Beta Updated Wifi Driver

I'd been avoiding using wireless at all, my connection was so dodgy. Seems much better with this driver, thanks!

And BTW: All three of you are wrong; su stands for "substitute user" (and yes, this is in the man page).

shodan said:
meaning if I had used "su opkg install wl*.ipk" it would have worked too?[..]

No, su is not the same as sudo. 'su' is mainly a command to switch user. If you want to make it behave somewhat as 'sudo' then you have to add a '-c' option, i.e. 'su -c do-something'

It's all in the manpages.

Last edited by a moderator:
zx-81 said:
i still have disconnections but it reconnects itself after few seconds so it's much better than before :D .
Can you take a dmesg log just after that happens?

Here is my log with the "rare" events alongside a crash from chromium about lack of memory :D

As for the disconnects it didn't happen this time. Basically it was the driver no receiving a beacon, the searching several times for the router and finally finding it.
If I'll see it again I'll make sure to log it.
Were I live is not known to have a monster reception (though a WUSB54GR manages 1.7 megabytes a sec when transferring between computers) and that might have been the reason.

Looks good to me, though I have had a pretty solid WLAN experience with my Pandora so far.

Are you going to try to get these drivers in the Hotfix #4 that ED is currently testing, notaz?

notaz said:
zx-81 said:
i still have disconnections but it reconnects itself after few seconds so it's much better than before :D .
Can you take a dmesg log just after that happens?

[ 161.982940] wl1251: rare event: 00010000
[ 213.019134] wl1251: rare event: 01000000
[ 213.518615] wl1251: rare event: 02000000
[ 213.557189] wl1251: rare event: 01000000
[ 213.783813] wl1251: rare event: 02000000
[ 214.455657] wl1251: rare event: 01000000
[ 215.088378] wl1251: rare event: 02000000
[ 228.995086] wl1251: rare event: 00010000
[ 419.874511] wl1251: rare event: 00010000
[ 636.893829] wl1251: rare event: 00010000
[ 659.221862] wl1251: rare event: 00010000

Cheers Notaz, I havent had a single disconnect since last night. Speed still poor for me sub 50kb/s so time to mess with router settings.

Thanks Notaz! Looks great so far, can also reconnect without issue. Performed an internet "Mobile Speed Test" 779kbit/sec.

EDIT: adding this was testing with a 1MB file

jeekl said:
God Ginrai said:
shodan said:
another lesson learned. sudo means super-user ^^

You learned your lesson wrong. su means super-user; sudo means "do as super-user."

No, you're both wrong. su means switch user, with the default case being to root. sudo means do as another user, with the default being do as root.

Read the man-pages.
You would be both right on the money.

Look at this wiki page: su wiki

It means substitute user (or switch user), but was originally meant to be "super user".

Works really well for me. Connection drops are way down too, Usually my connection would give out 3 to 4 times in an hr but with the new driver it only dropped once. Reconnect also works as described. Great job!

mrdremel said:
jeekl said:
God Ginrai said:
shodan said:
another lesson learned. sudo means super-user ^^

You learned your lesson wrong. su means super-user; sudo means "do as super-user."

No, you're both wrong. su means switch user, with the default case being to root. sudo means do as another user, with the default being do as root.

Read the man-pages.
You would be both right on the money.

Look at this wiki page: su wiki

It means substitute user (or switch user), but was originally meant to be "super user".

w00t. :)

-God Ginrai

Much improved - remained connected all day, and did manage to auto connect after coming back in range at home this evening. Rare events are not reproducable today (low battery meant loosing yesterday's log, and a reboot)

I too confirm that the driver keeps a very stable connection now after periods of an entire night (no WPA2 password confirmation) and on use, so that issue seems gone.

the connecion is very good now not had a single disconnec yes since installing the driver update but the speed issues are still present hope you can track that bug down :)

Alerino said:
we should be looking into the different usage scenarios (provider, bandwidth, router, filesize etc) or wait for the non transistor-fixed boards
I myself am not having constant wifi issues, i get download rates up to 1MB/s average at 700 kB in a 10 mbps network
Aren't those to be only the first 200 or so?
I agree there is a difference, I had a very early unit which crapped out with its lcd cable that had piss poor wifi, with speeds around 20 kb/s or less with constants disconnects. My new unit has better performance, around 50 and 100, with sometimes boosts of 400 kb/s (around my maximum speed) and used to keep the connection much longer, which is much more bearable (specially so with the new driver).
Too bad the case serial number is not sequential, next batch should have them sequential so to help when did the unit come from.

Back