Using external device as monitor for pyra.

So has there been anymore development on this topic? I'm am looking into to getting a easy to take with me screen that I can hook the Pyra up to when I get it.
I found that the onces for Raspberry pi looks pretty nice https://www.sunfounder.com/10-1-inch-hdmi-lcd.html
however the stand don't fold in so it's harder to take with me. I would have to take them off and have my own stand with me. Preferably I would need one that has a HDMI input so it's easy to hook up and that folds together kinda like how tablets can do now with those soft cases.

The Pyra has an HDMI port, you can just plug in a monitor...

This topic is about using other devices as monitors, like tablets and such.

So has there been anymore development on this topic? I'm am looking into to getting a easy to take with me screen that I can hook the Pyra up to when I get it.
I found that the onces for Raspberry pi looks pretty nice https://www.sunfounder.com/10-1-inch-hdmi-lcd.html
however the stand don't fold in so it's harder to take with me. I would have to take them off and have my own stand with me. Preferably I would need one that has a HDMI input so it's easy to hook up and that folds together kinda like how tablets can do now with those soft cases.

There is a Kickstarter out there for a 24" dlp umbrella folding monitor that weighs 2lbs and collapses into a smallish bundle.
That might be what you're looking for?

There is a Kickstarter out there for a 24" dlp umbrella folding monitor that weighs 2lbs and collapses into a smallish bundle.
That might be what you're looking for?
That looks really sweet, something really portable like that, or like a tablet slim display. But it's still a kickstarter project. They usually take their sweet time with things. I kinda want to buy a portable display now so I have one ready for when the Pyra comes (hoping for a February 2017)
But thanks for the suggestion.

That looks really sweet, something really portable like that, or like a tablet slim display. But it's still a kickstarter project. They usually take their sweet time with things. I kinda want to buy a portable display now so I have one ready for when the Pyra comes (hoping for a February 2017)
But thanks for the suggestion.

Pre-purchasing hardware to go with a device that doesn't exist yet can be a long road.

Long ago I pre-ordered a Tapwave Zodiac 2 and participated in their beta testing software releases. I bought a pair of 256MB SD cards to go with it. Then 6 months later when it looked like it was finally going to ship I bought a pair of 512MB SD cards to go with it. Then 6 months later when it looked like it was finally going to ship I bought a pair of 1GB SD cards to go with it. After it finally shipped I bought a pair of 2GB SD cards to go with it - then 6 months after that a pair of 4GB SD cards to go with it (which is where the device maxed out).

Long ago I pre-ordered a Pandora - I was in the first 125 people to do so. I bought a pair of 8GB SD cards to go with it. Then a year later when it looked like it was going to ship I bought a pair of 16GB SD cards to go with it. Then another year and a half later when I got my Pandora I bought a pair of 32GB SD cards to go with it. In the end I was using a 256GB SD card and a 128GB SD card.

Over a year ago I pre-ordered a Prototype Pyra - I was the 8th person to do so. I haven't purchased any SD cards for it, but I did purchase a bunch of microUSB 3.0 adapters and a microUSB 3.0 hub/reader to go with it. Lucky for me I can use those on my 4 phones (Galaxy Note 3). I'm kind of glad I did that - those items have become harder to find now. I considered purchasing a Glyph on Kickstarter to go with my Pyra - then decided that was silly since the Pyra was still a ways out. I recently gave serious thoughts to buying this $400 collapsible screen to go with my Pyra - then decided that was silly too.

Don't get me wrong - I think the Pyra is getting closer, but buying peripherals for it before I/you/we have them can get easily out of hand. Just be patient - which is very difficult - and then figure out what you need when you actually have the device. At least that is what I keep trying to tell myself anyway.

So it's a beamer in a foldable pillow? Clever.
Hopefully it doesn't deform itself too much after a while, the screen already lookes quite bulged, which somewhat emulates a CRT look and might be great for 8-16bit console emulation.

Lovely story xD
It's convincing. I'm probably gonna stay away from anything until I got the Pyra in my hands from now on.

I'd have thought a 720p projector would pretty much top out at 24".
My old 720p Optima and even older 1024x768 Viewsonic DLP projectors where bright enough to fill a 200" screen, granted they had to be on the other side of the house to do that. But I did have it on my 120" screen I'm still using today with my 1080p projector.

Yeah, I was thinking more in terms of being able to see all of those pixels, but I guess people were using 720p projectors on 6ft screens all through the 2000s, thinking of it. I do think it might be problematic to make a short throw projector handle it though. You could make the whole thing four times bigger, and hopefully excessive colour aberrations wouldn't show up, but it you wanted something still portable and quite small, you'd presumably need a much more expensive lens to do that. Once it gets above a certain size and expense, you won't be much worse off with a cheapo LCD screen, which would still be relatively luggable. That said, I've never come across a battery powered LCD screen, although I've spent absolutely no time yet looking for one.

Well, there is the ThinkVision LT1421, which - if I remember correctly - got fairly decent reviews

I've looked at the GeChic onces, they are really slim and portable and I love that. Will have a second look at them when I get my Pyra.
The GAEMS one looks good for gaming but a bit more bulky, I could see how others may like it, if they want it for a specificity location like a car or something...

I'd have thought a 720p projector would pretty much top out at 24".
The key difference between a monitor and a DLP projector is that each pixel in the projector is one uniform colour. You get really close to your monitor and you can pick out the individual red, green, and blue dots. A projector has no such split, the three colours are overlaid directly on each other making one large uniform pixel instead of three smaller uni-colour pixels. The end result of this is that projectors can actually go much larger without losing any perceived quality.

Back