Usb Circuit Design

nubie

Recovering Jerk-A-Holic
Website
Visit site
I would like to gather response to having a header, or solder pads (just a pair of test pads that could have connection cut between them, or an SMD jumper removed) on the USB.

My thinking goes as such:

There is a thread on expresscard, the consensus is that people don't want hanging thumbsticks on their beautiful machine.

I agree. The solution is to have USB 2.0 internal upgrade-ability.

I think the logical place is in the lid, two discreet bumps could hide a couple naked USB sticks and a mini-hub.

To make this easier we would need to cut the USB on the motherboard, run it into the lid (4 wires), connect to a hub, then run back to the USB socket (2 wires).

This isn't hard per se, but if we had a couple "test pad" solder points in the middle of the line to the USB socket, and/or a removable SMD jumper, then the upgrade would go smoothly.

Ideally we could have the jumper in the lid, with the wires pre-run or once the idea catches on we could have this be part of the Pandora, integrated 2x lid mounted USB (most hubs are 4-port, the Bluetooth dongle could just be soldered in and 2x USB ports on the lid, in addition to the back port still functioning). Obviously a switch to cut the hub would be nice, if it was a software switch that would be cool too.

I am just asking if the circuit designers have anything like this in mind, or if it would be possible to slightly modify the circuit (or if it is already possible on the current board revision).

Bump, I want people to see this, any thoughts from the hardware hackers?

It is pretty much a given, but if it is easy enough to implement now, in this board revision, then when/if the lid ever gets updated (simpler), then the board supports it already. Maybe a couple control lines and blank logic switch pads to facilitate software hub/back port switching (the hub would pass through one port back to the regular USB port on the back).

This possibly the easiest mod with the greatest payoff (look at the Eee crowd), and is entirely possible without factory support, but much much easier with.

If there are 2 or 3 USB sockets, and they have solder pads, that would be fine too (just please leave a space for the termination circuit, AKA solder pads for that too, or have termination installed.)

Thanks, I know there is a lot going on with sourcing, always tough.

Back