Using SD cards >32 GB?

Kelvin

Pixel Mercenary
Website
www.kelvinshadewing.net
The wiki shows a list of SD cards over 32 gigs that are supported, but when I tried one, it refused to mount. When I tried to format it, for some reason, I could only format as exFAT, not FAT32, and after doing that, it still didn't mount. What am I missing?

Yep, Windows tries to force you into using exFAT.

There's an exFAT driver somewhere for the Pandora, or you  can use gparted (on PC or Pandora) to format it with FAT32.

Yep, Windows tries to force you into using exFAT.

There's an exFAT driver somewhere for the Pandora, or you  can use gparted (on PC or Pandora) to format it with FAT32.
I really dislike FAT32. Is there something other than exFAT that supports unlimited file size?

ext2,ext3,ext4(Not Windows Friendly), NTFS (Requires Codec Pack)

The wiki shows a list of SD cards over 32 gigs that are supported, but when I tried one, it refused to mount. When I tried to format it, for some reason, I could only format as exFAT, not FAT32, and after doing that, it still didn't mount. What am I missing?
Try this one.  It formats any size card in Fat32

guiformat.zip

Attachments

• guiformat.zip
    30.9 KB · Views: 112
You choose the SD card, select format, select fat32 and click apply.. how is that not user friendly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you miss a step.  Where's the Unmount step?  You can't choose format before you unmount.

What if the user has only one 64GB card when he first purchased the Pandora.  He first needs to download the GParted PND, but if the Pandora can't mount the 64GB card first where does the use put the PND?  It's a chicken-or-egg problem right?

Use another SD card..

If it doesn't mount then it works out fine. It's not mounted he can format it.

It's more trusted then some odd Windows executable attached to a forum post that could be virus or malware ridden.. Also it's legality of distributing said program could also be in question.

Well, that's what I said if he has only one card.  This is the problem I had when I first purchase the pandora.  I had only one 64GB card and Pandora didn't recognize it so I can't put GParted on it to begin with.  So I had to use Windows...

Well, that's what I said if he has only one card.  This is the problem I had when I first purchase the pandora.  I had only one 64GB card and Pandora didn't recognize it so I can't put GParted on it to begin with.  So I had to use Windows...
Not tested, but couldn't you put the gparted pnd in the pandora folder that can be found on the NAND in that case?

Not tested, but couldn't you put the gparted pnd in the pandora folder that can be found on the NAND in that case?
Nope.  Not from PNDStore.  It will try to put it in /usr/pandora/apps on the NAND which you don't have permission to.  Well you migh be able to work around that but like I said, it's not user friendly for new comers.....

OK, guys, calm down now. To set the record straight, I'd heard Pandora only supports 32GB cards, so I went and bought two of them, one for apps, one for files. I just wanna get bigger cards working now that I've heard it's possible in case I ever feel like watching movies when I travel or something.

I'm using 2x64GB on pandora.  "I'd heard Pandora only supports 32GB cards".  Where had you heard this?  It's totally wrong.  Some forum members use 2x128GB!

The original openpandora page used to say 32GB.. but no one had anything bigger back then so it was never confirmed it could do more until larger SD cards became affordable.

Back