Use a monitor with the pandora?

Why would you want to go crazy with all those converters when you can just hook up a Philips S-line, 54,6 cm (21,5"), USB-monitor (221S3UCB)? It has power and video via one single USB cable, and with the right drivers it should work out of the box. It costs about 175 euro.
I simply didn't know about it. Plus it doesn't have any other ports, so it'll gets completly useless if the usb tirck dosen't work (at least if you didn't running any Windows, as I do)

Why would you want to go crazy with all those converters when you can just hook up a Philips S-line, 54,6 cm (21,5"), USB-monitor (221S3UCB)? It has power and video via one single USB cable, and with the right drivers it should work out of the box. It costs about 175 euro.

It consumes 9 Watt according to that website, which is the max power you can get from 2 USB ports if they both give you the max USB2 power, which is 900mA at 5V. The Pandora USB port gives only 500mA, so that's not nearly enough. Even if you could get that much juice out of the battery that fast, it would drain the Pandora battery in less than two hours, assuming the Pandora doesn't use any power itself.

Pumping video out via USB on the Pandora, assuming you get it running, is also likely to be 'choppy' at best. Maybe the newer units would cope better, but it'd still be a big drain on resources for the facility.

A USB 2.0 hub with a separate power connection delivers all the juice you need considering the necessary USB power. Although it will affect the CPU/GPU/memory because video needs to be transferred over USB. Theoretically it's 60 MB/s at best, but in real life it's more like 30 MB/s or something like that. I don't know what the Pandora is capable of regarding it's build-in USB port... If the connection is of high enough quality it should be possible.

Would be best if the Pandora could detect the monitor while booting and automatically disable the internal LCD, to save CPU/GPU/memory resources.

If you want to use a desktop monitor you'll need a power connection anyway, so you might as well use everything at your disposal.

Last edited by a moderator:
its not really the bandwith (well, its the bandwith that create the issue i suppose), but the cpu used by those usb vga adapters (which is essentially whats built in in the monitor refered earlier) Those are designed with laptop/desktop in mind, which mean decent ammount of power, and at least dual core cpu in the 1.5-2ghz+.

Back