Unofficial Keyboard Layouts

So - sim+space = backlit...  is that the backlight for the screen or the keyboard?  Shouldn't there be controls to adjust the -level- of the backlight and/or the screen?
Sym + Spacebar is for the keyboard backlight toggle. Assuming there are three levels of luminance, Press Sym then Spacebar for low level, again for mid-level, and a third time for high. The fourth Sym/Spacebar combo returns it to off.

Sym + Up directional is screen brightness up and Sym + Down is screen brightness down.

These are rough ideas of how they might be done though. :)

So - sim+space = backlit...  is that the backlight for the screen or the keyboard?  Shouldn't there be controls to adjust the -level- of the backlight and/or the screen?
Sym + Spacebar is for the keyboard backlight toggle. Assuming there are three levels of luminance, Press Sym then Spacebar for low level, again for mid-level, and a third time for high. The fourth Sym/Spacebar combo returns it to off.

Sym + Up directional is screen brightness up and Sym + Down is screen brightness down.

I had figured the keyboard backlight would have more stages than that and would need +/- of it's own.  Probably unnecessary.

Are the keyboard backlights going to be white only or can we change the colors via software?  Can we control each LED or are they all on a common circuit?  Probably the wrong thread to ask that in.

Don't forget the other keyboard backlight setting - Off.

I had figured the keyboard backlight would have more stages than that and would need +/- of it's own.  Probably unnecessary.

Are the keyboard backlights going to be white only or can we change the colors via software?  Can we control each LED or are they all on a common circuit?  Probably the wrong thread to ask that in.

Don't forget the other keyboard backlight setting - Off.
Keyboard backlighting in my layout will be a four step leveling cycle by Sym + Spacebar. On the fourth Sym + Spacebar backlighting will return to the original off setting. 

ED said somewhere on the forum the backlighting on the Pyra will be from thankfully plain white LED's. B)

Keyboard backlighting in my layout will be a four step leveling cycle by Sym + Spacebar. On the fourth Sym + Spacebar backlighting will return to the original off setting.
Can you go on Raids when the backlight reaches max level? :p

-God Ginrai

What does the "Menu" button do?

Wouldn't it be better to have it on the Space bar?

Sym + Space is one of the best to reach positions on the keyboard.

I think there should be important stuff you want to access often/fast.

Can you go on Raids when the backlight reaches max level? :p

-God Ginrai
Maybe. :ph34r:

What does the "Menu" button do?

Wouldn't it be better to have it on the Space bar?

Sym + Space is one of the best to reach positions on the keyboard.

I think there should be important stuff you want to access often/fast.
The Menu button is the Context Menu key found on most keyboards.

Updated the layout for the umpteenth time.

Renamed software Sym key to Fn key(not quite a Fn key but it comes close to one and is mappable this time).

Placed Keyboard Backlight Keys under Fn + Left and Right Directional. Now all "brightness" keys are in one area of the keymat.

This last part allowed me to move Context Menu to Fn + Spacebar which suits it more than the clunky backlight toggle from before.

Anything I missed which could be added? Fn + (A) = Number Lock?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: szr

Renamed software Sym key to Fn key(not quite a Fn key but it comes close to one and is mappable this time).

Placed Keyboard Backlight Keys under Fn + Left and Right Directional. Now all "brightness" keys are in one area of the keymat.

This last part allowed me to move Context Menu to Fn + Spacebar which suits it more than the clunky backlight toggle from before.

I'm think this is a rather good layout, and yes that could be a good place for Number Lock. Also, is there a compose key that I'm not seeing?

Play at this level, there's no ordinary button menu.

One night with Pyra makes a hackers heart humble.

Can't be too carefull, with the specs sheet.

I can feel dispair sliding up to me.

I'm think this is a rather good layout, and yes that could be a good place for Number Lock. Also, is there a compose key that I'm not seeing?
Thanks szr. 

Compose key mode is the same as on the Pandora: Shift + Enter. With AltGr(and a localized keymap), many non-english users though may never need it.

Thanks szr. 

Compose key mode is the same as on the Pandora: Shift + Enter. With AltGr(and a localized keymap), many non-english users though may never need it.
Thank you for the reply. Is it any shift or just one of them, as this may interfere with programs where Shift + Enter is used for a line feed where just Enter is used to submit or some other function (some messaging apps come to mind.) Maybe AltGr + Enter or Fn + Enter or so might be a better combination for that. I do like that AltGr is there so yeah compose may be less used but there are likely people who prefer it.

We had Compose mode on the Pandora? o.o
Shift-Enter, presumably. Or Fn-Enter, I forget.
Shift-Enter. You guys obviously speak a language that does not require you to enter the occasional ä á à â ë é è ï ö ô œ ç.
I don't see how using FN over shift would make it more difficult to do that. As someone else noted, shift + enter has known uses in certain apps that this would prevent. I thought the whole point was to avoid clobbering common and known keyboard shortcuts as much as possible?

fn is a junk button without any designated use. If people have their buttons they can do whatever it is they want to do. When people look at a keyboard the first thing they think of is "can i do that thing i do" and if its slightly off its dvorak to you and me.

If everything is there i suppose everyone can get along. Is the right shift, right ctrl  and maybe even altgr useful buttons?

We had Compose mode on the Pandora? o.o
Shift-Enter, presumably. Or Fn-Enter, I forget.
Shift-Enter. You guys obviously speak a language that does not require you to enter the occasional ä á à â ë é è ï ö ô œ ç.
I don't see how using FN over shift would make it more difficult to do that. As someone else noted, shift + enter has known uses in certain apps that this would prevent. I thought the whole point was to avoid clobbering common and known keyboard shortcuts as much as possible?
Fn or shift makes no difference in difficulty -- in my remark I was referring to the fact that they didn't know where it was on the Pandora even though they are regular Pandora users.

For the Pyra I would prefer to have a dedicated compose key, or at least a key that can be easily mapped to one (e.g. right shift).

And indeed, it would be better if shift-enter can still be used.

Fn or shift makes no difference in difficulty -- in my remark I was referring to the fact that they didn't know where it was on the Pandora even though they are regular Pandora users.
Never knew it was like that on the Pandora either :p
And indeed, it would be better if shift-enter can still be used.
That is a rather weak statement. In my opinion, any keyboard that is blocking the shift-enter combination is utterly useless.

Back