v2 (or v1.5) could be take over the world

I've had my Panda for a few days now and I think the build quality is great. I have barely had time to install anything on it yet and I'm already in love. I think that there are several people on this forum that simply never understood what the product was supposed to be or else they had expectations that were beyond the product. I consider myself an educated consumer. I read previews and reviews until I could practically touch/feel/taste the Pandora. I knew what it was and once I held it for the first time it was like hugging an old friend for the first time.

I dont see the Viliv N5 taking over the world...

n5_img03.jpg

http://www.dynamism.com/top-notebooks/viliv-n5.shtml

They managed to stuff an Intel Atom, 1GB RAM, 64GB SSD, MicroSDHC, Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, 3G and more into a package smaller than the Pandora with a 6 hour battery life. I should have bought this instead of Pandora!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^now thats what i want my phone to look like....that thing seems to have a lot going for itself, im skeptical on the 6hour battery but whatever

They managed to stuff an Intel Atom, 1GB RAM, 64GB SSD, MicroSDHC, Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, 3G and more into a package smaller than the Pandora with a 6 hour battery life. I should have bought this instead of Pandora!
It is not smaller than a Pandora. It's more than an inch longer, although slightly thinner. It also weighs more, and costs more.

Actually, the Viliv N5 has sold a considerable amount of units since it launched many moons ago. Didn't take over the world in any standard, but was quite an accomplishment nonetheless.

It is not smaller than a Pandora. It's more than an inch longer, although slightly thinner. It also weighs more, and costs more.
I assumed it was smaller because I tried to hold my Pandora in the same way it was held in the picture and couldn't even get my fingers to touch the bottom when my thumb is at the top. Unlike the Pandora it seems to have way better build quality with its rubbery matte plastic while the Pandora has a cheap plastic feel.

Look: I'm a fan. Really. The nubs are the best on the planet. The keyboard and buttons all work fine. Its functionality is unequaled. Which is why I wish it didn't have just a couple of really serious design problems.

If it was just 1/4" thinner, and didn't look and feel like nasty cheap plastic (yes, I'm aware how hard that had to have been to design; no, it doesn't matter), I believe it would be a much better thing and they would sell several times as many units.

Look: I'm a fan. Really. The nubs are the best on the planet.
To be honest and in my own personal opinion & experience...The analogue nub (1 single nub only unfortunately) on Nintendo 3DS is the best I've ever had the pleasure of seeing and using on a portable gaming console or anything else portable for that matter.

As for gaming consoles, PS1/PS2/PS3 has the best analogue sticks ever with GameCube coming a close second. Once again, in my own personal opinion & experience of course.

And it has no gaming controls. The Pandora design is so tight, even the USB slot *just* fits in between the nubs.

Newer chips, which we would need to make the Pandora more powerful, are bigger than the OMAP3 so even less space is available.

Look: I'm a fan. Really. The nubs are the best on the planet. The keyboard and buttons all work fine. Its functionality is unequaled. Which is why I wish it didn't have just a couple of really serious design problems.

If it was just 1/4" thinner, and didn't look and feel like nasty cheap plastic (yes, I'm aware how hard that had to have been to design; no, it doesn't matter), I believe it would be a much better thing and they would sell several times as many units.

It is made of exactly the same plastic as everything else, PC-ABS. Oh you mean it isn't shiny and finger print attracting like your iPhone? That was a design choice backed by the forum. Making plastic look like an iPhone just involves polishing the moulds. The plastic would be the same.

Also, how would we make it 1/4" thinner?

You seem to be doing the usual 'just do this' 'just do that' approach we see in here all the time. Unfortunately you can't just do 'this or that' as often the technology does not exist to 'just do it'.

You're confusing putting a PC in a small case with putting a PC AND *good* gaming controls and battery life in to a small case.

Your accusation that the case is 'rubbish' is just going to show you have no idea of how cleverly it is engineered, how it is as small as it can be (tolerances of fractions of mm) this misapprehension is discrediting the rest of your posts, not to mention irritating the people who spent the good part of a year designing the case.

You might want to look up the dozens of previous posts which essentially say the same thing you are saying going back 3 years.

Just because you can think of these 'really cool ideas' does not mean they are possible.

I suggest if you believe it can be done you design some cases, have them rapid prototyped and come back here and show us how to do it, and we will buy your case design from you in an instant.

PS you might need to invent a new way of making an analogue control thinner (as well as various other technologies) too.

Craigix, sadly some people don't understand what you explain to them.

I'm starting to understand a tad better why you're a little abrupt (hard to find a better word with my limited vocabulary) in some of your post.

It is made of exactly the same [polymer alloy] as [used extensively in various applications because of its superior properties], PC-ABS.
Chalk up one more for anyone who invokes the phrase "cheap plastic" to deride a product doesn't know what they're talking about, with the contrary score remaining an uninspiring zero.

Meanwhile the audiophiles have noted pains have been taken to accomodate them and the control coinsures seem to be pleased. The screen comparisons made it look like it held up well, and otherwise I get the impression a lot of work went into designing things to work well.

And if things stay to the expected schedule I may even see one of these devices in person after it show up on my doorstep sometime in June.

I would pay $500 for an OP that was 2/3 as thick with a decent case (metal would be heaven).
Would this be Soviet Russia style engineering where you use your stamped steel box of wonders as an improvised knife and to beat in nails, or Soviet Apple compromised Aluminum that is casually crushed in your hand, or a Magnesium die cast that you can light on fire? Wondering minds want to know.

Back