Using a Pyra as a 4g modem?

You are lucky if in your company in your country can offer $20 for unlimited data.

Is it really unlimited or does it has some limitation?

In my country only 2 companies offer flat-rate data but it much more expensive and it has some limitations (for example you can't use too much P2P).

It is actually a full second sim that costs me $20 on my plan. I make it appear that the data is coming from the phone with a creative use of IPtables/mangle and selective APN use in conjunction with an OpenWRT router for on-the-fly modification.

Morally and ethically I am paying for unlimited voice/data and I am using unlimited voice/data so I don't see anything wrong with getting around their restrictions regarding which devices I use the data on.

It is unlimited in that I have used terabytes with no further charges. It is somewhat limited in that I can (but dont necessarily) experience slower speeds once I pass the 50GB threshold but it is very usable even then.

Last edited:
5G is a hype wagon. Range is measured in hundreds of feet with line of sight. Won't pass well through walls, ......

Personally, I don't care much if my phone's data rate gets any faster than it is now. I have 5Ghz WiFi pretty much everywhere with 2.4Ghz back fill secondary networks for when I'm too far from the router. What I use of truly mobile data is while driving for nav or looking something up while out and about. 4G works fine for that.

I must add that it seems you could be confused.

5G means "5th generation" (as "2G, 3G, 4G" mean 2/3/4 generation). 5G doesn't mean "ONLY functions on 5GHz band" :)

For example in my country we must tune DVB-T again because 700 MHz band, used actually for television, will be used for 5G comms. I suppose you know actually 3G cell phones can use for example 900, 1700 and 2100 MHz bands, higher freq than 700 Mhz band

In other words: 5G will use very high freq, but also much lower freq (like for example 700 MHz band), lower than freq actually used for 3G/4G coms. Obviously 700 MHz signal will penetrate walls/etc and will have bigger range.

If you would believe 5G coms only works on 5 GHz band, it is reasonably you could think it is hype for a long time.

Last edited:
5G is not the issue.
You can simply replace the motherboard with one that has a new modem and antennas installed.
It's even cheaper than the CPU board AFAIK as the SOC and RAM and emmc are the expensive parts.
And replacing the motherboard is as simple as replacing the CUP board.

USB-C on the other hand is the real issue.
Micor USB will disappear rather sooner than later.
Then we're in the same situation as the Pandora was: It's the only device with the old USB connector and I have to carry some extra cables and adapters with me.
Upgrading the Connector requires a case AND Motherboard redesign.

I have enough microusb cables to last 20 years, so no worries there.
I used to have enough to last even longer, but it turned out they're all most too short or have developed patchy behaviour. But that's what you get when you reuse thin-arsed cabled provided with everything you've bought for the last ten years. The cables I've actually bought with my own money (apart from the PSP-charge-and-go cables which are similarly janky when new even) have thus far (touch wood) stayed the course though.

I allways carry a Roll On Cable whit multiple Adapters whit me : Micro USB, USB C and Lightning..
So the Micro USB is for my Small Flashlight, the EBook Reader and it will be useful for the Pyra..
So the USB C is only for the Switch Lite and the GPD Win (for charging)
So i have cables for everything in my EDC expect of a Charging Cable for the Pandora..
i also carry a smal USB 3 Hub (works allready whit the Pandora) and a small Mouse)
Im fine whit the USB Ports of the Pyra, as long they Work whit every USB Plug unlike the Port on the Pandora..

By the way: Noticed, when I put the USB3 Hub not exactly accurate in my Pandora USB Port, the Display gets dimmer, is this normal??
At least it’s works when it’s inserted correctly..

Cable to use the Pyra as a high speed device/storage target for a USB C phone or laptop.
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VCCQVBN

Someone please write a tool/app for the Pyra to make it appear as a USB hub with both SD slots, the microSD, both USB 2.0 ports and maybe even the eMMC as "ports"?
If not that, then a widget to let us pick which storage gets targeted when the microUSB 3.0 OTG port is used in device mode?

The Pandora already had a setting where you could make the filesystem appear under mass storage mode if you connected it to a computer using its usb micro port I think. It probably used the Gadget API but I'm not sure.

You are correct. I have used it when I didn't have access to an SD card reader/writer

Is it really unlimited or does it has some limitation?
In Netherlands, the "unlimited" ones lower bandwidth once you are past a certain amount of GB's.

Morally and ethically I am paying for unlimited voice/data and I am using unlimited voice/data so I don't see anything wrong with getting around their restrictions regarding which devices I use the data on.
The restrictions on devices/tethering for cheap "unlimited" plans are so that most people won't use a lot of data in practice. By getting around the restrictions, you're using a lot more data than what you would use on just the restricted device.

The restrictions on devices/tethering for cheap "unlimited" plans are so that most people won't use a lot of data in practice. By getting around the restrictions, you're using a lot more data than what you would use on just the restricted device.

Not true at all. I use tons of data right on my phone. I run into deprioritization often on the nontether phone.

Regardless I still pay for unlimited data....

5G is not the issue.
You can simply replace the motherboard....

USB-C on the other hand is the real issue.
Micor USB will disappear rather sooner than later.

It is great we can replace motherboard, but I think comms module in daughter card would have been great because you don't need to change motherboard, and you don't need 3 motherboards in production (one without 4G, other with EU/int 4G and other with US 5G). Of course it is late for changing so now the only solution will be changing motherboard.

On other side micro-USB isn't going to disappear: there are tons and tons of gadgets using micro-USB.

We update our smartphones every few years (but we are doing it more slowly each time, while years ago we bought a new smartphone every 1-2 years), but there are tons of gadgets with micro-USB we don't change/update in a lot of years.

And Pyra has a big battery. I suppose we won't be as electrical thirsty like we are with some smartphones :)

My smartphone has USB-C and I carry an adaptor USB-C to micro-USB so I can charge my smartphone and all other devices using micro-USB. I will replace my smartphone for other much before I replace the other devices/gadgets using micro-USB.

It is great we can replace motherboard, but I think comms module in daughter card would have been great because you don't need to change motherboard, and you don't need 3 motherboards in production (one without 4G, other with EU/int 4G and other with US 5G). Of course it is late for changing so now the only solution will be changing motherboard.

The modem is much thicker than the SOC and RAM.
There would be no space to mount it on a separate board AFAIK

In Netherlands, the "unlimited" ones lower bandwidth once you are past a certain amount of GB's.

It will be good or not depending how much they lower bandwidth and HOW they lower it.

With a lot of normal tariffs you had xx GB data at full speed, and after that they lowered speed a lot of without limiting data, only speed. Some ones lowered speed for example to 128 kbps (others to 64 or even lower), and the problem was not low speed but that it was going like boost to full speed a moment and then stop for other much longer moment, so that mean speed was 128 kbps, but you had so many time it was stopped that you lost internet comms. It was really annoying.

If you have stable speed at lower bandwidth, even if it is really slow, you have no problem, but if it runs on boost-stop phases it is a pain.
Post automatically merged:

The modem is much thicker than the SOC and RAM.
There would be no space to mount it on a separate board AFAIK

I think it wold not run on top of motherboard like CPU, but on a side where there is no motherboard. If you look at actual motherboard you will see modem/etc is on a side, is a part of motherboard. Simply it is like if you cut motherboard in two parts separating modem part from the rest of motherboard.

Last edited:
There's a keyboard on the other side of the board. You can't simply cut and rejoin that.
If you have stable speed at lower bandwidth, even if it is really slow, you have no problem, but if it runs on boost-stop phases it is a pain.
Presuambly on a real pyra we'll be able to tell the modem to drop to UMTS speeds or even HSPA+ speeds if we want to. I'm not sure whether we'll be able to tell it to drop HSPA+ and go back to plain GPRS speeds, but I'm not sure if such extreme slowness is even needed these days.

Back