Unofficial Keyboard Layouts

Forgot to add the alternative mapping for System Request at Fn + PYRA.

Makes it easier for both thumbs to pull off some Magic SysRq commands if placed there.  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That is very interesting, ive actually seen some recent keyboards launched with non-staggered designs.

I dont know how much of it has to do with it being 87 keys in one go. Having your arms grouped isnt the same as having one for each half of a seperated keyboard.

With a two thumb keyboard its basically one thumb for each half, what's more interesting is the heatmap of where the central as opposed to the non-central keys are.

You end up with a windsheild-wiper pattern, imagine both thumbs fixed where you are holding the device going inwards towards the centre.  Ideally you are typing rfv and  okm  all the time where  f  and   o are even more valuable for example. for illustration

These symmetrically mirrored patters are why i think the staggered design actually works for two-thumb. Also the ASDF row is a little more central, same for the ZXCV one.  Thumbs have good reach, and extension in both the X and Y axis.

The idea is to reduce movement from one place to the other to a minimum, and instead utilize as many combos as possible. To have the least amount of total travel possible. Very important with only two thumbs. Typing many keys at once allows that to happen, without lifting off and going from one place to the other (slalom-typing) for no good reason. Yes, some of those flaws may look like a 10-finger board, but it makes it worse for what it is.

Another concern to keep in mind is that one needs a standoff to put the screws coming from underneath in, that has to meet the top side of the case, so the button-rows cannot go all the way to the edge on all rows since the screw cant go through the button.

Also

Nikolaus completely finished the main PCB just before christmas and the PCBs have already been ordered!
from http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/17548-welcome-to-the-decisive-year/

Pretty much sums up that the Keyboard button locations are fixed at the moment.
Although that fixes the pad layout for the button contacts, it does not dictate if or which 2 buttons could/can be used for the space bar - or if it even needs to be 2 buttons.  There are several alternative key layouts proposed that move the space bar or drop it to a 1x1 key instead of a 2x1.

A few minor updates to the layouts. Liked _wb_'s suggestion he made in this post to make the smaller face buttons + and - . 

Reactions: szr
Added version 2's of the layout which are almost identical in punctuation placement to the Pandora's old keyboard. Mostly more of the same that people are used to having on their Pandora.  :)

Also, another "new" way to bring up Caps Lock without giving Shift a Fn value.

I really like the main layout you have on the opening post the most. Also, why exactly is there a "USB On/Off" toggle? Is it for the two type-A ports or the micro/OTG port? I don't think I've ever seen a device where one could just turn off USB before, so I'm wondering in what scenarios such a function might be used? Thanks.

I really like the main layout you have on the opening post the most. Also, why exactly is there a "USB On/Off" toggle? Is it for the two type-A ports or the micro/OTG port? I don't think I've ever seen a device where one could just turn off USB before, so I'm wondering in what scenarios such a function might be used? Thanks.
The Pandora can turn off the regular sized USB port, it saves a considerable amount of power by having it off.

Reactions: szr
The Pandora can turn off the regular sized USB port, it saves a considerable amount of power by having it off.
One of the things I like about the pandora, it just seems so obvious to not have everything on all the time but somehow this doesn't get implemented in other consumer electronics.

@ Saber:

Why don't You use the Fn + Spacebar combination?

It feels like one button on Panodra.

Something important I noticed:

When using Libreoffice Shift and Enter is already used so I couldn't use compose on Pandora Libreoffice.

I would appreciate to have this elsewhere maybe Fn + Space.

@ Saber:

Why don't You use the Fn + Spacebar combination?

It feels like one button on Panodra.

Something important I noticed:

When using Libreoffice Shift and Enter is already used so I couldn't use compose on Pandora Libreoffice.

I would appreciate to have this elsewhere maybe Fn + Space.
Good question. In truth, Fn + Spacebar(and Fn + Backspace) are empty at the moment because luckily I didn't need to fill them with anything. Users may map them to whatever they wish though. It may not matter, but to some extent I felt avoiding Fn values for those popular keys could circumvent any erroneous input commands by the user while under an active Fn sticky. In a way, they provide a safe haven, a cancel to the Fn loop by being null while under it.

Admittedly, I am hesitant to give Tab a Fn value also. With the centered layouts, Tilde could move to Fn + y without being a detriment. It's that on the Pandora we didn't have any choice but to load up every key slot. With the Pyra, we have more breathing room to have Tab, Backspace, Spacebar, Enter, and Menu unreserved.  

In Libreoffice is there no distinction between Left Shift + Enter or Right Shift + Enter? If this is the case, I'm absolutely okay with your suggestion in using Fn + Spacebar for Compose Mode instead of Left Shift + Enter if the latter violates the line break shortcut I think you're referring to(and we can't just have Right Shift + Enter only).   

Thanks. I admit that hadn't occurred to me.

Modest change to the layouts.

1. Compose is now where Askarus suggested it be.  :)
  2. Added a keyboard Sleep mode to Left Shift with Right Shift. Closing the lid can still be configured to Sleep mode too.
For the moment, centered v2 is my personal preference, though I do like it's v1 counterpart which looks more like my laptop's keyboard arrangement. New buyers may be less intimidated by this familiarity.

Centered vs Uncentered

I know a handful of people want an uncentered layout, but I'd rather we keep it close to the Pandora's presentation. I've made examples below to show the remaps as they will be for the "average" Norwegian user to add their å, æ, and ø characters.

First is the v2 layouts at the Fn level before the mandatory changes:

16yY5VJ.png

Next is after the remaps:

5WWUCtt.png

Here the Uncentered layout looks much more like it's Norwegian standard keyboard, but it's at the loss of shifting all letters and vowels one place over to the left side for those who won't be doing these sort of changes. Again, I'm not fond that the "a" is nearer to the edge. Livable but still a minor annoyance. It also took five total remaps since semicolon and colon had to be moved(Tab under Fn isn't counted in the tally here). I admit I do like where Escape is and even Caps Lock. Can't say I'm a fan of Tab's location though in the uncentered one but at least it's a primary key.

Now, moving over to the Centered layout, only three keys were overwritten. Nothing had to move anywhere else. No massive migrations and no relearning by my thumbs for the letters and vowels. In v2 centered, even most of the punctuation stays the same. Shifts seem in their natural places, so does Tab and Spacebar. There's even an abundance of places for other keys to reassign to without touching the standard punctuation symbols(except for Grave which could, though not necessary, be moved onto Fn + y). 

I hope that none of what was said above seems that I am insisting it should be this way or that way. I'm only presenting the scenario and leaving it up to the reader to comprehend the information how they choose to in their own way. In my eyes, all the layouts I've made recently are effective and I've worked on these so all of us can have mostly what we want. Thanks. :)    

Can you make one layout-editor keyboard, its very hard to imagine what the final result will look like now.
Well the final layouts are on the first post of this thread but I haven't narrowed it down to one yet. None of these are the layout but are a fusion of ideas I've had and feedback from other people. Think of them more as supportive advice for Michael to work with. If he and the community favors one entirely over another one then it's his and theirs to have as shown in the completed form. If they like some from column A and some from row C, then they can be changed and tailored as wanted to make the real deal.

All layouts were designed to be fully functional yet are personalizable for the viewer's needs, but are not dependent on any specific feature that they may contain. Brightness and backlight controls at Fn + Dpad, for example, can be put where bluetooth and USB toggle are without disrupting any other parts of the layout. Same with Spacebar on shoulder L2. This could be if technically possible another, albeit limited, Fn(Meta) key without moving something else below.  

Back