Using Mobile internet

captuk

Still Fresh
HI there can you tell me if the Pandora is compatible with say Vodaphone or 3g mobile usb sticks?

If so i think i will treat myself.

I wouldn't think so. They use their own proprietary software & drivers, yeah? The best bet for getting Pandora online is either wifi, or bluetooth tethering to a 3G phone.

Another option is to use a USB cable to a phone. Not ideal, particularly when bluetooth is available, but that's how I've been using my UK T-mobile k800i with my Asus eee. I'm hoping to manage something similar with bluetooth on the Pandora. That'll be pretty easy as long as the hardware supports it (I think it will).

Vodafone and 3G USB sticks are based on the E220 chipset which has been working in Linux for a while.

It shouldn't be a problem to port these drivers.

As far as I know these 3G-USB-Sticks use a usb-serial converter chip (these have open source drivers comming with vanilla kernel) and the modem behind this is AT-compatible (i.e. you can use simple AT-commands to dial etc.)

On the gp32x forums, someone said that Ubuntu has a huge repository of drivers for 3G USB sticks

Ive got an HTC s620 with unlimited data and calls. First things I'm going to try are bluetooth to GPRS and bluetooth to dial-up.

No idea if the dial-up thing is even possible but I work for a large telecom company so someone will know.

I sincerely doubt, T-Mobile are going to help you get anything working on the Pandora. They may tell your their 3G connection settings for a PC, which you'll have to use on the Pandora's configuration...

cervante said:
now this will be done through unbutu ?
if the drivers are available and open source, you could port them to the pandOS as well

Erm... now you wait for Pandora to turn up at your front door :p

--
Try connecting to 3G using your desktop/laptop running linux.

:D

No NO NO!! ........ thats the hard way :p

I`m on Ubuntu and I`m connected to the net right now via a "3" Huwaei E220 usb 3G/HSDPA modem

it`s easy as chips, all you need is Wvdial, the modem acts as a dialup modem via Wvdial, the E220 is supported in the kernel, no drivers or uber geekness needed

just do

sudo wvdialconf

to set up Wvdial so it can see the modem and know all about it

then alter the file etc/wvdial.config , google for the settings to need to alter or ask when you get your pandora and I`ll post my config file, then you can just do

wvdial hsdpa

from the terminal, or make a desktop shortcut to start it, or put the call in a startup script somewhere (your call)

easy

hobbyman

ps: DO NOT use the vodaphone application for "3" or T-Mobile, if you do some more searching you will find it leads to a world of hurt, plus you can fubar your modem (maybe), and there's a fancy installer script out there thats supposed this all automagicaly, but it doesn`t seem to work under Hardy.

Or if anyone has a N95 (or S60 phone with 3g and Wifi) can use Joiku Spot Light. It basically turns your phone into a wireless router so any wifi device connects to your phone as uses its mobile internet, it dishes out DHCP addresses and everything

http://www.joiku.com/?action=products&m ... uct_id=310

As for 3g Dongles, the E220 is by far the most popular so its worth trying to add support for that, it would be a good selling point if it was compatible and had a fairly easy to use program/wizard.

:wacko: you don`t need to look into it, as I just said, support for E220 modems (and a load of other usb modems) are now built in to the Linux kernel by default, no need for drivers, nothing, just wvdial to send the modem the correct control strings, I guess the only reason you WOULD need to do anything is if someone compiled the kernel without the default flags set, leaving out the embedded modem drivers, can`t see why anyone would though, and if they did you just have to recompile the kernel to replace the modem support.

Hobbyman

Edit: on my eeepc the E220 is automatically recognised and configured in the "add network connection" tool in the internet tab, you could copy that method.

"E220 is supported natively by Linux Kernel 2.6.20 or higher, over usbserial.ko (usbserial-generic) interface."

The Debian wiki mentions this and explains how to get it working on older Linux kernels:

http://wiki.debian.org/Huawei/E220

I'm hoping to get this working as soon as I get my Pandora for general internet, ssh and vnc access back to my home server. :D

The Huawei E220 is (at least in the UK) quite in-expensive if you buy it out right (approx 45 GBP), or free if you buy it in conjunction with a mobile broadband deal e.g. about a tenner with 3.

Also, this particular model's firmware can be upgraded to support HSDPA 7.2mbs instead of the "official" 3.6mbps... :wink:

Back