Using external device as monitor for pyra.

I know. But if one needs a bigger screen for office work I like the Display Link screen.
^ Well if the OMAP5 is chosen it's capable of multiple digital outputs ( I believe four if I read the spec sheets right, one of which is HDMI 1.4a complaint). If we can have HDMI, I don't see the need of Display Link unless you want to go dual screens. Edit (I guess Triple screen if you count the Pyra screen)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know. But if one needs a bigger screen for office work I like the Display Link screen.
^ Well if the OMAP5 is chosen it's capable of multiple digital outputs ( I believe four if I read the spec sheets right, one of which is HDMI 1.4a complaint). If we can have HDMI, I don't see the need of Display Link unless you want to go dual screens. Edit (I guess Triple screen if you count the Pyra screen)
It is important.

I  reality in University looks like that:

HDMI capable projectors but only VGA cables are available.

So if you want to do some presentation you either have to get an HDMI to VGA converter or a DisplayLink device which is capable to give Analog output.

OMAP 5 should be powerful enough to display at least some animated presentations at 768 x 1024.

That's my main concern why I want Display Link.

Why not just use a HDMI to VGA adapter? Those are easy enough to find. And I don't think that VGA cables will be a reality for much longer, I think DP and/or HDMI will be the default very soon.

Did a quick search.

Didn't know those cables are available for such a small price and need no external power.

Then they are better than Display Link for VGA Monitors.

And I don't think that VGA cables will be a reality for much longer, I think DP and/or HDMI will be the default very soon.
You're wrong here.

University and School is very slow.

Do you really think they'll buy HDMI cables for every class room?

Also we have knowledge about cables and connectors.

Most of the students in my class would be pretty confused if they wouldn't find a VGA cable.

Do you know what we used at school?

In biology we used film tapes.

No video cassettes but those old films.

Trust me: Development here is really slow.

Sure, things are slow to change. But soon it will be hard to buy a new laptop that still has VGA output, so at some point they'll have no choice -- either they change the cables, or they put adapters everywhere, but somehow people will need to connect their HDMI or DP laptop to the beamer.

^ the t430 should have mini-displayport which can give you hdmi/dvi through relatively cheap adapters.

they do? Hmm... interesting... thanks for that will check that out...

I was wondering about the possibility of three options that are per se available: Internal Display, dedicated digital output (HDMI/DP/...) and video out through a MHL "capable" USB port.
My relatively new Thinkpad T430 has VGA only.
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/DisplayPorthttp://content.hwigroup.net/images/products/xl/156408/9/lenovo_thinkpad_t430_n1xh2uk.jpg (second view from the top)

I was wondering about the possibility of three options that are per se available: Internal Display, dedicated digital output (HDMI/DP/...) and video out through a MHL "capable" USB port.
I only skimmed the spec sheet.. perhaps one of the guys that spent more time in the spec sheet could say for sure. I'd say it's possible, it's just a matter of will it require expensive(cost and room on the PCB) additional components to pull it off.. it sounds like HDMI 1.4a is a given without additional components( but like I said I only skimmed the spec sheet).

Sure, things are slow to change. But soon it will be hard to buy a new laptop that still has VGA output, so at some point they'll have no choice -- either they change the cables, or they put adapters everywhere, but somehow people will need to connect their HDMI or DP laptop to the beamer.
But what will you do if you want to use more than one external monitor?

Is there a way to get 2 x Full HD out of one mini HDMI port and use it as dual screen setup?

Is there a way to get 2 x Full HD out of one mini HDMI port and use it as dual screen setup?
In theory, yes. The OMAP5 supports HDMI version 1.4a so, it could theoretically output 3840×2160 which is 2x 1920x1080. I know of Displayport-Adapters that can split the output on to two HDMI connectors, but I do not know if there is an HDMI to 2x HDMI adapter. But we are gamers, so maybe a combo is giving us the adavantage (hope you don't mind the pun): MiniHDMI to Displayport + Displayport to 2x HDMI.

MiniHDMI to Displayport
Please show me some micro hdmi to Display Port.

Also will this combo work for 2 different screens (not cloned screens).

DisplayLink is superior for that use case.

You may use up to 6 displays (even if that'll be slow I think)

Please show me some micro hdmi to Display Port.

Also will this combo work for 2 different screens (not cloned screens).
After reading through the wikipedia articles about HDMI and Displayport, I guess while you could surely rig up some weird adapter combo to go from micro hdmi to Display port, the multistream ability would get lost in the way. As far as I did understand it, only DP allows multiple video streams, so the solution strigoi found would probably be the only option - I think.

DisplayLink is superior for that use case.

You may use up to 6 displays (even if that'll be slow I think)
With no real chance that we get a DP port on the Pandora, I have to agree.

I dont have a 6 screen workplace just because i was too lazy to buy all the screens.

I hope, i will soon finish it.

And i would like pyra to have the maximum amount, and better, all microHDMI.

In theory, yes. The OMAP5 supports HDMI version 1.4a so, it could theoretically output 3840×2160 which is 2x 1920x1080. I know of Displayport-Adapters that can split the output on to two HDMI connectors, but I do not know if there is an HDMI to 2x HDMI adapter. But we are gamers, so maybe a combo is giving us the adavantage (hope you don't mind the pun): MiniHDMI to Displayport + Displayport to 2x HDMI.
3840 x 2160 which is being sold as QUAD HD. is actually 2 x 1920 AND 2 x 1080 giving you 4 x 1920x1080 screen size....

3840 x 2160 which is being sold as QUAD HD. is actually 2 x 1920 AND 2 x 1080 giving you 4 x 1920x1080 screen size....
Maybe I'm wrong here, but as far as I know, the max output for a display over HDMI is a 3840 x 2160 resolution.Leaving my problems with reading specs aside, the problem here is, that HDMI does not support more than one video stream per physical connection.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but as far as I know, the max output for a display over HDMI is a 3840 x 2160 resolution.Leaving my problems with reading specs aside, the problem here is, that HDMI does not support more than one video stream per physical connection.
Thats the software problems. You can always send the stream as a single screen, and let it then be cut into 2 streams by a special device.We can start making those devices if there is any need actually. They should be damn cheap.

Back