update on power draining/low power mode

SNESFAN

Retro game fanatic
is there any update on the power drain in low power mode? what work is being done to suspend to ram? When should we expect a fix for this?

with the new gpSP port I'm finding myself useing the pandora more than I was after I first got it (thanks notaz)

one thing that is still to this day really bugging me is that my phone is lasting days longer whilst in instant-on standby mode than my pandora and the battery on the pandora is significantly larger capacity than my phone.

I know I can turn it off when not in use etc, but what a pain.

It's been what.... 3 years? maybe 2 years in firmware development? Can we get a general estimate on when this will be looked at or fixed? Hate to be a pest, don't mean to troll.... I just see these topics come up from time to time but they always end the same with people stating the problem and saying it's being worked on. But is it really being worked on?

Same, would be great to have instant-on for me because I am starting to use the pandora as a text book reader and i put it in power save while working on a question.

Short answer: it's done when it's done.

Long answer: power management on OMAP3 is incredibly overcomplicated and only latest kernels have somewhat usable support for that, minus pandora specific drivers. Latest kernels do support pandora but have various problems, ranging from broken (OSS) sound to nonworking SD slot 2.

So to have suspend to RAM, kernel has to be upgraded. To upgrade it, problems have to be fixed and drivers updated to support suspend. To fix problems and update drivers, huge amount of time has to be spent on testing and debugging. And that is hard, there is no one to help, there is full-time day job + "real life" stuff to take most of the time, there are much more pleasant and rewarding emulation projects for leftover free time, there is lack of motivation.

Short answer: it's done when it's done.

Long answer: power management on OMAP3 is incredibly overcomplicated and only latest kernels have somewhat usable support for that, minus pandora specific drivers. Latest kernels do support pandora but have various problems, ranging from broken (OSS) sound to nonworking SD slot 2.

So to have suspend to RAM, kernel has to be upgraded. To upgrade it, problems have to be fixed and drivers updated to support suspend. To fix problems and update drivers, huge amount of time has to be spent on testing and debugging. And that is hard, there is no one to help, there is full-time day job + "real life" stuff to take most of the time, there are much more pleasant and rewarding emulation projects for leftover free time, there is lack of motivation.

I thought it might have been just something that hasn't been coded yet... like a module that just wasn't implemented or something like that. Now that you put it like that it makes a lot more sense. I wasn't trying to rush a new kernel be ported/implemented, I didn't realize how much was involved, I appologize.

now hearing that it should work once a newer kernel is implemented is hopeful and it makes a lot more sense when people say "it's comming" because it's just one of many improvements that would take place.I'll shut up now. Thanks!

And I thought, with the new Linux Kernels, everything would be more easy, especialy on the ARM Front. From 3.0 upwards, I heard pure miracles what the new Linux Kernel can do. :rolleyes: Why don't they all just stay by the truth and tell that it never gets easier, only even more complicated. Same for the entire Marketing crap from Texas Instruments or SGX or whatever. It is unfair to offer a Chipset that is so incredible hard to make run well.

I actualy rate a solid Software Base like Kernel and driver much higher than good Emulators and stuff. Because I believe that it is a benefit for everyone if the base works good. After that, you always can start with the "normal" programms and stuff. I'm glad for every Pandora Hotfix and Tweak. It still needs alot IMHo but it gets better since the beginning. :)

So I hope you find more people to help you with that, Notaz. The Linux Community is huge, it just can't be that you are the only one that can do such Kernel Stuff for the Pandora. Offer it as a challenge and maybe we find some people that focus on optimizing the OS and Kernel base of the Pandora. It is an interesting Device, much more interesting than a ordinary PC IMHO. So what do all these Linux Kernel Gurus do the whole Day? Do they all have some kind of ARM allergy, or why is the Linux situation on this field still so poor? :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
So what do all these Linux Kernel Gurus do the whole Day? Do they all have some kind of ARM allergy, or why is the Linux situation on this field still so poor? :wacko:
I know a lot that that have lots of arm experience have moved to android

not to pull the topic away but there's a much bigger user base there, if only there was a way to pool the resources if it were... google is susposed to have a team that their main goal in life is to merge the android branch back with the standard linux kernel

Last edited by a moderator:
So what do all these Linux Kernel Gurus do the whole Day? Do they all have some kind of ARM allergy, or why is the Linux situation on this field still so poor? :wacko:
I know a lot that that have lots of arm experience have moved to android

not to pull the topic away but there's a much bigger user base there, if only there was a way to pool the resources if it were... google is susposed to have a team that their main goal in life is to merge the android branch back with the standard linux kernel

Sounds like bringing Android fully working on the Pandora could solve some Problems. :) Hm, why not. ^^

I think there are many problems involved with porting Android, also who want`s Android vs regular Linux on a Pandora anyways?

Back