Suggestions for the front page

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
I am recommending Pandora to everyone that I meet here and there, and they are interested. I think that you should change few things, so that I'll have less explaining to them:

The photo of pandora should show different thing on the screen, not stupid "loading angstrom", but:

- firefox

- a terminal

- and a game in some window.

- in the taskbar a minimized abiword,

- in the taskbar battery life should display about 10 hours.

The opening quote "The most powerful gaming handheld there is" (everyone laughs at that, saying that their cellphone has faster processor, which is true), should be replaced with: "The smallest portable PC for gaming, browsing and remote administration".

thank you for your attention, OP team.

Last edited by a moderator:
[…]

"The smallest portable PC for gaming, browsing and remote administration".

[…]

I agree, the problem with your sentence is that most of the people read "PC" as Microsoft/Windows.

That's why "handheld computer" or something like that would be better
wink.gif

My 2¢: Last week i was reading about RPGs and came across Battle for Wesnoth then read it was available for something called "OpenPandora" (not even listed on their wikipedia page). That's how i discovered you guys, a fluke. Seems to me getting the word out that pandora even exists is more important than what's on the front page of your website.

sounds like a good idea, but I´d hold off of a media blitz till the preorders were almost done. Then check out some market research and see which avenues would be worth advertising with (game sites, magazines, etc), just make it clear that its not windows, because everybody comments that the OS looks like windows, which is not bad, but just so that its not misunderstood.

I would suggest using jQuery to cycle through different images for the pandora(not like moving left or right, but fading with a non-linear ease) with all these images. And please DO NOT simulate the screen, just do some remote control magic to set the screen up and leave the camera in place so the angle is exactly the same.

I'm willing to help with the cycling if it is an accepted idea. I don't think all of the enumerated things that cosurgi mentioned can fit all in one shot.

I am recommending Pandora to everyone that I meet here and there, and they are interested. I think that you should change few things, so that I'll have less explaining to them:

The photo of pandora should show different thing on the screen, not stupid "loading angstrom", but:

- firefox

- a terminal

- and a game in some window.

- in the taskbar a minimized abiword,

- in the taskbar battery life should display about 10 hours.

The opening quote "The most powerful gaming handheld there is" (everyone laughs at that, saying that their cellphone has faster processor, which is true), should be replaced with: "The smallest portable PC for gaming, browsing and remote administration".

thank you for your attention, OP team.
+1 on all.

We need someone with good Photoshop skills to help out, can't make ED do everything! I'll edit the thread title to put the call out.

While we're at it: I think the slogan "Ultra portability without sacrificing capability" is as unflattering as it gets. "100% portable. 0% compromise", maybe. Or pretty much anything, as long as it doesn't sound like an excuse.

My 2¢: Last week i was reading about RPGs and came across Battle for Wesnoth then read it was available for something called "OpenPandora" (not even listed on their wikipedia page). That's how i discovered you guys, a fluke. Seems to me getting the word out that pandora even exists is more important than what's on the front page of your website.
Getting the word out is not actually a problem. If they had supply, yes, but they sold out first batch 2 years ago, and second batch has been pretty full for a since then as well, not to mention that extra price premiums that have been sold recently.

No, getting the word out would be a problem if they actually had consoles to sell, but they need to finish back orders first. As soon as they're caught up, they can place the advertising, and more sales will roll in, but for right now they need to focus on building. If they advertise, most people that come looking aren't likely to be willing to wait for months while those of us that waited years get ours.

It would be cool if all the image editing was done on with a program that runs on the Pandora natively, i.e. GIMP. I'm not sure if it could be done on the Pandora though, might be false advertising. . .

I would suggest using jQuery to cycle through different images for the pandora(not like moving left or right, but fading with a non-linear ease) with all these images. And please DO NOT simulate the screen, just do some remote control magic to set the screen up and leave the camera in place so the angle is exactly the same.

I'm willing to help with the cycling if it is an accepted idea. I don't think all of the enumerated things that cosurgi mentioned can fit all in one shot.

I agree except for the keeping the same angle, since it would be more difficult than necessary. Just change the zoom/angle for each shot, and it will look just as good with the sliding/fading effects.

I like the idea of keeping the same screen angle and position. If I had my Pandora I'd set this up and shoot it. With the exception that I'd also screen capture and overlay the captures over the photographed screen for clarity. Realistically, getting good lighting of the unit *and* a clear picture on the screen is difficult, if not impossible, but with the same image on the screen that you have to overlay, it can be enhanced to perfection.

jQuery.cycle(); (or $.cycle(); if you're not being explicit) is a cakewalk. But the photography would take some time, effort and patience.

My 2 cents: higher resolution, deep depth of field product pictures. Move all old renders (including the one in the header) somewhere they won't be confused for the shipping model - people don't like to be misled by renders. I really wanted that transparent topped resin keymat, too. ;p

I also agree that "ultra portability without sacrificing capability" should probably go. It's not very positive, though probably is better than "We waited so you don't have to!".

Today morning there was a good sun, so I made some photos, and added "83mm" "140mm" markers with gimp. I hope that ED will like it. Also, I'm sorry about 4h battery life :) I wanted 10h, but I left pandora running overnight beside my bed, without charger. But careful person will see that those 4 are 49%. Err, that doesn't make up 10h, it's because wifi was on. omg, I noticed this too late, and now the only way to fix it is with gimp, because the sun has moved, and I will not have that good lighting.

I think that those two photos are the best ones:

DSC_0040_good_2_SMALL.png

If this image is clicked on front page, it should open this high resolution version

DSC_0022_good_3_SMALL.png

If this image is clicked on front page, it should open this high resolution version.

and few more:

DSC_0025_good_3_SMALL.png

If this image is clicked on front page, it should open this high resolution version

DSC_0034_good_1_SMALL.png

Also, I made a lot more photos, those few are just picked, you can download everything, and try your gimp skills (or photoshop), and post some more pictures.

All photos, very high resolution

Back