of the "DAMNIT I MOVED THE CURSOR" problem while typing that many experience on a laptop.

Also, how would you just type space?

EDIT: Mods please merge. I thought that it was posted soon enough after my previous post... :\

-God Ginrai
Most of the downward plunge of the Spacebar on the Pyra would be the "type space" part. The very slight wobble when the bar is pressed toward the edges rather than center would be for left and right click. Different from what we're used to I know. :)

Most of the downward plunge of the Spacebar on the Pyra would be the "type space" part. The very slight wobble when the bar is pressed toward the edges rather than center would be for left and right click. Different from what we're used to I know. :)
That sounds like it would result in a lot of accidental clicks.

-God Ginrai

That sounds like you are moving the nubs with your thumbs, and then having to get off them, when they both are capable to click, to look for mouseclicks somewhere it shouldnt be, in a way it shouldnt be implemented, with buttons that are different and so on

That sounds like it would result in a lot of accidental clicks.

-God Ginrai
Maybe. The Spacebar is two key sizes in one but still tiny.

That sounds like you are moving the nubs with your thumbs, and then having to get off them, when they both are capable to click, to look for mouseclicks somewhere it shouldnt be, in a way it shouldnt be implemented, with buttons that are different and so on
A user would probably move the left nub for cursor movement with their left thumb and click(wobble) the Spacebar with their right thumb. Not the best idea but I applied my thoughts I had when I saw your X1 Carbon's full size keyboard to the Pyra. I still believe the singular use Spacebar on keyboards can do more than it does do given how big it is.

Some updates to the first post.

Shuffled hardware keys for Bluetooth, Video Out, and Internet options and liberated them of their secondary Sym keys.

Moved Print Screen, Scroll Lock, and Pause/Break to vacant Sym + (Y), ( B) , and (X).

Nub#2 retains it's mouse button functionality from the Pandora.

Left = "Left Mouse Click"

Up = "Double Left Click" 

Right = "Right Mouse Click"

Down = "Middle Mouse Click"

So - sim+space = backlit...  is that the backlight for the screen or the keyboard?  Shouldn't there be controls to adjust the -level- of the keyboard backlight and/or the screen?

Back