Usb Termination Ics

BenScar

What does this do again?
Website
Visit site
Hello there,

A while ago nubie mentioned a lovely little IC (specifically the USBDFxxW5), for terminating the output of the USB and making it useable. (mentioned here)
It is tiny, I mean 2.2mm x 1.35mm x 1.1mm and I'd like to have a play with it and my 2x...
Now this would be a lot easier if I knew anywhere in the UK that was selling them!

I've tried Googling it, asking in Maplins (that was worth the trip...) and asking a couple of electronics people I know and they've looked at me blankly...

So, does anyone know where in the UK I can get my hands on these little ICs?

Thanks to anyone who can help!
Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought USB just required a 44 ohm termination, which means you should be able to use a couple of resistors rather than the IC that you can't find (along with the mandatory stabilising caps of course).

I've tried it that way, as per the Wiki but I was thinking about making it internal... At least I was thinking about it.

As you rightly say, could do it with discreet components but I want something new to try and those would be a challenge :)

rokdcasbah said:
i think you mean "discrete"...in this case using resistors rather than IC would be the non-discreet method :p
:unsure: Spelling never was my strong point but yes, that's what I meant :D
One tiny little IC rather than than a 3/4 component res/cap combo to do the same thing.

rokdcasbah said:
i think you mean "discrete"...in this case using resistors rather than IC would be the non-discreet method :p
I would have thought a couple of 0402 resistors would be discrete enough :p

Squidge said:
rokdcasbah said:
I would have thought a couple of 0402 resistors would be discrete enough :p

you almost got me with this...i was about to say "it's all relative"...you tricky bastard...

anyway my suggestion is to somehow use surface-mount resistors, then you can make it both discreet and discrete :D

Back