Beta Upcoming (Hf5) Firmware Image

Status
Not open for further replies.
GG -- well, thats freaky :) Check your /etc/pandora/conf/eventmap and see if that event is mapped to something; a reflash ought fix you up. Or the button is fubar'd?!

I dunno mate :)

Are you on an old hotfix? On the original firmware, the timing was a little too close, so you had to hit it _really quick_; you can fiddle with timings in the script that it launches .. so look in eventmap to get the script path and then take a look there; it shoudl have an if statement where it says if less than 2s (or 3?) then do thisandsuch, otherwise go to kill menu.

Off top of my head .. op_menu.sh in /usr/pandora/scripts I think?

jeff

Just on a side note. My pandora button has never opened the "start" menu for me. It works fine in minimenu. Also I haven't tried this firmware update yet so I don't know if it has been "fixed" in this release.

My Pandora button only started opening the "Start" menu a couple of days ago, which is pretty typical of how it's behaved so far... PNDs have only just started showing up in the menu too - I thought that the PND auto-discovery was only for minimenu, but three or four days ago they started appearing on the Start menu! And today, the "Documentation" section appeared :)

It's a little weird, what with me having updated to HF4 on the first day I got the thing - but at least it's working fine now.

D.

Pandora button works fine for me as well. Short button press is "start" Long is task manager.

skeezix said:
GG -- well, thats freaky :) Check your /etc/pandora/conf/eventmap and see if that event is mapped to something; a reflash ought fix you up. Or the button is fubar'd?!

I dunno mate :)

Are you on an old hotfix? On the original firmware, the timing was a little too close, so you had to hit it _really quick_; you can fiddle with timings in the script that it launches .. so look in eventmap to get the script path and then take a look there; it shoudl have an if statement where it says if less than 2s (or 3?) then do thisandsuch, otherwise go to kill menu.

Off top of my head .. op_menu.sh in /usr/pandora/scripts I think?

jeff

Can't check it right now, because I sent my Pandora in for RMA. However, I can tell you that the button was not fubar'd, because it worked fine when I used it to exit Mupen64plus and when I used it in combination with the power switch to reset my Pandora.

EDIT: Also, yes, I believe I was on HF 3, but once again, I did not get either the Short press action or the long press action when I pressed the button. I still do not know what the kill menu looks like, because I never was able to pull it up with the Pandora button.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
chris_c had a rant and examples about his issues with SDL+OGLES programs crashing and locking up when you close the lid, but I can't locate it right now.
GLES is another matter, SGX driver is bugged in many ways.

WizardStan said:
I don't know exactly which players are talked about, but you can definitely demonstrate it to yourself with snes9x which I have used. Start a game, wait for some music, close the lid, and note that the music gets really slow. Open the lid and it's fine again. Remove the line that suspends the display, and it no longer slows down when the lid is closed.
Sounds like an app issue then, I guess it's missing vsync error handling or something.

notaz said:
It also turns off power for LCD itself (not backlight), saving something like 40mA. Never heard any sound problems though (short pop at worst due to CPU usage spike).

Just tried it, but that's only happening with TV Out it seems.
Enable TV Out, play some games and close the lid and it stutters and won't display the picture properly on the TV screen.

I can include a check in the lid script to blank only if TV Out is disabled.

Last edited:
notaz said:
GLES is another matter, SGX driver is bugged in many ways.
It wasn't just GLES as he went on to write his own 3D framework, but specifically when using GLES within SDL. Probably an issue with vsync, as you said.

EvilDragon said:
I can include a check in the lid script to blank only if TV Out is disabled.
Check snes9x, I assure you it happens there too, regardless of whether TV out is enabled or not :p
Doesn't stutter, just runs slow, but still a potential issue. The apps can be updated to expect that their display device might suddenly disappear, but I don't think it's really fair to expect them to expect and be prepared to handle a core device shutting down on them. A lot of programs are open source ports from a PC where they didn't need to think about that and there could be a lot of work to change it.

I'm getting some weird stuff. When I just close the lid, the battery life is way better. I lose about 3%/hour, whereas Standby seems much worse now. I'm trying to get a gauge of how much % is left, I'll let you guys know.

Also, I had a weird problem with PSX reArmed, but rebooting seemed to fix it. Really odd.

Phawx said:
I'm getting some weird stuff. When I just close the lid, the battery life is way better. I lose about 3%/hour, whereas Standby seems much worse now. I'm trying to get a gauge of how much % is left, I'll let you guys know.

Also, I had a weird problem with PSX reArmed, but rebooting seemed to fix it. Really odd.

Something potentially amiss with standby (hit power button) here too. Wifi led stays on - don't think this happened before. I've just come back after a few hours standby and the Mouse cursor is frozen - text in already open terminal working, but launching apps - e.g. Nub settings - is failing and leaving empty grey windows across the desktop. I.e I've crashed...

Just powered up from standby and I lost 10% power in 3 hours, which is the same as HF4 for me. The surprising thing is that Standby/closing-lid is now basically the same in terms of energy draw, but just flipping the lid to have the screen turn back on is nice and seems to take just as much power.

I think powering down after booting into the inital build of HF5 ironed out some stuff. Don't know why that would be though.

silver said:
Phawx said:

Something potentially amiss with standby (hit power button) here too. Wifi led stays on - don't think this happened before. I've just come back after a few hours standby and the Mouse cursor is frozen - text in already open terminal working, but launching apps - e.g. Nub settings - is failing and leaving empty grey windows across the desktop. I.e I've crashed...

Hmm, I've since found standby to be better - Wifi LED is now going off etc.... However, I've had another similar crash. I slid the power button to power down, and nothing appeared to happen. I hit it again and the screen blanked, but wifi LED remained on, as above. Brought out of standby - same situation. nubs not working, text input to (already open) terminal ok, but apps not running or hanging. Telling it to shutdown causes it to hang half way through shutdown with the splash screen up.

Any useful logs you want off this situation?

EDIT: Happened twice more in past 24 hours. Seems to happen when kicking to low-power mode, but only sometimes. The giveaway is the wifi LED staying on. I know when I bring it out of standby it will be borked....

Anyone else seeing this? very annoying...

instead of hacking screen-shot capabilities in ourselves would it be possible to add screencapture feature to HF5?
A combination of keys that takes a screen-shot no matter what application your running or which menu you are running: mini menu or full desktop.

Wow, i feel like an idiot.

Make sure your card is formatted FAT32 before you attempt to flash from it. If it's an ext2 card, you'll get a checksum error.

Drack said:
Make sure your card is formatted FAT32 before you attempt to flash from it. If it's an ext2 card, you'll get a checksum error.
That is not a requirement, ext2 has been tested a while ago. You probably haven't synced the card and the file was really corrupted.

Thanks for that tip. My extracted files were indeed corrupted, though I don't know why, as it was freshly formatted ext2 and I always umount or shut down before removing the card. Might just be a bad card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back