Unofficial Keyboard Layouts

I meant something using http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com or a drawn mockup.

Ascii laid out in 4 different views is hard to mentally condense into one, i find.
I know what you asked but sorry I find that editor a bit dull; it's joyless to look upon. If it helps you process, I suggest observing only the "screen" portion and the "Fn" field and ignoring the other two which are relatively static. 

I know it makes me biased but I love your design :) .

BTW: I checked the Shift + Enter.

Seems like it's left and right on LibreOffice..

Please put it in Here as I don't want to get your layout overlooked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revised v1 and v2 layouts. A hybrid layout, called v3, joins the fray. See first post for exhaustive write-up. Be nice. :D   

Cleaned up some of the text and pictures on the first post. Much more readable.  :)

Second update of the day. Another Hybrid v2 layout with spacebar placed to the right like on the Pandora. All the other benefits explained on the first post with v1 are optioned still.  :)

Also somewhat like where mrpalmtop in this post put the spacebar.

I don't like it.

The Number Keys are a must have in my opinion.
True but remember this and the other gazillion layout threads are unofficial. Think of them as scratchpads and nothing more. I wouldn't want to lose the numbers either, but I could live with them under Fn for more symbols as primary(only without moving the alphabet to the left edge like in the uncentered example, which would be terrible). My first choice was always the centered layouts, which is why they introduce the opening post.  ;)

From your end, how's the official keyboard layout progressing? Anything need solving?  

I wouldn't want to lose the numbers either, but I could live with them under Fn for more symbols
I almost died as I saw it ;) .

From your end, how's the official keyboard layout progressing? Anything need solving?
No layout is discussed here.

Simply remember that thre will be no Fn.

The modifier will be software, mist likely AltGr.

So if you use the D-Pad for brightness remember it will most likely be AltGr + Arrow.

I don't know it will interfere with anything common but please remember it.

I wouldn't want to lose the numbers either, but I could live with them under Fn for more symbols
I almost died as I saw it ;) .
Please don't die. We need you here.  :)

Do you like centered v1 or centered v2 more?

No layout is discussed here.

Simply remember that thre will be no Fn.

The modifier will be software, mist likely AltGr.

So if you use the D-Pad for brightness remember it will most likely be AltGr + Arrow.

I don't know it will interfere with anything common but please remember it.
Oh, I see. I labeled the modifier "Fn" in name only but I was under the impression it was Meta internally as ED said. 

Really hard to say.

For me v2 makes more sense as the {[]} are in one line and /I\_ are in one line as well.

Which one is easier to type with can only be said when holding the Pyra case in hands (won't be happen within the next days).

Really hard to say.

For me v2 makes more sense as the {[]} are in one line and /I\_ are in one line as well.

Which one is easier to type with can only be said when holding the Pyra case in hands (won't be happen within the next days).
Thanks.

Updated the first page. 

1. Moved brightness and key backlighting to top row from where they were with Dpad + Fn(now AltGr). This row uses the Shift key exclusively to modify their base values.
  2. Game controls no longer are changed by the main modifier. Should help with some games.  :)
  3. Diacritics are simpler, more memorable, to do now. 
  4. A few changes to the punctuation. 

I think I've said it before - but you have my favorite of the traditional layouts.

Could the sequence {[]} be []{} ?

I'm having trouble figuring out how to press alt+F4 (close window) without picking the unit up and using a shoulder button.  Since AltGr is used to pull up the F-keys - is there an alternate keyboard button for the shoulder Alt?

I'm having trouble figuring out how to press alt+F4 (close window) without picking the unit up and using a shoulder button.  Since AltGr is used to pull up the F-keys - is there an alternate keyboard button for the shoulder Alt?
I suppose you could press AltGr with your right index finger, then hold Start(Left Alt) down, followed by number 4 with your right finger? How do you handle this with your Pandora?

From limited research, I think AltGr is Left Alt and Right Control translated to scancodes. Interesting.

Correction, it's I believe Left Control and Right Alt. 

I suppose you could press AltGr with your right thumb, then hold Start(Left Alt) with same thumb, followed by number 4 with your right thumb? How do you handle this with your Pandora?

From limited research, I think AltGr is Left Alt and Right Control translated to scancodes. Interesting.

Reaching for Alt+Function Key (and ctrl+Function key) combinations has always struck me as overly cumbersome on the Pandora.  I usually have to either set it down or juggle it sideways to get a finger on top of the keyboard to hold down 2 and press the 3rd button.

I suppose you could press AltGr with your right thumb, then hold Start(Left Alt) with same thumb, followed by number 4 with your right thumb? How do you handle this with your Pandora?

Reaching for Alt+Function Key (and ctrl+Function key) combinations has always struck me as overly cumbersome on the Pandora.  I usually have to either set it down or juggle it sideways to get a finger on top of the keyboard to hold down 2 and press the 3rd button.
Yeah, it's unfortunate five rows of keys cannot fit on the bottom half without shrinking them to rice grain size.  Perhaps Nintendo will let us borrow their new tiny 3DS nubs? I wouldn't want those though.  -_-

I doubt at this point in development there is any chance of changing much on the PCB design.

Back